• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The off-season has officially begun - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

18 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

I can tell within an hour if I've gotten all of a splinter out or not.  We have a very good chance of not knowing if Cams shoulder is going to hold out or not till the close of next season  if it doesn't go out before.

i've had shoulder issues but never shoulder surgery.  i'll defer to y'all who have on that.   

22 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A few thoughts in the upcoming off-season.

- At the very least. More frequent 3-4 hybrid look is coming. Not sure if a typical 3-4 full time is in the works.

- Everything is sunshine and roses right now as far as news on Cam, but I'm hesitant. At this point no one knows how long into the season his shoulder will hold out. As such, a legitimate backup that could win games if Cam needs a rest is essential. If they don't get one and lose because of it, a house cleaning should be demanded.

- I feel like the Panthers are as good or better at the offensive skill positions than they have ever been

- Overall casual fan interest is way down. Expect a very light training camp crowd. Hardcore fans are hanging tight, but the bandwagon has plenty of empty seating. Of course, this can be quickly reversed with convincing wins.

Anywho, just some random thoughts this morning.

I totally agree with the  Cam statement.  I just hope he heals, and can be the Cam of 2015.

Cam has only once had a big time receiver in his prime ( Smitty) in my opinion.

Love for Cam to have a real #1 receiver .  I believe Moore might be this one day, but he's not there yet.

2003 had some awesome talent.

Stephen Davis was a horse. 1444 rushing

Deshaun Foster was an active back up.

Steve Smith  1110 yrds receiving

Mushin Muhammad  837 receiving

Ricky Proehl   389 receiving

Kris Mangum got most of the TE play , not a big factor

Brad Hoover & Nick Goings rounded out the offense.

I don't think Cam's had that much talent.. Just one persons opinion.

I personally think we’ll see a rerun of 2018 where Cam starts out hot and goes in the tank as the season progresses bc of his arm. 

If the Panthers don’t grab a legit back up, I’ll be shocked. Even with a subpar LT and DEs, this is a 10-11 win team with a healthy QB that is above average. 

54 minutes ago, jtm said:

I personally think we’ll see a rerun of 2018 where Cam starts out hot and goes in the tank as the season progresses bc of his arm. 

If the Panthers don’t grab a legit back up, I’ll be shocked. Even with a subpar LT and DEs, this is a 10-11 win team with a healthy QB that is above average. 

I think they ride Cam or bust. A legit back up (Foles excluded) will not win you a championship. 2020 the cap opens up and the rebuilding will really start if Cam doesn't have a rebound year. I really hope he does and becomes our QB for the next several years. Only 2019 will tell.

1 hour ago, musicman said:

I think they ride Cam or bust. A legit back up (Foles excluded) will not win you a championship. 2020 the cap opens up and the rebuilding will really start if Cam doesn't have a rebound year. I really hope he does and becomes our QB for the next several years. Only 2019 will tell.

I agree that they are going to ride Cam or bust and this is what concerns me.  I actually think this team can make the playoffs with an above average back up with all the offensive talent.  Once you make the playoffs, all bets are off and anything can happen.  

CMC is such a weapon that a lot of Cam's passes last year were not overly difficult and I think a lot of QBs can make those throws.   

On 2/5/2019 at 10:00 AM, RumHam said:

Honestly, either it is or it isn't. Yeah, clawing to 7-9 with Tannehill or Flacco is a big fuging no for me. You go in with Heineken or Kyle or Gilbert. Sink or swim on Cam's arm. If that poo doesn't recover, we tank and take a QB #1 and let Cam walk. This is a business. This should be a rebuild year to reopen the window, and the latch for that window is Cam.

23 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Agreed.

Nobody can ever accuse me of being a Cam Hater, but the NFL is a business.  I don't think Cam's motor will ever break, but if the attachments don't work anymore, its time to move on.  (I'm praying for him that the attachments are back in working order.)

And I think spending a hunk of money on a back-up QB that gives you a coin flip's chance at a few wins is a waste of money.  In the NFL, except in very rare cases, if you lose your established starter at QB you are just fugged, period, and you might as well come to terms with that.

Cam is my favorite player, and I’ve defended him a lot on this board, but I agree with all of this. 

If that shoulder doesn’t hold up, or it appears that he won’t be the same pre shoulder injury, then we move on.

I pray that the shoulder is 100% and lasts, but I’m a panthers fan first and foremost. 

I'm glad most here are in agreeance on that issue, but there's more to it than "Cam is fine or have #1 pick."

Namely the fact that you have to be really, really bad to get the #1 pick and the Panthers are very much not that.

Throw in the reality that tanking isn't a thing, that Rivera rightfully isnt the type to do it, nor would he do so with his seat being so warm anyways, it means one thing:

That tepper and hurney need to have to have the foresight to prepare for making a run at the top pick next offseason, *this* offseason.

The team needs to start stockpiling draft capital now instead of the milquetoast "well let's just wait and see if things get absolutely terrible before we respond, wouldn't wanna overreact!!"

I will say this. When the season ended I was pretty down on this team. 

But looking back on the playoffs. New Orleans and KC were clearly the best teams. We played toe to toe with NO at home and Cam's arm was completely shot at that point. 

If and big if, Cam stays healthy next year, I think there's no reason we can't get in the playoffs and once we're in the playoffs all bets are off. 

21 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Your first two points are very realistic and def something I can see happening. Kinda lost me though with the rest - where did you hear about Taco being available for trade?

Taco is pure speculation. Vern and Taco were both healthy scratches a few weeks(no game day jersey). Both are late first round picks, a big problem with player for player trades is dead money. Since both were drafted close to the same number, the contracts are very similar. I added the pick as compensation since Taco was drafted one year later. Dallas and Carolina run similar systems on defense and both seem to like the same players come draft day. Dallas needs a DT and Carolina needs a DE. It makes perfect sense.

Fozzy remained with Panthers during rehab and was very visible during the events they hold. He's liked by coaches and players. He's able to catch the ball well for an RB and overall has the same skill set as CMC. And most important should come to close the minimum in salary. Me saying he's Jim skippers son is a joke, even though they look alike and he made the roster as a questionable player. 

Archived