• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers need a tall "possession" receiver?

Jeremy Igo

I'd like to think that our TEs could easily fill that role.  I'm not sure if it's a need.

Who'se snaps do they take?  DJ Moore?  Samuel?  Wright?  We're going to run out those guys with CMC, Thomas and Olsen.  That's a lot of dudes who can catch the ball.  DJ made several of those "big" side line plays last year so I think he can fill in there for us.

I'm not sure how we could use another pass catcher unless they are a surprise player from camp.

I think we'll keep an eye on possession receivers in the draft but I don't think we'll force the issue. I do think we're over our jumbo WR obsession. I'd love to see us nab someone like Riley Ridley or Lil'Jordan Humphrey with one of our 3rds.

With Olsen returning and Ian Thomas showing hes legit, I don't think a larger receiver is an immediate need this season even though we'd probably like one.

No, Cam just needs someone who can get open. Cam has shown time and time again that he has better production with smaller, faster receivers. Steve Smith, Ted Ginn, Philly Brown, Desean Jackson in the probowl, and now DJ Moore. I would hope that our tall WR experiment is over. Just get receivers who can get open and actually catch the ball. If a tall WR fits that category that we can get in FA or draft, then even better; but we don't need it.

2 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'd like to think that our TEs could easily fill that role.  I'm not sure if it's a need.

Who'se snaps do they take?  DJ Moore?  Samuel?  Wright?  We're going to run out those guys with CMC, Thomas and Olsen.  That's a lot of dudes who can catch the ball.  DJ made several of those "big" side line plays last year so I think he can fill in there for us.

I'm not sure how we could use another pass catcher unless they are a surprise player from camp.

I hope we planned to have more than 3 WR in the Wr corp right?? It wouldn't  be crazy to mix a big guy red zone target into the group.. 

Advantage of big guys is wider catch radius than the smaller guys, especially with Cam's less than pinpoint accuracy.  We do well with healthy TEs with good hands like Olsen in this regard.  The smaller speedy and shifty guys are only good if they can consistently get separation so Cam can hit them and not risk tipped balls and INTs.

Accurate passers like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc do well with smaller targets, and while I love me some Cam, his consistent accuracy downfield is not one of his strengths.  This past year of dump offs, screens, quick slants had some success early on, but lack of deep threat shortened the field considerably, and other defenses surely took advantage the second half of the season.  We were fortunate that CMCs talent all over the field spread out the D somewhat, but if a D has to only play 20 yards deep, it is a lot harder for the O.

4 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I like Wright but I absolutely think we could upgrade that spot. He's a decent #3 but he'd be a really good #4. I wouldn't neglect to add another WR if the opportunity presented itself because of Jarius Wright. And there's also the issue of depth. If one of our starters goes down, who else do we have? I like our top three guys but beyond them we have nothing.

2 minutes ago, flpanthersfan said:

Advantage of big guys is wider catch radius than the smaller guys, especially with Cam's less than pinpoint accuracy.  We do well with healthy TEs with good hands like Olsen in this regard.  The smaller speedy and shifty guys are only good if they can consistently get separation so Cam can hit them and not risk tipped balls and INTs.

Accurate passers like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc do well with smaller targets, and while I love me some Cam, his consistent accuracy downfield is not one of his strengths.  This past year of dump offs, screens, quick slants had some success early on, but lack of deep threat shortened the field considerably, and other defenses surely took advantage the second half of the season.  We were fortunate that CMCs talent all over the field spread out the D somewhat, but if a D has to only play 20 yards deep, it is a lot harder for the O.

This is the thought process that led to the twin towers failed experiment. There's more room for error throwing to a smaller open receiver than there is a blanketed larger receiver.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I like Wright but I absolutely think we could upgrade that spot. He's a decent #3 but he'd be a really good #4. I wouldn't neglect to add another WR if the opportunity presented itself because of Jarius Wright. And there's also the issue of depth. If one of our starters goes down, who else do we have? I like our top three guys but beyond them we have nothing.

5 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

I hope we planned to have more than 3 WR in the Wr corp right?? It wouldn't  be crazy to mix a big guy red zone target into the group.. 

I'm not saying only run with 3 WRs or ignore any good opportunities, but I just don't see a crazy need right now.  Would it be nice to add a quality player?  Sure.  But I don't think it's worth investing significant draft capital or resources to getting a "tall" guy for the sake of having a tall guy.

5 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'm not saying only run with 3 WRs or ignore any good opportunities, but I just don't see a crazy need right now.  Would it be nice to add a quality player?  Sure.  But I don't think it's worth investing significant draft capital or resources to getting a "tall" guy for the sake of having a tall guy.

A 4th or 5th round pick maybe or a dollar tree FA signing like Dontrell Inman??

Archived