• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

simple offseason plan

ericr0319

Some of these moves might seem drastic, but after last year we need to make some changes. The two on this list I feel are unlikely to happen are Mario and Poe. But Poe’s last year was terrible, and the dude is just fat. Below are my recommendations. If I am off in any of these numbers then please let me know. 

Cuts:
Matt Kalil – Saves $7.25 mil (June 1, $9.8 mil cap hit 2020). 
Torrey Smith – Saves $5 mil.
Captain Munnerlyn – Saves $2 mil. The guy is just bad. We could save more as a June 1, but no need to eat into cap next year.
Mario Addison – Saves $6 mil. We could save more as a June 1 cut, but we will need his cap room in free agency. 
Dontari Poe – Saves $6 mil. (June 1, $3.33 mil cap hit in 2020).
Da’Norris Searcy – Saves $1.76 mil.
Vernon Butler – Saves $1.5 mil

I am in favor for cutting Gano, but from what I can see his contract does not give us a smart money out. Let me know if I am in correct.
This adds $29.51 mil in cap room and about $46 mil (less Eric Reid’s 2019 salary). I expect other small players to be cut adding another $2-3 mil and the cap to rise. This year we do not have a lot of significant current roster to sign. 

I am a fan of re-signing Daryl Williams. It is not a risky move if you do it correctly and it gives us two tackles, something we have not had in a long time. It also clears the need for OT in the first 3 rounds. This way we focus on D-line (after making necessary cuts and interior O-line (LG and C). Few depth guys to look at: Kyle Love, Wes Horton, and David Mayo are all someone to look at.

Free Agents:
The only spot I want to spend significant money on is our other safety spot. This is a deep Safety FA class. Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, Ha-Ha, but my favorite Landon Collins. I think we play it smart and lay low. Make one big move at S, then let the market fizzle out then add a DE or DT in free agency.

Draft:
Round 1: DE/DT
Round 2: Center (from what I see, thus far, it is a deep center draft).
Round 3: DE/DT x2 (I believe we have two 3rds).

Cutting Kalil and Torrey Smith are no-brainers.

Could easily make arguement for Munnerlyn as well.

Addison ain't going to happen. He is the only starting caliber DE we have and could potentially excel in a 3-4 also.

Poe is similar, and can play NT in a 3-4.

Searcy and Butler cuts probably do t make financial sense either given the small savings vs replacement cost

Even if we keep Williams I still want to go LT early if the value is there. We've seen what happens with injuries on the offensive line. Worst case we kick Moton, Williams or *draft pick* inside. Grab a good veteran pass rusher in free agency and another in the draft. These should be our priorities.

First three rounds? DE, T, C & DT. The value is there.

11 minutes ago, ericr0319 said:

Some of these moves might seem drastic, but after last year we need to make some changes. The two on this list I feel are unlikely to happen are Mario and Poe. But Poe’s last year was terrible, and the dude is just fat. Below are my recommendations. If I am off in any of these numbers then please let me know. 

Cuts:
Captain Munnerlyn – Saves $2 mil. The guy is just bad. We could save more as a June 1, but no need to eat into cap next year.
Mario Addison – Saves $6 mil. We could save more as a June 1 cut, but we will need his cap room in free agency. 

I am in favor for cutting Gano, but from what I can see his contract does not give us a smart money out. Let me know if I am in correct.
This adds $29.51 mil in cap room and about $46 mil (less Eric Reid’s 2019 salary). I expect other small players to be cut adding another $2-3 mil and the cap to rise. This year we do not have a lot of significant current roster to sign. 

I am a fan of re-signing Daryl Williams. It is not a risky move if you do it correctly and it gives us two tackles, something we have not had in a long time. It also clears the need for OT in the first 3 rounds. This way we focus on D-line (after making necessary cuts and interior O-line (LG and C). Few depth guys to look at: Kyle Love, Wes Horton, and David Mayo are all someone to look at.

