• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Raleigh to get AAF team?

Jeremy Igo

So, the owner of the Hurricanes bought the AAF.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article226452965.html

"The Carolina Hurricanes owner was named chairman of the new Alliance of American Football on Tuesday after stepping in with a $250 million investment to become the league’s primary investor"

Seems likely he will want a franchise in Raleigh which would make them instantly the official AAF team of the Huddle.

Said this the other thread and I won’t be as long winded here about it but I think it would be really tough to build a strong fan base in Raleigh in the middle of college basketball season and it would probably never happen for that reason if the guy who essentially bought the league didn’t specifically want a team there since he owns another professional team in the city. I think it’s a really bad place to put a team in a brand new league.

That said I really hope it happens because I would love a spring football team to follow.

37 minutes ago, Paintballr said:

Would it not be a conflict if he is basically the chairman of the league and then gets a team in Raleigh? Or would be put one there with a different owner?

I think he technically now owns all the teams...

3 hours ago, Bartin said:

Said this the other thread and I won’t be as long winded here about it but I think it would be really tough to build a strong fan base in Raleigh in the middle of college basketball season and it would probably never happen for that reason if the guy who essentially bought the league didn’t specifically want a team there since he owns another professional team in the city. I think it’s a really bad place to put a team in a brand new league.

That said I really hope it happens because I would love a spring football team to follow.

Charleston please

Thought payroll wasn’t being met so he helped out!! Just going by the rumors I heard.. also heard an interview from the man himself that he liked football and thought the league would be a great development area for prospects for the NFL.. and he wanted to help.. that’s what I heard.. so this helps Raleigh!!

I believe Dundon already said in an interview on 99.9 that he was going to try to bring a team to Raleigh.

He could bring back the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks name (drop Durham and just go with the Raleigh Skyhawks). The team was named after the Wright brothers first flight and kind of has a nice ring to it.

The Skyhawks were a WLAF team that played at Carter-Finley and were owned by the evil George Schinn. The QB was none other than Mark Maye (father of Luke Maye).

This would never work logistically for a league as big as the AAF but the WDFL forced their teams to recruit and sign players that were from the area of the team. I feel like a team comprised of Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, South Carolina, and Clemson players would be cool for the fans. They would get to pull for players that they know and have grown to love.

Archived