• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers need a tall "possession" receiver?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think two big, slow WRs with iffy hands are always going to be a recipe for failure no matter what.

Pre-injury Benjamin looked pretty good though. Heck, even Funchess had his moments prior to this season.

I'm also still of the mind that Ricky Proehl wasn't the coaching god that many of us made him out to be.

Speaking of Funchess...

I've said before that I think what started him on the path to his demise was the Benjamin trade. Not the trade itself mind you, but what happened after.

Specifically, the attempt to turn him into a number one receiver.

I think if we had kept him as a number two, the conversation surrounding him right now might sound a lot different. Funchess looked like he could make a decent Alvin Harper, but he wasn't cut out to be a Michael Irvin, and somewhere in the process of trying to make him fit that role, his attitude went south.

Now mind you, even if this all started with a coaching mistake, that ain't no way absolves him from fault. His attitude and work ethic are his own responsibility, no one else's. And he's the one who's going to have to bear the consequences alone.

Maybe the coaches shouldn't have tried to turn him into a number one, but his turning into a diva with a poor attitude can't be blamed on anyone but Funchess himself.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking of Funchess...

I've said before that I think what started him on the path to his demise was the Benjamin trade. Not the trade itself mind you, but what happened after.

Specifically, the attempt to turn him into a number one receiver.

I think if we had kept him as a number two, the conversation surrounding him right now might sound a lot different. Funchess looked like he could make a decent Alvin Harper, but he wasn't cut out to be a Michael Irvin, and somewhere in the process of trying to make him fit that role, his attitude went south.

Now mind you, even if this all started with a coaching mistake, that ain't no way absolves him from fault. His attitude and work ethic are his own responsibility, no one else's. And he's the one who's going to have to bear the consequences alone.

Maybe the coaches shouldn't have tried to turn him into a number one, but his turning into a diva with a poor attitude can't be blamed on anyone but Funchess himself.

He gets open. Seems to me he just has a mental/confidence issue attacking and catching the ball.

It could help but I'm tired of hearing about these shallow philosophies and strategies about how to win. Sure, having a taller WR could be super useful, but that depends on them being a good WR first and tall second. It's like going 3-4. I can understand if the player pool dictates that but if the way the team operates is still transparently predictable, what favorable outcome do you really think comes out of such strategies other than just going through the motions before coming up with an excuse because the real issue was never on the table to address in the first place?

50 minutes ago, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

There are tall, fast WRs. We just never seem to be able to draft them ala Julio Jones, AJ Green, Martavious Bryant, etc. We'll get it together one day.

Yeah, and AJ Green went #4 overall. Julio Jones went #6 with the Falcons trading a king's ransom to get him. Pretty sure Bryant had significant off-field concerns that led to him dropping to the 4th round.

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, and AJ Green went #4 overall. Julio Jones went #6 with the Falcons trading a king's ransom to get him. Pretty sure Bryant had significant off-field concerns that led to him dropping to the 4th round.

Bryant's set to be suspended again if I remember correctly (not that he looked like anything special when he did play).

Still find it funny that all five of the picks Atlanta gave up to get Jones wound up being wasted.

The Cleveland Browns, ladies and gentlemen... :)

17 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

Jarius.  Even though he's short.

Honestly, I think Jarius certainly could be the answer. When called upon last year, he made a lot of difficult catches in traffic and showed a willingness to take a hit for the reception. If we go to battle with him again next season, I hope to see him out there more as the WR3 working the underneath routes. 

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pre-injury Benjamin looked pretty good though. Heck, even Funchess had his moments prior to this season.

I'm also still of the mind that Ricky Proehl wasn't the coaching god that many of us made him out to be.

I'm not sure we've improved since Proehl left, to be honest. Not saying Proehl was great (he may have been), but I don't see an overall improvement with new coaching personnel yet. 

Archived