• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The off-season has officially begun - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Screw the backup qb. If Cam goes down we are done anyway. No way we can afford 10+ million for a backup who will not win a playoff game. If Cams shoulder cannot hold up this year we must must draft one in the first next year as painful as it is to say. Cam is the best QB we have ever had, and I hope he has a full recovery, but his contract is almost up, and of his shoulder can’t hold up this year we have to move on. We have too many holes on this team to be able to fill them and pay big money for a backup. 

Yep!  I agree 100%. Cams shoulder issues have come up at the best time for the team (if that is possible).  At least we will be able to see next season if he is back to his old self, or if he is damaged goods.  We will then be able to make an informed decision on whether to resign him or not.  The way I look at it, either Cam is back 100% and we dont need a QB for the next 5 years, or we are going to be in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence.

6 hours ago, Growl said:

getting some backup who can come in and claw the panthers to 7-9 if Cam doesn't last is secondary to ensuring the panthers have the ability to move way up for a replacement QB if he doesnt 

there are already teams talking and preparing for next season's QB class. It was a huge talking point on the Miami beat yesterday.

The panthers have to boldly face this or risk one of the biggest long term mistake they have ever made as a a franchise.

This is the truth and I don't think we will pursue a serious back-up QB for that reason. If Cam can't go the long haul, then he's done as a QB. We'll throw in one of the youngsters we have on the roster and either hope for a miracle or a catastrophe of Jimmy Clausen-like proportions. If Cam's shoulder isn't there, then we're going to need the #1 pick in the draft again and wrestle with a $44 million cap hit over 2019 and 2020.

And what do you do with Cam if he can't throw the ball any more? Could he convert to a receiver? (Man, wouldn't that terrify the crap out of every DB in the league that had to cover and try to tackle him???) Seriously, though, I sure hope Cam's healed up and back up to strength, because that's the best option out there. By a long mile.

For all the work to try and make the fan experience better you'd think he'd have the same commitment to make the team better.

Just not buying it. Wants to try and teach an old dog new tricks. Yay. Until we start winning and keep winning I'm not expecting more than the same old thing. They want consistency? How about committing  themselves to being consistent winners rather than committing to the consistency of the status quo.

You committed to winning? Prove it.

3 hours ago, Nate Dogg said:

I feel like I'm as hardcore of a fan as they come. Started watching the Panthers every single Sunday since probably '98 at age 7. Have spent thousands of dollars over the years supporting the team and going to games and away games. Bought PSLs as my first major purchase ever as a young adult after I graduated college. Honestly, I just feel burnt out on it. No news this off season is going to make me get excited about this upcoming season. I don't even plan on attending any games for the first time in over a decade. Keeping Rivera is one thing and I can understand it, but Hurney keeping his job and surviving the change in ownership is mind-blowing. That alone is a pretty major blow to my outlook on the organization. That combined with the uncertain status of Cam's health has me deep down in the dumps right now. I'm just so sick of the status quo for the Panthers. Is anyone else feeling this way? 

You aren't alone. Burned out is a good way to put it. The last bit of excitement I had went to waste when we pissed the season away yet again. We need change, real change but apparently all we're getting is better marketing and  an owner who hangs out with the fans.

4 hours ago, Nate Dogg said:

I feel like I'm as hardcore of a fan as they come. Started watching the Panthers every single Sunday since probably '98 at age 7. Have spent thousands of dollars over the years supporting the team and going to games and away games. Bought PSLs as my first major purchase ever as a young adult after I graduated college. Honestly, I just feel burnt out on it. No news this off season is going to make me get excited about this upcoming season. I don't even plan on attending any games for the first time in over a decade. Keeping Rivera is one thing and I can understand it, but Hurney keeping his job and surviving the change in ownership is mind-blowing. That alone is a pretty major blow to my outlook on the organization. That combined with the uncertain status of Cam's health has me deep down in the dumps right now. I'm just so sick of the status quo for the Panthers. Is anyone else feeling this way? 

That's the spirit !! 

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I feel the exact same way.  Not much enthusiasm left in me regarding this team.  Keeping Hurney around is mind boggling to me.  I just don't have the stomach to watch this team flounder around until its finally obvious to the new owner that Hurney must be removed from the building.

Well you know...as a PSL holder since 2002, I feel the same way

we do have reasons for optimism and reasons  for pessimism

We know  that Tepper will start a season fresh.

Unless Rivera and Hurney produce, it will all be swept away as it should be and we can Expect a QB drafted in rd 1 of 2020.   The removal  will Include scouts, office personnel,, trainers etc

i read somewhere that all of this was too much for a first year owner

Make no mistake that Tepper will clean house if 2019 is a disaster 

maybe it won’t be  maybe they will make the right moves and I’ll feel good about my $5600 dollar a year season ticket investment 

here’s hoping   Why not Hope    I know ‘past is prelude’ but why not hope   I figure as long as Luke and Cam play, we have hope

And honestly, on a glorious Sunday in the Fall in the Carolinas, it is a pretty great way to spend a Sunday afternoon 

I'm calling OT for the first round pick.

Trevor Siemian as the target for backup QB.

Herinay trades Veron Bulter(plus late pick 5/6) for Taco Charlton(plus 6/7 pick). It makes too much sense not too, both where healthy inactive, both on late 1st contracts(dead money similar), Dallas needs DT, Panthers need DE, similar systems, etc.

Fozzy is resigned to be the #2 and main kick returner. (hes skippers son......s/).

26 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Herinay trades Veron Bulter(plus late pick 5/6) for Taco Charlton(plus 6/7 pick). It makes too much sense not too, both where healthy inactive, both on late 1st contracts(dead money similar), Dallas needs DT, Panthers need DE, similar systems, etc.

Fozzy is resigned to be the #2 and main kick returner. (hes skippers son......s/).

Hey now, that's pretty good 

54 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Your first two points are very realistic and def something I can see happening. Kinda lost me though with the rest - where did you hear about Taco being available for trade?

1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

I don't want to waste resources on a slightly better backup QB that prevents several other improvements.

The Eagles are the exception, not the norm.

when you have a QB that you question whether or not can make it through a whole season throwing more than 10 yards down the field, then putting resources towards a backup QB isn't a waste. Until he can prove he's 100%, we need to act like he won't be.

yes, they need a RB to spell CMC, but someone similar to stay with the game plan.

Matt Kalil, keep him as a back up and eat the cap space this year. You have to get a back up anyway why spend more  and get rid of him.

I see OT, S and TE in the 1st 3 rounds. RB is the lower rounds. I think they get a DE DE/LB high in FA. If it really is that RR and MH are on the hot seat, they need people to produce. No 16th pick on the Dline will NOT make an impact that soon (1st year). They need a year or so (usually).

Resigning Reid and R Williams sets the tone for the draft.

And I think Cam will be alright. Scar tissue effects motion and flexibility and it's not a serious operation, so maybe it all works out. Don't want a high priced back up. 

Archived