• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Video: Former Carolina Panther Devin Funchess

Jeremy Igo

Being just 24 years old still, I think Funchess can definitely help a team. He just isn't what we need at this point. People will rip Gettleman for this pick too, but he was a really good prospect coming out, especially considering his age. 

The whole idea that you bring  in bigger WRs because your QB has accuracy issues is one of the most illogical decisions this franchise ever made.  Here is why--bigger WRs get less separation.  While the catch radius is indeed larger, there is often a DB in it. 

Secondly, if the big WRs (we valued size over hands) drop a lot of passes, then you have to consider the 4 inches you gained in catch radius is nullified. 

What we are doing now makes more sense.  Higher percentage passes to WRs with better hands who can run after the catch.

1 hour ago, steven8989 said:

I'm glad he is gone, but nervous to see what we do at wr. I mean we have DJ , and Wright. Samuel has had injury issues so are we going after a good FA wr? 

Torrey Smith is still the vet on the roster, albeit at $5M. I don't know that you'll find another vet out there for much less (maybe?), so it could be they keep Torrey.

At first, I felt real skeptical after we traded KB but was actually impressed by his performance (34 rec, 562 yds, 5 TDs in 9 games). It was his performance this season that really disappointed me, especially after losing to Detroit. Sorry bro, but you were WAY too inconsistent. Cap was right back in '16:

"Me personally, and I never talk like this, but I don't think he is that good, No. 17. So, we weren't worried about that. We were worried about Benjamin and Ted Ginn, Jr and Corey Brown".

We should've traded KB right away after '15 season & continue the same receiving corps we already had. Oh well.

Funchess' biggest problem to me is that he doesn't use his size well at all. He was terrible in contested situations, which he should have been dominating. 

I mean Steve Smith was the best WR I've ever seen when a ball was contested and he is 5'9"

That being said, I hope someone PAYS Williams and Funchess so we get comp picks for two average players 

1 hour ago, Raleigh PF said:

Torrey Smith is still the vet on the roster, albeit at $5M. I don't know that you'll find another vet out there for much less (maybe?), so it could be they keep Torrey.

I didnt list him because he should be gone. I'm not paying 5 mil for a guy that only catches 17 passes all year and shows up for one game. It's time to bring in production. Tired of all this we need vets to come show young guys stuff, we need them to come play and produce.

28 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

i think he overachieved considering he was very young and a project coming out of school but by all means don’t let me stop you from keeping the hate parade going

Dude are you David Gettleman? You have literally took up for all the bad moves he has made with the guys he drafted or picked up. If not u must be part of his family.

1 hour ago, rbsponsel52 said:

You seem to have forgotten about the best WR we had in Steve Smith. He was not a bad draft pick. He was also small and dangerous to defend against.

I bet if Smitty suited up for one more year he'd bring more to the Panthers squad this year than Whitten will bring to Dallas.  

Panthers could use a healthy dollop of Smitty's intensity and most importantly -- leadership.

The ship is rudderless...

Archived