• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The case for BPA all day

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I would not pass up a stud taller receiver or an athletic tight end. Thomas showed potential but a top tight end in the draft giving us two tight end sets in the long term would be shweeet.

Oh it would definitely be shweet, but it would leave a hole elsewhere. A DE, LT, LG, C, or S rated slightly below the WR or TE would help this team much more.

5 hours ago, ncfan said:

TE yes

Im actually Loving this Hockenson kid, reminds me of Baby Gronk 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-iowas-t-j-hockenson-is-destroyer-of-worlds-as-a-blocker-dynamic-pass-catcher/

But WR, when we have such pressing needs elsewhere on D and OL.  Can still go BPA for a Tall receiver later in the Draft, but rounds 1-2. When you need at least 2 impact starters at those other holes

Hockenson will go early because some team will convince themselves he is the next George Kittle.

2 hours ago, Navy_football said:

I don't disagree with anything you said. But I wouldn't use a first rounder on a QB unless I was certain Cam couldn't play, or the team had no plans on bringing him back. One of the two has to be true or you miss the chance to draft an important defensive player in a draft heavy in defensive talent and weak in QB talent. 

In other words, I wouldn't draft a QB in the first round to be a backup. 

That's how you bypass an Aaron Rodgers, though.

I genuinely don’t want to burn another pick in the first three rounds on another WR. I’d go with Deionte or any available DE in round one. Round two, best available OL (any position on it really, would love an instant impact G or C). Round three- DE if we do get Deionte in round one, take the BPA on the DLINE.

I have a ton of confidence in Moore and Samuel as our main wide outs and Wright is a damn good three. Sign someone cheap and effective along the lines of Rishard Mathews or Jermaine Kearse with half of the money ya save by getting rid of Torrey. 

Weve invested a lot in WR in the past five years. (2 first rounders and 2 second rounders in the last five years) and one pick in the first three rounds on OL (last pick of round two for Moton) in the last five years. Colts did that for years and it showed as they were one of the softest teams in the league. They draft OLINE as a focus with a new GM and poof. On their way to being one of the most physical teams in the league.

15 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

So, here is one nice thing about having an older roster that is lacking in talent at so many positions... You truly can grab the BPA in every round and it is highly likely you need him.

Take a moment and think about a position on the field the Panthers could not use a first rounder.

Probably not RB. Other than that? I honestly can't think of a position the Panthers could not use. Help me out.

I don’t like the term BPA. I like BPA within reason... going BPA got us Butler who sat for years behind our stud tds, it worked out with Luke... but if beason never goes down who knows? It got us shaq sitting behind an aging td and Luke until his 5 year which is now. And it got us Benjamin who was reasonable. BPA has us with no decent pass rush options and still a hole at LT we been trying to sign and force right tackles to fill.., just draft a guy that’s reasonably in a position of need. 

Archived