• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Possibilities for the Carolina Panthers

Jeremy Igo

I didn't read every comment but roll with Allen, Heinicke and a vet (not too high priced) for Camp. I would not waste a mid round pick as getting both lines fixed could help a lot and I would gamble on his arm will be better. If not, you have a good line and surrounding pieces in place to draft or sign a top QB. In 2020 you also have a better cap situation. 

If Cam can't throw more than 20 yards then his time as an NFL QB are coming to a close. And that sucks. Throwing arm injuries just wreck a QB's career and we've had it happen here before. Jake Delhomme was having a really remarkable career here (not Cam level, but the guy was a winner, too) and then one bad shot midway into his best statistical season and the writing was on the wall. He never was able to win again. Jake, of course, wasn't anywhere near the athletic specimen that Cam is, but shoulders and elbows don't care who you are once they break down.

I hope that Cam's injuries are nowhere near that serious, but the look test is that this is a long time problem that got worse as the year progressed. Cam threw with arm power more than technique and that might be the difference in rehabilitation. Can he clean up the mechanics and take some of the pressure off the musculature and tendons? Don't know.

And the draft is coming up before we'll know anything for sure. And training camp, too, most likely. I wouldn't fault the team for grabbing someone as an insurance policy, no matter how much I want to see Cam under center again, healthy and in charge.

But, if the throwing arm is gone, a little voice in the back of my head keeps asking, "What if the big, competitive, YAC receiver we need is actually Cam?" There are CBs in the league that would wet their pants trying to stop and tackle that guy...

I think we roll with Kyle Allen as the backup for next year. If you're drafting a qb, it's because you think that player a) has more upside than Allen and b) has more value for us than someone at another position. We have too many areas we have to improve and get younger (de, safety, oline) to give up a pick in rounds 1-3 on a qb and how many starting-caliber qbs have been drafted in round 4+ in the past 10 years?

As far as free agents go, someone is going to give Bridgewater and Taylor something close to 10 million, if not more, and that's money better spent elsewhere if you consider our ceiling with either of them taking over is a wild card loss.

16 hours ago, MHS831 said:

To all the weekend orthopedic surgeons on here chiming in and sharing expertise--understand this--his shoulder is diminished every time a surgeon has to go into it.  Scar tissue, arthritis, and the fact that no human can repair damaged tissue and not all healing returns a damaged joint to original form.

I heard that from an orthopedic surgeon after my second surgery, explaining to me why I was done.  And it was not my throwing arm--I was a Tight End.

All those cheap shots, dropping his shoulder to get a first down, stretching out the ball when diving for a TD---it all chips away.

So we cross our fingers, hope for a miraculous result, and plan for the worst.

Yep, we really need to plan for the worst. I would much rather have almost any other injury on a QB. ACL? Fine. But his throwing shoulder? Ugh. 

If Cam isn't ready next year we need to just shut him down. Look at what the Colts did with Luck. 

It sucked donkey balls but Luck finally got healthy. Cam hasn't had the time he needs yet for the inflammation to go down in his shoulder enough to where it's not flaring up weekly. 

I'd be of the mind to do this: If Cam looks like he's going to play next year get Tyrod. That way we have a serviceable backup for Cam when he plays for the majority of the year. 

If Cam is out for the year we are fuged anyways and might as well bottom out/develop young talent. Roll with Allen or draft a rookie. 

If Cam is down next year I’d rather tank with Allen; who I can’t believe people think is the answer, I don’t see him as more than a back up than go say 8-8 with a vet from FA.

With Cam out it’s imperative to get a high pick for 2020 for his most likley replacement/insurance.

I assume the poster who say roll with Allen are ok with tanking the season for a high pick.

Just now, Lumps said:

If Cam is down next year I’d rather tank with Allen; who I can’t believe people think is the answer, I don’t see him as more than a back up than go say 8-8 with a vet from FA.

With Cam out it’s imperative to get a high pick for 2020 for his most likley replacement/insurance.

I assume the poster who say roll with Allen are ok with tanking the season for a high pick.

To be fair you have less to support your claim that he sucks than people do to support the claim that he doesn’t suck. 

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

To be fair you have less to support your claim that he sucks than people do to support the claim that he doesn’t suck. 

I don’t think there’s anything supporting any side you take with him. He is a huge ??? right now. But it’s extremely rare to have an undrafted QB come in and play like a future franchise QB...not saying it’s impossible of course, he is only 22 but he looks to me like a back up in the nfl and that by no means he sucks.  

Being comfortable going with Allen means to me you’re comfortable with tanking. If you are on the side of wanting an OK game managing QB from FA seems you’re in the camp of trying to go 8-8 or by chance 9-7 and scratch and climb into the playoffs just to say it wasn’t a failed season.

Something tells me Rivera will go with the latter. I’d rather tank.

19 minutes ago, Lumps said:

From what we've seen (admittedly small sample vs team not goin at 100%) I'd say he MAY be the guy that could lock down the backup spot, certainly not our future, but thats fine.  I could see him comming in and doing enough to win some games, especially if we solidify our Oline, we have weapons to lean on to carry the load.  And if we were able to get the D straight so we dont need to win shootouts.  Say Cam isnt ready until mid season, I could see Allen winning 4 games maybe and keeping us in the running for when Cam could step back in.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:55 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

You do realize that Cam could not throw a ball 20 yards in December, right? 

I remember you saying it was overblown and he was lobbing bombs in practice not too long ago....after speculation of his shoulder injury began. It seems a little peculiar. I didn't expect this thread from you. No disrespect intended. I'm grateful for the service and the insider access you provide.

Archived