• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The off-season has officially begun - A few thoughts

Jeremy Igo

A few thoughts in the upcoming off-season.

- At the very least. More frequent 3-4 hybrid look is coming. Not sure if a typical 3-4 full time is in the works.

- Everything is sunshine and roses right now as far as news on Cam, but I'm hesitant. At this point no one knows how long into the season his shoulder will hold out. As such, a legitimate backup that could win games if Cam needs a rest is essential. If they don't get one and lose because of it, a house cleaning should be demanded.

- I feel like the Panthers are as good or better at the offensive skill positions than they have ever been. 

- Overall casual fan interest is way down. Expect a very light training camp crowd. Hardcore fans are hanging tight, but the bandwagon has plenty of empty seating. Of course, this can be quickly reversed with convincing wins.

Anywho, just some random thoughts this morning.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

An NFL season is a very rough road.

Have said many times: Judging by how someone looks in Week 1 is a lot like running 50 feet into a 26 mile marathon and saying "hey, this is easy".

Talk to me around Week 10.

I've always thought that no conclusions can be drawn about players and teams based on the month of September.  The games count, but it is like you just tear the page after four games, post the record, and then things get serious.  We've seen a number of teams own September and then fade to darkness very quickly after that (for several years, that was Buffalo's M.O.).

I share Jeremy's hesitancy on Cam's shoulder.  All the news sounds good, but I am so used to news being spun that I am pretty much skeptical of everything, sports or otherwise.  Even if it is as good as the initial reports, then comes the "for how long" question.  So far, the assessment is "sounds very promising, but we've been down this road before."  I hope that is more of an editorial on the entire process the first time around rather than the physical condition of his shoulder.

getting some backup who can come in and claw the panthers to 7-9 if Cam doesn't last is secondary to ensuring the panthers have the ability to move way up for a replacement QB if he doesnt 

there are already teams talking and preparing for next season's QB class. It was a huge talking point on the Miami beat yesterday.

The panthers have to boldly face this or risk one of the biggest long term mistake they have ever made as a a franchise.

27 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I've always thought that no conclusions can be drawn about players and teams based on the month of September.  The games count, but it is like you just tear the page after four games, post the record, and then things get serious.  We've seen a number of teams own September and then fade to darkness very quickly after that (for several years, that was Buffalo's M.O.).

I share Jeremy's hesitancy on Cam's shoulder.  All the news sounds good, but I am so used to news being spun that I am pretty much skeptical of everything, sports or otherwise.  Even if it is as good as the initial reports, then comes the "for how long" question.  So far, the assessment is "sounds very promising, but we've been down this road before."  I hope that is more of an editorial on the entire process the first time around rather than the physical condition of his shoulder.

Same.

There are plenty of cases where everything "looks good", until it doesn't.

Honestly, either it is or it isn't. Yeah, clawing to 7-9 with Tannehill or Flacco is a big fuging no for me. You go in with Heineken or Kyle or Gilbert. Sink or swim on Cam's arm. If that poo doesn't recover, we tank and take a QB #1 and let Cam walk. This is a business. This should be a rebuild year to reopen the window, and the latch for that window is Cam.

At this point last year, no one thought there was anything wrong with Cams arm even though cam and the team knew something was off. 

They will never say anything negative about his shoulder so I will be skeptical until I see him practicing full time without breaks/ pitch count. 

If we see that pattern again at camp, watch out.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A few thoughts in the upcoming off-season.

- At the very least. More frequent 3-4 hybrid look is coming. Not sure if a typical 3-4 full time is in the works.

Anthony Barr should get a REAL hard look in FA.  Fits this to a T.  Can play 3-4edge rusher, yet can still drop back and play 4-3 OLB.  And won't cost near as much as a Clowney, etc.

- Everything is sunshine and roses right now as far as news on Cam, but I'm hesitant. At this point no one knows how long into the season his shoulder will hold out. As such, a legitimate backup that could win games if Cam needs a rest is essential. If they don't get one and lose because of it, a house cleaning should be demanded.

Going to be plenty of FA vet QBs. RG3, Tyrod Taylor, looking like Tannehill, Fitzpatrick l, just to name a few.  Cam goes down, any of those guys can get us by with the skill guys. 

Hit hard on the OL in the draft, not Necessarily in the 1st.  But can get a Good starting calibre OG and C in rounds 2-3. The loss of Norwell hurt this past offseason.  And we can't Not do anything with the loss of Kalil

- I feel like the Panthers are as good or better at the offensive skill positions than they have ever been. 

A #2 RB needs to be drafted and signed.  CMC is all good, but you need a guy to spare him And incase something happens.  Use Gurley as a Example, dude was a workhorse like CMC.  Dude got dinged up and their offense wasnt quite the same.  (Dont use the example of CJ as his biggest games were against teams like the last place Cardinals)

- Overall casual fan interest is way down. Expect a very light training camp crowd. Hardcore fans are hanging tight, but the bandwagon has plenty of empty seating. Of course, this can be quickly reversed with convincing wins.

interest has been down.  But not nearly as it has been in the past off losing seasons.  We come out and win our first 3 games next year, and the fan base will be back to where it has been recently

Anywho, just some random thoughts this morning.

Hurney and Rivera will have to do very well to put a better team on the field this year. They need to fix the Oline and Dline at multiple spots on both sides. We need a backup plan at QB and the old BS about Cam being a freak and just keep leaning on him when we really shouldn't can't fly anymore. We need two starting safeties, a nickle worth playing and this whole 3-4 thing better not be another Buffalo Nickle boondoggle. Those two need to get their poop together and make it happen or they should be fired. No more damn excuses or Tepper is also on the full of poo.

Archived