• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers need a tall "possession" receiver?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

Outside of Wright, Samuels, and Moore I don't think we have anyone on our depth chart that's irreplaceable. I think we could use a taller receiver on the roster.

Tall receivers are great for throwing the fade routes at the back of the end zone. We also have a QB who isn't always the most accurate passer. If we had a guy who could go up and get some of Cam's errant throws and provide a wider catching radius that would actually be beneficial to our passing game anywhere on the field.

We can't rely on Greg Olsen or Ian Thomas to provide that element. Greg can't seem to stay healthy and is on the back end of his career. Ian was a good pick, but he isn't cut from the same mold as Jimmy Graham, Kellen Winslow Sr and Jr, or even Rob Gronkowski. You can line those guys up outside and not miss a beat.

So to answer your question, YES. I think we would be wise to acquire a taller receiver via the draft or in FA if a capable one is available and we can afford him.

What about that Moose Frazier?

Would be nice to have a tall, possession receiver type on our team.  Sadly the last two we tried out ended up being Kelvin "All you can eat for $14.99 buffet" Benjamin and Devin "Soft as baby poo, well besides his stone hands" Funchess.  TBH, most of those throws would have probably been better off being thrown right into the dirt because many of them resulted in interceptions.

I would be much more happy with a guy like Marquiese Brown as a TY Hilton type of receiver for us and having our tight ends as possession guys with Wright.

i still say, as much as Moore and Samuel have improved our speed, neither are true downfield over the shoulder catchers. 

Also, Samuel still has to prove he can do a full workload without injury— 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I submit to you that large tall receivers used to be necessary in the NFL when defenses were allowed to cover.

Now that corners are at a huge disadvantage and unable to play physical, smaller faster receivers are the desired prototype.

Accepting the premise, you still need somebody who can fight for the ball on short yardage and red zone passes though.

We have that with Greg Olsen, but I don't know that we have a wide receiver who fits that bill.

Archived