• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers need a tall "possession" receiver?

Jeremy Igo

you most certainly need it. cornerbacks and safeties playing press at the line against a norv turner short yard passing offense on 3rd and 4 need to be able to box out and grab those three step drop timing routes. we suffered for not having a truly reliable box out receiver at times last year when we didn't have greg available. 

Possession receiver's for the most part are outdated because general mangers and coaches want players that can run the full route tree or at least very close to it. Gettleman missed the ball on Benjamin and Funchess but I do recall him saying before the draft that Beckham Jr. was the best route runner in the draft and obviously he was correct.

The Beckham's, Thomas's, Digg's, and Cooper's are kind of a new breed of receiver as they all have the speed that is so heavily desired but also are very good route runners. Ideally D.J. Moore and Curtis Samuel will develop into the type of players listed above.

However, there's still room for tall receivers with an elite ability to use their body to make receptions; especially tall receivers who also have a great get off. 

Hakeem Butler from Iowa State is someone that I'd take a look at if we are thinking of adding a taller receiver. At 6'6" he has elite size and also has a solid get off, he also uses his body very well to box out smaller defenders and his long strides allow him to outrun defenders.

7 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Possession receiver's for the most part are outdated because general mangers and coaches want players that can run the full route tree or at least very close to it. Gettleman missed the ball on Benjamin and Funchess but I do recall him saying before the draft that Beckham Jr. was the best route runner in the draft and obviously he was correct.

The Beckham's, Thomas's, Digg's, and Cooper's are kind of a new breed of receiver as they all have the speed that is so heavily desired but also are very good route runners. Ideally D.J. Moore and Curtis Samuel will develop into the type of players listed above.

However, there's still room for tall receivers with an elite ability to use their body to make receptions; especially tall receivers who also have a great get off. 

Hakeem Butler from Iowa State is someone that I'd take a look at if we are thinking of adding a taller receiver. At 6'6" he has elite size and also has a solid get off, he also uses his body very well to box out smaller defenders and his long strides allow him to outrun defenders.

What round is he projected to go??

Just now, Sub Zero said:

What round is he projected to go??

So that’s the thing, he’s slotted anywhere from the first to the third. A huge nack on him is that it takes a solid 8 yards for him to build up his speed. He has a good get off but the separation isn’t always there which is why you see a lot of those contested catches.

My guess is he is a second rounder but I’d be interested in him with our third round pick if he’s there.

Ratliff-Williams from UNC is competitive, fairly fast and has good hands.  4 corners mentioned him earlier in threads and I tend to agree especially 4th or later.  He has some juice which didn’t show up as much on Carolinas woeful offense, but he is pretty good.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I submit to you that large tall receivers used to be necessary in the NFL when defenses were allowed to cover.

Now that corners are at a huge disadvantage and unable to play physical, smaller faster receivers are the desired prototype.

Exactly, which means no tall receivers 

4 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Cam will still overthrow him. 

Archived