• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official AFC Championship Game thread

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, GeorgeHanson said:

Good points all.

As for landing Brady being luck, possibly you are correct, but given the Patriots track record over the last 25 years I'm willing to consider the likelihood that they just know better vs. everyone else.

Brady is the poster child for the 2 key traits a QB needs in order to truly excel in the NFL --- (i) tremendous intellectual horsepower, and (ii) complete control of the passing arsenal including pin-point accuracy.

The dude is old, slow, weak, goofy, can't run and does have a half decent golf swing...

...but, he has the 2 key traits that matters, and in spades. 

Shame Trevor Lawrence can't jump into the league right away...

If they thought Brady was going to be a quality QB there's no way they roll the dice on letting him stay on the board that long. They didn't think he was going to amount to much either, they were just a little smarter than everyone else on that one which is honestly all it takes. There are steals in every draft snd they happen because everyone misjudged the prospect, one team just got it a little more right than the others.

If Andy Reid can't even get to the Super Bowl with a red hot QB and home field advantage, I don't see him ever getting a Lombardi. None of this "They'll get better next year" deal because we all know nothing is every guaranteed next season. Teams could figure out Mahomes, injuries, etc, so many things could go wrong. Even if they do, they'll probably face the humongous roadbloack that's the Patriots once more. What a shame. Really thought he was going to pull a Bill Cowher and finally break out by winning with a brand new QB. 

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If they thought Brady was going to be a quality QB there's no way they roll the dice on letting him stay on the board that long. They didn't think he was going to amount to much either, they were just a little smarter than everyone else on that one which is honestly all it takes. There are steals in every draft snd they happen because everyone misjudged the prospect, one team just got it a little more right than the others.

Another is the AFC East is the weakest football division in the NFL.  Brady gets a playoff pass with not pressure every year.

2 hours ago, Billy Love said:

That call put the Patriots in the Supr Bowl

And the Patriots got called for a non-existent PI on the Chiefs' game-tying drive. I agree the call was crap (mainly because they didn't call the one for Mahomes earlier) but it didn't 'put them in the Super Bowl.' Just like in NO it didn't cause Dee Ford to line up offsides, or Bob Sutton to keep being terrible, etc.

8 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

If Andy Reid can't even get to the Super Bowl with a red hot QB and home field advantage, I don't see him ever getting a Lombardi. None of this "They'll get better next year" deal because we all know nothing is every guaranteed next season. Teams could figure out Mahomes, injuries, etc, so many things could go wrong. Even if they do, they'll probably face the humongous roadbloack that's the Patriots once more. What a shame. Really thought he was going to pull a Bill Cowher and finally break out by winning with a brand new QB. 

Well it goes back to this “passing is all that matters crowd” being wrong.

Andy didn’t get a top 15 defense, had a 29th ranked defense— they did their best but they planted themselves.

the Patriots were able to run the ball down their throats, keep the ball 10 more minutes, keep their offense off the field etc.

the patriots were able to stop them a lot too,..

defense, running game, ball control still rule the playoffs and Super Bowl.

this was just another slap in the face to that crowd.

pass happy doesn’t win championships

9 hours ago, KSpan said:

And the Patriots got called for a non-existent PI on the Chiefs' game-tying drive. I agree the call was crap (mainly because they didn't call the one for Mahomes earlier) but it didn't 'put them in the Super Bowl.' Just like in NO it didn't cause Dee Ford to line up offsides, or Bob Sutton to keep being terrible, etc.

I respectfully disagree. The roughing the passer call changed the situation from 4th and long, Patriots would have punted, to a first down which the Patriots took advantage of and scored to tie the game. Without that call, I think the CHiefs would have held on in regulation and won. 

Archived