• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Possibilities for the Carolina Panthers

Jeremy Igo

If we draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd, I think it should be considered a mistake by all.

The quality of this draft matches our deficiency.  Trade up to get 'your guy', here and there, but do so in a manner that benefits this team in the longer sense than a 'knee jerk' QB selection would mean.  Get as many top 100 defenders and OLine men as possible.

1 hour ago, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

Did anybody read further than the first part? I know it's early but damn...

Wasn't responding about the second part and all about taking the shoulder injury too seriously.  Can't really say treat it like Luck and say it's not serious.  Treating it like Luck is 1 to 2 more years without Cam as a starting QB.  That sounds serious.  Yes your second part about getting a FA and drafting a QB could ease the issue but it's still serious.

6 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

If Marty Hurney is drafting, I don't want to waste a pick on one of his QB choices. No Stefan Lefors, Jimmy Clausens, Armanti Edwards, etc., etc.. 

However now that Norv is probably getting more draft pick input, maybe all is not lost. 

we can only pray and hope.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

You do realize that Cam could not throw a ball 20 yards in December, right? 

Let's be honest here, he hasn't been able to do it for two years. Hes literally gone from a top 5 deep ball QB to a bottom 5 deep ball QB. 

0 for on throws over 30 yards last two seasons

25 completions on over what 90-100 attempts over 20 yards last two seasons. 

His shoulder is damaged goods, if Rivera and Hurney were smart they'd use a 1st or 2nd on a qb either via draft or trade. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

First off, to all the overly emotional knee jerk Cam Newton fans

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A QB unable to throw the ball 20 yards

You do realize that Cam could not throw a ball 20 yards

I am a Panthers fan first and foremost.

Are the longtime huddlers here going to have the balls to say something about this or what?

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

Let's be honest here, he hasn't been able to do it for two years. Hes literally gone from a top 5 deep ball QB to a bottom 5 deep ball QB. 

0 for on throws over 30 yards last two seasons

25 completions on over 80 attempts over 20 yards last two seasons. 

His shoulder is damaged goods, if Rivera and Hurney were smart they'd use a 1st or 2nd on a qb either via draft or trade

yes... in the 2020 draft.

Further, if your thinking logically and we assume that the arm really is long-term-toast, than you must consider the possibility of trading him.

'but a team won't trade for a Cam Newton with a bum arm'.

They have doctors that would do evaluations, sure.  But mistakes are made by front offices all the time.  We present a Cam at 80% to a Jacksonville, Washington, Miami, NY etc.  Teams that could use a starting QB and may consider the risk of a hurt MVP at 29 better than a 21 year old college player... There is value to be had.  Hell, he would sell as a tip-tier backup (Nick Foles).  He would sell as someone to shelve, until healthy, on teams with aging/good QBs.

What is that value, I wonder? 

The market will dictate it, of course. Something is only worth what others are willing to pay for it... or you are willing to buy it for.

I'd argue, with what we know if the injury, that he is worth Kalil Mack compensation. 

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Are the longtime huddlers here going to have the balls to say something about this or what?

I would but he's right and it's actually worse, Cam hasnt been able to throw deep for two full seasons now. He's admitted that he has limited range of motion and severe muscle fatigue and no one knows why...

dont see any way that's not a major concern. 

2 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I would but he's right and it's actually worse, Cam hasnt been able to throw deep for two full seasons now. He's admitted that he has limited range of motion and severe muscle fatigue and no one knows why...

dont see any way that's not a major concern. 

Bullshit. He nearly bested Drew Brees in NO in the playoffs in 2017 if not for a receiving corps full of practice squaders.

zero point in wasting a mid to late round  pick at QB.

You will discover this season  if you need a successor. A mid to late round pick isn't a successor. And since he isn't going to play like a grizzled veteran who leads your team to super bowl glory, he possesses zero value.

That's one less pick you have to rebuild the defense/trade away to make a run at an actual successor next season.

You don't just acquire the resources to move up to the 1st pick in the draft without some foresight.

8 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Bullshit. He nearly bested Drew Brees in NO in the playoffs in 2017 if not for a receiving corps full of practice squaders.

Yet its a verifiable fact

he's near last among qualifying QB's on throws over 20 yards the last two seasons and hasn't completed a ball over 30 yards. 

It's also a verifiable fact that Cam Newton mentioned that no one knows what's wrong with his shoulder and that he has limited range of motion. 

It's a verifiable fact that the Panthers were near dead last this season in throws over 20 yards and only completed 30% of those throws. Multiple attempts were made and completed in the games Cam didn't play otherwise that percentage would be lower.

Cam was 29th among QB's on throws over 20 yards this season and 0-13 on throws over 30 yards. Last among Qb's in td rating on deep throws. 

I could go on but it's pointless and I'm one of the biggest Cam fans on this forum. 

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

Yet its a verifiable fact

he's near last among qualifying QB's on throws over 20 yards the last two seasons and hasn't completed a ball over 30 yards. 

It's also a verifiable fact that Cam Newton mentioned that no one knows what's wrong with his shoulder and that he has limited range of motion. 

It's a verifiable fact that the Panthers were near dead last this season in throws over 20 yards and only completed 30% of those throws. Multiple attempts were made and completed in the games Cam didn't play otherwise that percentage would be lower.

Cam was 29th among QB's on throws over 20 yards this season and 0-13 on throws over 30 yards. Last among Qb's in td rating on deep throws. 

I could go on but it's pointless and I'm one of the biggest Cam fans on this forum. 

Neither of us have a crystal ball. It's January. If you're declaring his throwing arm officially dead at 29 years old that's your choice.

Archived