• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

simple offseason plan

ericr0319

7 minutes ago, musicman said:

I think we keep Kalil because we need a back up LT anyway. If we have to pay him anyway, might as well take the hit and keep him 1 more year.

We have a bigger out next season, that is for sure but he would be one of the least capable backups on the roster. I would certainly argue that couch free agent Chris Clark was more effective than Kalil. 

On 2/14/2019 at 2:37 PM, ericr0319 said:

Some of these moves might seem drastic, but after last year we need to make some changes. The two on this list I feel are unlikely to happen are Mario and Poe. But Poe’s last year was terrible, and the dude is just fat. Below are my recommendations. If I am off in any of these numbers then please let me know. 

Cuts:
Matt Kalil – Saves $7.25 mil (June 1, $9.8 mil cap hit 2020). 
Torrey Smith – Saves $5 mil.
Captain Munnerlyn – Saves $2 mil. The guy is just bad. We could save more as a June 1, but no need to eat into cap next year.
Mario Addison – Saves $6 mil. We could save more as a June 1 cut, but we will need his cap room in free agency. 
Dontari Poe – Saves $6 mil. (June 1, $3.33 mil cap hit in 2020).
Da’Norris Searcy – Saves $1.76 mil.
Vernon Butler – Saves $1.5 mil

I am in favor for cutting Gano, but from what I can see his contract does not give us a smart money out. Let me know if I am in correct.
This adds $29.51 mil in cap room and about $46 mil (less Eric Reid’s 2019 salary). I expect other small players to be cut adding another $2-3 mil and the cap to rise. This year we do not have a lot of significant current roster to sign. 

I am a fan of re-signing Daryl Williams. It is not a risky move if you do it correctly and it gives us two tackles, something we have not had in a long time. It also clears the need for OT in the first 3 rounds. This way we focus on D-line (after making necessary cuts and interior O-line (LG and C). Few depth guys to look at: Kyle Love, Wes Horton, and David Mayo are all someone to look at.

Free Agents:
The only spot I want to spend significant money on is our other safety spot. This is a deep Safety FA class. Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, Ha-Ha, but my favorite Landon Collins. I think we play it smart and lay low. Make one big move at S, then let the market fizzle out then add a DE or DT in free agency.

Draft:
Round 1: DE/DT
Round 2: Center (from what I see, thus far, it is a deep center draft).
Round 3: DE/DT x2 (I believe we have two 3rds).

I cant see us cutting 7 players. We already have numerous spots to fill. We cant add 7 more spots to fill. 

But, Captain, Torrey and Searcy are no brainers. They should be cut. 

Archived