• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Possibilities for the Carolina Panthers

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Let's be honest here, he hasn't been able to do it for two years. Hes literally gone from a top 5 deep ball QB to a bottom 5 deep ball QB.

0 for on throws over 30 yards last two seasons

25 completions on over what 90-100 attempts over 20 yards last two seasons.

His shoulder is damaged goods, if Rivera and Hurney were smart they'd use a 1st or 2nd on a qb either via draft or trade. 

It's not just his shoulder though.

His contract expires in two years, and with his health being what it's been there's a real possibility that the Panthers and Newton's agent might be pretty far apart in their expectations. 

Heck, who knows if Tepper would even be willing to pay a blockbuster QB contract when the league is trending away from that idea? Drafting a young QB and trying to win while he's still on his rookie deal is a big thing right now.

As heartless as it might sound, and as much as I know we're all gonna hate the idea, the time has come that the team will have to start thinking about planning for a post Cam Newton roster.

Yes, it would suck monkey balls to see him finish his career elsewhere.  It would suck equally to see him finish his career with his arm diminished.  But the sad truth is that both of those things are real possibilities.

As has been quoted many times, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

16 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I sort of agree.  If it comes down to Cam missing next season, I wouldn't mind if we picked a qb in the first round, signed a free agent or two for the oline, and drafted defense after the first.  

We try the new guy out for a year, and if he works out and Cam comes back healthy and ready the following year, we have a choice to trade a healthy veteran or a promising rookie.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  And we hopefully improve the defense enough to win next year with a rookie qb.  

There has been nothing to indicate Cam will miss next season. The concern centers around being prepared to get another star if his shoulder issue reemerges.

2 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

WOW the white supremacy goes all the way to the TOP!!

That's what you want someone to say, right?  Who am I kidding, it's not a real question because you've made it abundently clear that's how you cache even the most mild criticism of a crippled QB.

Crippled, really? Wow.

This from the poster that recently changed his username from "Camvp". I have never seen anyone that fickle. Pretty damn embarrassing.

30 minutes ago, Growl said:

There has been nothing to indicate Cam will miss next season. The concern centers around being prepared to get another star if his shoulder issue reemerges.

Which is why I said if.  There has been nothing to indicate he will be available either.   And the shoulder issue hasn't gone away for it to have to re-emerge.   But if the problem continues, they may have to consider sitting him for the season, and should be prepared to do so.  Hope for the best, plan for the worst.    

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Which is why I said if.  And the shoulder issue hasn't gone away for it to have to re-emerge.   But if the problem continues, they may have to consider sitting him for the season, and should be prepared to do so.  Hope for the best, plan for the worst.    

Something has got to give.  We cannot continue on this way.  Cams shoulder has got to be addressed, and fixed this offseason, or he needs to sit the entire year to try and get better.  Then you have his contract coming up for renewal next year.  It could be a sticky situation, and if Cam does need to sit out an entire year, we could be in line for the first pick.  It would be very tempting to take Tua or whomever and let Cam walk.  Use that 25 million a year in other positions.

45 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Crippled, really? Wow.

This from the poster that recently changed his username from "Camvp". I have never seen anyone that fickle. Pretty damn embarrassing.

Life moves on; no reason my handle shouldn't.

Igo's factually correct statement regarding Cam's throwing range - obvious to anyone with a functioning brain stem - eliciting such a tantrum from you goes to show how deep this persecution complex on behalf of Cam goes.  

At least be intellectually honest and explicitly say what you think all these perceived barbs at Cam actually indicate, instead of constantly making insinuations.

4 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

Life moves on; no reason my handle shouldn't.

Igo's factually correct statement regarding Cam's throwing range - obvious to anyone with a functioning brain stem - eliciting such a tantrum from you goes to show how deep this persecution complex on behalf of Cam goes.  

At least be intellectually honest and explicitly say what you think all these perceived barbs at Cam actually indicate, instead of constantly making insinuations.

Meh. You're a weak minded person. Your cowardly actions speak for themselves.

I've already stated my peace on all this.

But keep calling people crippled like you aren't a fickle little bitch. We both know you would lose your poo if someone said that about CMC if he was playing through a bad hamstring injury or something.

I believe he'll bounce back but unless he fixes his footwork it's gonna flare up again. I'm don't have much faith in that happening this late in the game so a successor should be on the radar. Quiet as its kept his QB coaches have done a piss poor job over the years.

I honestly feel like our schedule next year could determine a couple of things...

• Early BYE week, we grab a FA to help us survive until Week 5-6 or so. Let Cam come back on a shortened season and hope it holds up.
  • Late BYE week, try to get out to a great record early (oh I don't know, 6-2), and if Cam is feeling the same discomfort, sit him for a couple of weeks to rest (BYE and a game or two).  Let him come back and try to tough it out the last few weeks. Or sit him until the backup is beyond over his head.

Regardless, would love to see Cam as QB 1, Kyle Allen as QB 3, and a FA or draft pick as QB 2.  If the draft allows us to grab a guy we like at a reasonable price, start grooming him and have him ready to go after the preseason. 

Archived