Free Agents:
The only spot I want to spend significant money on is our other safety spot. This is a deep Safety FA class. Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu, Ha-Ha, but my favorite Landon Collins. I think we play it smart and lay low. Make one big move at S, then let the market fizzle out then add a DE or DT in free agency.

Draft:

Nice job man.

* Matt Kalil - I think we keep him due to the fact that we currently don't have a backup for his position. Even if we re-sign D-Williams, he's a RT and we don't want to move a very good RT in Taylor Moton back to LT. 

* Torrey Smith - agree easy cut.

* Captain Munnerlyn - He's not great but he's the only true nickel on our roster (Corn Elder, Gaulden?). Ask him to take a major pay cut or we just cut his ass outright. 

* Mario Addison - On the contrary, we extend him another year to lower his cap hit this year. He's still the best pass rusher on our team. 

* Dontari Poe - we leave him and his contract alone. 

* Vernon Butler - Keep him on the roster, he may have some trade value. 

* Da'Norris Searcy - agree he's an easy cut 

26 minutes ago, ericr0319 said:

Cuts:

Free Agents:

Draft:

I think it would be best to let Williams walk. I know people see the 2nd team all pro title and think he is a good player, but if you really go back and watch that season he literally had ed dickson helping just about every play, which would suggest panthers didn't have faith that he could hold his on. Plus moton is a very very good RT and its his natural position. Moton and Trai make for one of the best right sides we have ever seen in Carolina. I think it's more important that would get the interior fix. LG and C have to be the priority. Cam's most underrated quality as a QB is his ability to manage the pocket. If his interior is terrible then his is in trouble. Ultimately I believe Cam can work around Matt Kalil (see 2015). Interior of the line was very good tackles were not. Invest in iOL and we will will tons of games 

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Cutting Addison and/or Poe creates new needs in an already very needy offseason. Not a great idea overall unless we plan on tanking next season. Plus, replacements are not likely to be better or cheaper. 

We have needs at DE and DT because those players are not great. 

1 hour ago, ericr0319 said:

We have needs at DE and DT because those players are not great. 

NFL teams don't field teams with great players at every position. Addison is our most productive pass rusher and while Poe was not as good as some anticipated, he is more than serviceable. We already know that depth is going to have to be overhauled at DE and DT because of retirements, free agents and potential cuts. It does not make a lot of sense to gut those positions to the bare bones for the sake of gambling that we can improve on them.

Upgrading from Addison/Poe in free agency would likely cost far more than they cost us. Upgrading from them in the draft is a crap shoot, at best. If you gut the team like that in one offseason, the best options would be to either annihilate the cap through free agency in an attempt to win now or get bad really quickly to try and build through the draft over the next 3-4 offseasons. 

It definitely does not make any sense to cut those two and then cut all the remaining players you mentioned. Just simply look at a depth chart, look at the guys we have on contract after those cuts and see how little all that theoretical cap space would likely matter.

I am not even saying we shouldn't upgrade from those guys but it is not realistic to completely and SUCCESSFULLY overhaul a roster to that extent in one offseason. Especially for a team like ours that has a very, very small core of future players.

CMunnerlyn, Smith and Kalil will be cut especially if we sign Williams. But much of the other cuts are ill advised. Addison is our best rusher. You don't cut a player unless you have a better guy on your roster. Poe isn't effective as a one gap NT trying to get penetration. But as a run stuffer who can take on a double team he could help us in a 3-4 avoid getting gashed up the middle.  

I would hold onto Searcy until free agency and the draft. His cap isn't a burden and I would like to see what Fewell can do with our guys.

10 hours ago, Prime said:

Just had a vision... we trade for Antonio brown and cam comes back healthy as ever next season. DJ, Curtis and Antonio brown all hit 1,000 yards and they become the first trio in nflhistory to hit 1000+ together. Cam wins MVPfor a second time and we are in the bowl against the chiefs. 

Have you looked at the cap figures for AB? He will not be a Panther.

Archived