• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers need a tall "possession" receiver?

Jeremy Igo

Outside of Wright, Samuels, and Moore I don't think we have anyone on our depth chart that's irreplaceable. I think we could use a taller receiver on the roster.

Tall receivers are great for throwing the fade routes at the back of the end zone. We also have a QB who isn't always the most accurate passer. If we had a guy who could go up and get some of Cam's errant throws and provide a wider catching radius that would actually be beneficial to our passing game anywhere on the field.

We can't rely on Greg Olsen or Ian Thomas to provide that element. Greg can't seem to stay healthy and is on the back end of his career. Ian was a good pick, but he isn't cut from the same mold as Jimmy Graham, Kellen Winslow Sr and Jr, or even Rob Gronkowski. You can line those guys up outside and not miss a beat.

So to answer your question, YES. I think we would be wise to acquire a taller receiver via the draft or in FA if a capable one is available and we can afford him.

13 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Ask and ye shall receive?

Texans expected to release WR Demaryius Thomas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017653/article/texans-expected-to-release-wr-demaryius-thomas

Pretty sure he was on that top 10 list for drop percentage last season. He was a stud in his younger days but he seems to have really fallen off in recent years.

not at the expense of speed

we have all seen that experiment. big ass tall slow WRs

what we need now is what we already got. speed, Yac, seperation.   with Cams shoulder not looking too hot, we need to have guys that we can get the ball to quickly that can get some yards

we already have them

you can have a dependable 3rd/4th down WR and they dont need to be tall

the whole "we sont have anyone over 6'" thing is over blown...   so what?

"oh we cant do junp balls in the endzone"

who cares. we had that and forced it and it wasnt that effective.  

lets use our trio of guys who can get open amd make plays after the catch. 

aka not worried at all.  in fact, keep slow tall people away and fug anyone who will take snaps away from Samuel and Moore

i am 100% happy with every aspect of our passing game personell

Cam. Moore. Samuel. Wright. Olsen. Thomas. 

go get help for the line and go get a passrush. i dont need a new paintjob on my car when my transmition is fuged up. yeah our pain job might be chipping and might not be looking the best, but gat damn i need to get to work. 

go get OL and DL

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Norv Turner has been said to prefer taller receivers (Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper for example).

Hurney's tendency has been to value speed over size.

I disagree with this.  Other than Moore, what in Hurney's past says that he values speed over size?   Until Moore, it seems that Hurney didn't value speed at all.  Drew Carter is about the only speed receiver I remember Hurney drafting prior to DJ Moore.

If they don't resign Funchess and release Smith, which I think is a possibility that only leaves Samuel, Wright, and Moore.

At the very least we are going to carry 5 on the 53 man roster.  I think there is a very good chance we sign a cheaper FA and also spend a draft pick on one.  I'm not expecting a first but it would not shock me at if we used a 2nd-4th on one.

I would think one of those 2 will be a larger and/or possession type of receiver.  Does't have to necessarily be a 6'5" type of guy but maybe a 6'1"-6'3" type of receiver.

Archived