• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The case for BPA all day

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

So, here is one nice thing about having an older roster that is lacking in talent at so many positions... You truly can grab the BPA in every round and it is highly likely you need him.

Take a moment and think about a position on the field the Panthers could not use a first rounder.

Probably not RB. Other than that? I honestly can't think of a position the Panthers could not use. Help me out.

I'd add WR to this and agree that WR or RB are the only two positions that I can safely say the Panthers will not draft in the early rounds.  In their defense, I think you could say the same thing about most of the teams in the NFL.  

BPA works when you have most or all of your holes addressed in FA. however, most years under hurney, our first round pick was by far our biggest offseason acquisition, and when you’re walking into the draft with big holes on your roster, it kinda undermines the ability to just go balls to the wall BPA

that, coupled with the fact that BPA in hurney’s mind seems to be like some guy that fell 4 rounds but was touted as a blue chip on scott wright’s website bc he doesn’t actually know how to project a prospect to be a good pro beyond the top 25, and i rly don’t expect the results on the field to be better in 2019.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Fair game in any round 

I think a first round QB would be a clear indicator the team is moving on from Cam after his contract is up, particularly with so much defensive talent available. The opportunity cost is too high not to think otherwise. Plus a QB at 16 would likely be a reach. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

When you have one whose health is in question, hate to say it but yeah.

Yeah, but I thought all indications were that the surgery went REALLY well. Cam has said it feels better already and he has better range of motion. And for what it's worth, Ron has cosigned that statement via personal observation. 

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

Yeah, but I thought all indications were that the surgery went REALLY well. Cam has said it feels better already and he has better range of motion. And for what it's worth, Ron has cosigned that statement via personal observation. 

"All indications" were good last offseason too.

I somewhat agree in principle to this, we have a lot of needs on the team, but there are a few exceptions I would try to follow mostly in the first round.

People need to remember the first round is expensive and you have to factor that into your decisions.  Our first round pick will average $3.4m a year over four years.  Second round pick is less than half.  Third round pick is a fourth of that.

Could we use another running back.  Yes, but at a first round price it would be a waste because of limit snap counts.  Same with LB.  If we keep Shaq, and the fact teams play nickel a lot, I don't think you would get the snap counts to justify the price.  Shaq is actually a good example of that.  I think Shaq can be a good player, just not convinced we got 1st round value out of him.  Now that he is probably going to play more he is to the expensive part of his contract.

I think we might draft a WR earlier than some people think but I would also be hesitant on drafting one in the first round for the same reason as above.  With Olsen returning I would probably pass on a TE in the first also.

Also center, guard and DT would have to be a good bit better than my next option in the first based on the fact they tend to go later in the draft and are cheaper in free agency.  You could make the same argument for safety because the league seem to be devaluing them but I think that is a mistake.

So basically my priority would be(assumption they keep Shaq and let Williams walk):

1st:  CB, Edge, OT, Safety > DT, C, G only if they are graded a good bit higher than anyone in the first group > trade down before picking a WR, LB, RB,TE

2nd:  CB, Edge, OT, Safety, DT, C, G > WR, TE, LB > RB

3rd:  Whoever has the best chance to make the team.   

9 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I think a first round QB would be a clear indicator the team is moving on from Cam after his contract is up, particularly with so much defensive talent available. The opportunity cost is too high not to think otherwise. Plus a QB at 16 would likely be a reach. 

Newton isn't going to be around forever. In fact, he's only got two years left on his contract and it's not guaranteed that the team and his agent will be on the same page.

It's not so much a matter of "moving on" from Newton, but you have to be prepared for all possibilities.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Newton isn't going to be around forever. In fact, he's only got two years left on his contract and it's not guaranteed that the team and his agent will be on the same page.

It's not so much a matter of "moving on" from Newton, but you have to be prepared for all possibilities.

I don't disagree with anything you said. But I wouldn't use a first rounder on a QB unless I was certain Cam couldn't play, or the team had no plans on bringing him back. One of the two has to be true or you miss the chance to draft an important defensive player in a draft heavy in defensive talent and weak in QB talent. 

In other words, I wouldn't draft a QB in the first round to be a backup. 

4 hours ago, coralreefer_1 said:

So...we want everything except Oline now? The mantra around here for weeks and months was protect Cam.  Last year in preseason it was give Cam weapons. He got them to throw and off to. Now people want to talk about tight ends and tall receivers...when our franchise QB is coming off the SECOND surgery on the SAME shoulder? No, lets get a DT or DE. Fug our athletic QB...he can run!!!

You all are not serious are you? 

They call him Superman for a reason

Archived