• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera must know this is his last chance, right?

Jeremy Igo

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that, but Darin Gantt has said that Rivera taking over the defense was also about protecting Eric Washington.

In a similar manner, you can see the hiring of a new secondary coach (thus returning Richard Rodgers to the less visible assistant role) as a way of protecting Rodgers from scrutiny if the secondary looks bad.

If Rivera was told he needs to concentrate less on protecting his friends, he certainly doesn't seem to have taken it to heart.

You would also think a good owner would demand the firing of a DC and DB coach who were horrible but nope. I've always been told it's easier to fire a bad employee than a mediocre one and that's exactly what Rivera and Hurney are. And they are shielding bad employees.

There is a part of me that hopes we rest Cam for his shoulder. This will let Tepper see how dependent Rivera is on Cam bailing him out of games. Then Cam comes back healthy to a better coach and high draft pick. This is just a small part of me. The rest of me wants Cam healthy this year and a Super Bowl run!

Unless you were in the room during Ron's post season meeting with Tepper in New Jersey, you have no idea if this is his last chance. 

Now, I think the most likely explanation of retaining Ron after a 1-7 collapse would be Tepper applying the "patience" lesson from his time in Pittsburgh. In a year or two, he will likely look back on this as a "rookie" mistake. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

There is a part of me that hopes we rest Cam for his shoulder. This will let Tepper see how dependent Rivera is on Cam bailing him out of games. Then Cam comes back healthy to a better coach and high draft pick. This is just a small part of me. The rest of me wants Cam healthy this year and a Super Bowl run!

Unfortunately for us Rivera and Richardson may have mismanaged Cam to the point his career is over. The reality is Tepper stepped in when Cam couldn't throw past 10 yards.

1 minute ago, jfra78 said:

Billionaires dont become billionaires by throwing 26 mil out the window.

This isn't his money maker. He may be ok with average results like most of the league. Plenty of Billionaires with 6 or less win teams.

Unless some extreme changes happen I can’t see this team with a winning record next season. That means Ron is going to survive back to back losing seasons. I have zero faith in Tepper after the way this offseason has been handled so I’m fully expecting to see Ron coach out his contract at this point.

I think I’m going to be sick.

3 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Unless you were in the room during Ron's post season meeting with Tepper in New Jersey, you have no idea if this is his last chance. 

Now, I think the most likely explanation of retaining Ron after a 1-7 collapse would be Tepper applying the "patience" lesson from his time in Pittsburgh. In a year or two, he will likely look back on this as a "rookie" mistake. 

This would be the best case. I really wish he would bring a former GM in as a consultant to evaluate the player side. That would make me feel their is a plan B.

1 minute ago, Eazy-E said:

Unless some extreme changes happen I can’t see this team with a winning record next season. That means Ron is going to survive back to back losing seasons. I have zero faith in Tepper after the way this offseason has been handled so I’m fully expecting to see Ron coach out his contract at this point.

I think I’m going to be sick.

Yep a decade of disappointment.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

This isn't his money maker. He may be ok with average results like most of the league. Plenty of Billionaires with 6 or less win teams.

Having to pay Ron 26 mil to not coach the Panthers wouldnt sit well with Tepper.  I'm not saying thats the reason Ron wasnt fired, but it makes sense

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

This would be the best case. I really wish he would bring a former GM in as a consultant to evaluate the player side. That would make me feel their is a plan B.

The lack of a consultant hire, especially given Tepper's focus remains with Appaloosa, is one of the most baffling things to me. 

Just now, jfra78 said:

Having to pay Ron 26 mil to not coach the Panthers wouldnt sit well with Tepper.  I'm not saying thats the reason Ron wasnt fired, but it makes sense

He could have just fired Hurney while there were no teams searching for GMs. He could have just said it was a mistake by a previous owner that needed to be fixed. What he did and what you are saying is exactly what JR would do.

Archived