• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The off-season has officially begun - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Honestly, either it is or it isn't. Yeah, clawing to 7-9 with Tannehill or Flacco is a big fuging no for me. You go in with Heineken or Kyle or Gilbert. Sink or swim on Cam's arm. If that poo doesn't recover, we tank and take a QB #1 and let Cam walk. This is a business. This should be a rebuild year to reopen the window, and the latch for that window is Cam.

Agreed.

Nobody can ever accuse me of being a Cam Hater, but the NFL is a business.  I don't think Cam's motor will ever break, but if the attachments don't work anymore, its time to move on.  (I'm praying for him that the attachments are back in working order.)

And I think spending a hunk of money on a back-up QB that gives you a coin flip's chance at a few wins is a waste of money.  In the NFL, except in very rare cases, if you lose your established starter at QB you are just fugged, period, and you might as well come to terms with that.

Not personnel related but I'd throw in that Tepper building a real practice facility this off season is an important step that is being somewhat overlooked. Ridiculous that an NFL team has to practice in a conference room leading up to games when the weather was bad and there was a lot of bad weather in this area during the football season. 

Screw the backup qb. If Cam goes down we are done anyway. No way we can afford 10+ million for a backup who will not win a playoff game. If Cams shoulder cannot hold up this year we must must draft one in the first next year as painful as it is to say. Cam is the best QB we have ever had, and I hope he has a full recovery, but his contract is almost up, and of his shoulder can’t hold up this year we have to move on. We have too many holes on this team to be able to fill them and pay big money for a backup. 

Don’t see Ron going full 3-4 unless Tepper has assured him he has the time to get the right personnel.. will be a hybrid at least for this year

I can speak from experience when it comes to shoulder surgery, tore two rotator muscles and my bicep tendon.... still dealing with physical therapy 5 months later... said I won’t see 100% use of my arm(if it gets back to 100%)for a year

Got the best offensive skill players as a unit in Panthers history. If Cam can stay healthy Norv will have our offense in the top 5

2019 is a lost season if Cam doesn't recover, and having high draft picks will be critical. The NFL is designed to try and save teams that crash and burn with high draft picks. If we blow what little money we have left on a FA QB so we can make 7-9, then we prevent they NFL draft system from giving us a chance to get what we need. Yes a good QB can be had later in the draft, possibly, but you want your pick of the litter. A terrible 2019 could secure our QB position for the next decade. A 7-9 2019 could leave us in severe trouble. Play Allen if Cam can't go. Let the chips fall where they may.

The word "rebuild" scares people but 

A) Cam's shoulder could be fine and you can fairly expect a Super Bowl run next season as you normally would

B) the Panthers are already in rebuild mode whether you like, and have noticed, it or not. The Panthers may very well have to replace up to 10 of "12" starters defensively over the course of this offseason and next. The offensive rebuild is largely finished.

The inevitable counter to this argument is "so you expect the panthers to just give up if Cam's shoulder becomes a problem again?!?!?!" to which the obvious response is no, I expect the panthers to realize ahead of the fact that they, like 30 other NFL teams, probably aren't doing much with a backup QB and that addressing the QB position means preparing to make a radical jump up the draft board to the best place to get a franchise QB.

Panthers staffing should feel physically nauseous about the prospect of entering the mike Glennon/tyrod Taylor pool that so many teams talk themselves into because it sounds so rational and not extreme while they spend 10+ seasons wallowing in their dreams of mediocrity

A season identical to 2018 will fug us hard. If cam is done I hope it shows early rather than later and getting a bottom half pick when we know we have to draft a new QB.

it pains me to say it but if cam shoulder is poo out of the gate, tank

dont give me the whole play every game to win bs, would anyone here of rather gone 3-13, traded en extra win for cam in 2010 and drafted Gabbert?

Yea. I didn’t think so.

30 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Don’t see Ron going full 3-4 unless Tepper has assured him he has the time to get the right personnel.. will be a hybrid at least for this year

I can speak from experience when it comes to shoulder surgery, tore two rotator muscles and my bicep tendon.... still dealing with physical therapy 5 months later... said I won’t see 100% use of my arm(if it gets back to 100%)for a year

Got the best offensive skill players as a unit in Panthers history. If Cam can stay healthy Norv will have our offense in the top 5

With the skill players, fug the defense right now. We need a line to open holes for CMC and protect the QB. Would rather solidify that now and if we have to get a rookie QB, he will enter the best scenario. They better not even consider letting Amini back on the premises.

2 hours ago, raz said:

its tough to know.  there could have been some scar tissue in the shoulder that really really causes pain.   it could be like a bad splinter, you get it out and everything is fine. or not.   

I can tell within an hour if I've gotten all of a splinter out or not.  We have a very good chance of not knowing if Cams shoulder is going to hold out or not till the close of next season  if it doesn't go out before.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

- Overall casual fan interest is way down. Expect a very light training camp crowd. Hardcore fans are hanging tight, but the bandwagon has plenty of empty seating. Of course, this can be quickly reversed with convincing wins.

I feel like I'm as hardcore of a fan as they come. Started watching the Panthers every single Sunday since probably '98 at age 7. Have spent thousands of dollars over the years supporting the team and going to games and away games. Bought PSLs as my first major purchase ever as a young adult after I graduated college. Honestly, I just feel burnt out on it. No news this off season is going to make me get excited about this upcoming season. I don't even plan on attending any games for the first time in over a decade. Keeping Rivera is one thing and I can understand it, but Hurney keeping his job and surviving the change in ownership is mind-blowing. That alone is a pretty major blow to my outlook on the organization. That combined with the uncertain status of Cam's health has me deep down in the dumps right now. I'm just so sick of the status quo for the Panthers. Is anyone else feeling this way? 

11 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

I feel like I'm as hardcore of a fan as they come. Started watching the Panthers every single Sunday since probably '98 at age 7. Have spent thousands of dollars over the years supporting the team and going to games and away games. Bought PSLs as my first major purchase ever as a young adult after I graduated college. Honestly, I just feel burnt out on it. No news this off season is going to make me get excited about this upcoming season. I don't even plan on attending any games for the first time in over a decade. Keeping Rivera is one thing and I can understand it, but Hurney keeping his job and surviving the change in ownership is mind-blowing. That alone is a pretty major blow to my outlook on the organization. That combined with the uncertain status of Cam's health has me deep down in the dumps right now. I'm just so sick of the status quo for the Panthers. Is anyone else feeling this way? 

I feel the exact same way.  Not much enthusiasm left in me regarding this team.  Keeping Hurney around is mind boggling to me.  I just don't have the stomach to watch this team flounder around until its finally obvious to the new owner that Hurney must be removed from the building.

If what you say is true, and they are looking to go more 3-4 looks, I hope we take a long hard look at signing Clowney in FA. Lke someone else said, Anthony Barr is also a consideration.  Demarcus Lawerance is another one we should keep an eye on.  We just need someone who can make an immediate impact rushing the passer.  I dont really care who it is.

Archived