• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers need a tall "possession" receiver?

Jeremy Igo

Olsen, Thomas, Manhertz are enough height / red-zone threats. I would not be against a FA depth signing, or a day 3 pick in rounds 4-7. But I like the idea of these three as our main options at receiver Moore/Samuel/Wright with Olsen, and Thomas for 11, and 12 sets. 

You look at two of the top 3 receivers in the league (no particular order) and they are 5'10'' (Brown) & 5'11'' (OBJ), the 3rd is Julio 6'3'' and similar to a Calvin Johnson, or even David Johnson back in the HOU Texans days he is an athletic freaks of nature. 

Speed, quickness and the ability to RAC to me are more favorable in the NFL as defenses are not allowed to be as physical. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:34 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

This is the thought process that led to the twin towers failed experiment. There's more room for error throwing to a smaller open receiver than there is a blanketed larger receiver.

And to piggyback on what you said, how ‘accurate’ did TB need to be to throw to Edelman in the SB? Answer: he didn’t. Edelman was WIDE OPEN all game. Cam could’ve easily made every throw TB made to Edelman in that game, provided his shoulder didn’t fall off, so yeah, give me the open-small-WR over the blanketed-big-WR all day long. 

On 2/12/2019 at 8:14 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

So we know Funchess won't be returning. If I am not mistaken the Panthers don't have a starting quality WR over 6 foot. 

Is a tall receiver a thing of the past for this team?

Depends on if cam get his shoulders and throwing height fixed. Might be good to get a couple giants at WR. 10-20 feet wouldn’t be bad.

Do we NEED one....probably not.  Would I like to have one, yes, assuming he can actually catch and will fight for the pass.  If his only qualification is "he sure is big" then no.

But I'd like to have pass rushers, an improved OL, and a FS.  This falls in the tier of needs below that, and behind ensuring we have a replacement for TD and maybe another corner.  I'd be happy if we came out of draft day with a warm, fuzzy about those things. 

As for whether NE had one, that is irrelevant.  For reasons good and bad, Cam is not Tom Brady.  Brady has a long history of making mediocre receivers look good and good receivers look great, often in roles that were not envisioned. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:34 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

This is the thought process that led to the twin towers failed experiment. There's more room for error throwing to a smaller open receiver than there is a blanketed larger receiver.

I'm not sure what to make of that, honestly.

Keep in mind we had Mike "send three guys to the same area" Shula setting the routes at that point.

What we need is just a possession receiver. Tall or short, fast or slow. Doesn't matter nearly as much as being able to spot a seam in the defense, get one yard beyond the line to gain and able to catch rocket in flight.

We've got two great, fast receivers who can make big gains after the catch. They can both stretch the field, and should.

Just need someone who can play the role that Olsen has worked for so many years here. Thomas shows promise, but another built in the mold would be great.

8 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

What we need is just a possession receiver. Tall or short, fast or slow. Doesn't matter nearly as much as being able to spot a seam in the defense, get one yard beyond the line to gain and able to catch rocket in flight.

We've got two great, fast receivers who can make big gains after the catch. They can both stretch the field, and should.

Just need someone who can play the role that Olsen has worked for so many years here. Thomas shows promise, but another built in the mold would be great.

Jarius.  Even though he's short.

Archived