• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eagles looking to trade Foles. Would you want him?

Jeremy Igo

The answer to this question is no.  He had a monster year in Chip Kelly's gadget offense.  Other than that, in a true "Nick Foles is the starter" situation, he has been underwhelming at best.  Yes he won a Super Bowl (AS THE BACK UP) and yes, he is playing well (AS THE BACK UP), but when truly given the reigns, he has not done well.  His last time as a starter was with Jeff Fisher.  Imagine if he was the starter under RR.  LOL.

16 hours ago, JARROD said:

The dude can’t stay healthy. Honestly if the Eagles were going to trade one, right now today it’s him.

and he’s not a 1st round pick trade, again he can’t stay healthy. Jax could probably get away with their high second. Maybe we could too, but I’m not really excited about Wentz.

the good thing is you are not stuck with him. 

Not a bad gamble honestly— he’s better than any QB pick this year.

Let not start the narrative that Wentz is super injury prone or something.  Dude tore his ACL in a freak play diving for the end zone, and broke his freaking back.  Not like hes coming up on the injury list with a pulled hamstring or sprained ankle every week.  These are legit injuries that could happen to anyone on any play.   

45 minutes ago, Wolfpack352 said:

No...he gonna get paid as a starter somewhere else....probably the Bills.

Ummmmm, the Bills have their QB I think.  Allen started played pretty doggone well towards the end of the season.  You dont cut and run from your first round pick QB after one semi decent season.

I don’t think there is any way the Panthers could afford Foles.  He is also more than what we need.  Foles is going to be a starter somewhere, and not just a “hold the reins until the starter gets back” guy.  He is going to get paid as such, either by the current contract terms or something similar.

The only way Foles makes any sense at all is if it is a foregone conclusion Cam is done with the Panthers after 2020.  Foles’ cap hit would force too many compromises elsewhere on the roster, which is not without other more identifiable needs. 

We could wind up like the Packers or Colts (Manning era) where so much cap space is tied up in one position we can't afford to address other needs.  I guess the bright side is we would have depth at the QB position.

On the subject of identifiable needs, if the OL issues are not addressed, it probably doesn’t matter who is back there.  In fact, I might argue that the Panthers would need to treat the QB position like baseball teams treat pitching staffs, complete with a bullpen of guys you can trot in when the starter has had enough or can’t continue.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

This thread cracks me up.... you can’t trade for foles. His contract voids Mid February.

he will be a free agent. Eagles would be wise to offer an extension immediately after the 2018 season, and begin to plan their departure of Wentz.

I think it was a hypothetical, not an expectation.

I read something yesterday about the hand-wringing going on in Philly about what to do and how to do it on the Wentz vs. Foles debate.  I don't think they are going to pony up the $20M or so his current contract would call for, and I am also not convinced they are not thinking of moving Wentz and keeping Foles.

The only way they would take a mid-round pick for him in this whole fiasco is if it were accompanied by several significant players.  So the direct answer to the original question might be, would you trade a mid-round pick and maybe gut the roster elsewhere for Foles?  Not sure what the Eagles needs are or whether we have anything that might meet any of them, but it would be more than a mid-round pick.

Given our situation with Cam, the salary cap, other needs, and Foles' contract nuances (or the need to negotiate one) even if it were just a mid-round pick I'd pass. 

BTW, if it is not a hypothetical, we are sounding like the NYC and Philly sports talk stations I hear when I am on business travel, where people call in and say things like "Giants fan here, I think we should trade our fifth round draft choice and backup OLB for Mahomes."  Sure you should, but that is going to involve pouring a lot of booze into a lot of people in the KC organization.

How well does Foles do with pressure in his face and getting hit all the time?  Also, his best years have been in Philly?  

Looking at what happened outside of Philly, it doesn't look great.  It seems like he has done his best work there.  What if we have to give up a good contract to him, but he tanks because he's a Philly guy?

Does he have traits that would work for us?  I just don't see that from him.  No matter the size of his member, I just think that he's not a good fit for us.

8 minutes ago, d-dave said:

How well does Foles do with pressure in his face and getting hit all the time?  Also, his best years have been in Philly?  

Looking at what happened outside of Philly, it doesn't look great.  It seems like he has done his best work there.  What if we have to give up a good contract to him, but he tanks because he's a Philly guy?

Does he have traits that would work for us?  I just don't see that from him.  No matter the size of his member, I just think that he's not a good fit for us.

Again, most coaches can’t adjust to their players, can’t think outside the box and think situational football. That’s why most coaches don’t win Superbowls.

Pederson, Wade Phillips, Sean Payton and a Short list of others, Belicheck of course the GOAT all can and do.

when Foles looked “bad” he was with a bad team under Fisher that couldn’t adjust to anything, let alone adjust their scheme to the quarterback.

Pederson adjusted their in game play calls, personnel groupings etc to Wentz and then Foles who are both very different quarterbacks.

Norv has shown with Cam he can and does adjust— had CMac be a primary pass catcher and then carry the rock on different games— he adjusted to 2 very different quarterbacks— healthy Cam and broken shoulder Cam,..

so yes Foles would look great in Carolina.

actually although I prefer Foles by far for durability and clutch play and xfactor, Wentz would do nicely in Carolina too— I’ve always liked Wentz— he plays with reckless abandon and makes good decisions with the football.

1 minute ago, JARROD said:

Again, most coaches can’t adjust to their players, can’t think outside the box and think situational football. That’s why most coaches don’t win Superbowls.

Pederson, Wade Phillips, Sean Payton and a Short list of others, Belicheck of course the GOAT all can and do.

when Foles looked “bad” he was with a bad team under Fisher that couldn’t adjust to anything, let alone adjust their scheme to the quarterback.

Pederson adjusted their in game play calls, personnel groupings etc to Wentz and then Foles who are both very different quarterbacks.

Norv has shown with Cam he can and does adjust— had CMac be a primary pass catcher and then carry the rock on different games— he adjusted to 2 very different quarterbacks— healthy Cam and broken shoulder Cam,..

so yes Foles would look great in Carolina.

So given our cash strapped cap, how much would you be willing to spend on Foles?  I support my team, whoever is on it so it doesn't matter to much to me at this point.  If Foles is an upgrade, then he's an upgrade.

I do think someone without a QB is going to throw $20+ million a year at Foles.  Can the Panthers afford to compete at that price point?  What do we have to cut in order to make it work, 2 $20M+ QBs on the roster?

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

So given our cash strapped cap, how much would you be willing to spend on Foles?  I support my team, whoever is on it so it doesn't matter to much to me at this point.  If Foles is an upgrade, then he's an upgrade.

I do think someone without a QB is going to throw $20+ million a year at Foles.  Can the Panthers afford to compete at that price point?  What do we have to cut in order to make it work, 2 $20M+ QBs on the roster?

As I said, Wentz would make a lot more sense and be a lot more realistic. He’s on his rookie contract still, and still has to opt for his 5th year option.

the Eagles will stick to their first round pick and continue to say they are trading Foles and all that— but if Foles honestly gets that team past the Saints even magically, how could they not keep him. He’s got the locker room and the resume.

Wentz makes more sense for us— he’s way better than anything we could draft.

Archived