• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Possibilities for the Carolina Panthers

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

You do realize there are things called corrective surgery, rest, and healing right?

Sure, and I hope that all works out.

I also hope that if it doesn't the Panthers are ready because I am a Panthers fan first and foremost.

Let's see what happens in the draft. One game with Allen really isn't enough to tell, but it should earn him another shot at the backup QB position. 

My inclination is to roll with a vet like Bridgewater or Taylor and see what happens in the draft. Too many holes to spend a high pick, so if Grier drops to the fourth or if the Panthers can trade up into the 3rd for him, fine. I would just hesitate to use any of the early picks the Panthers have right now on a QB not likely to see the field next year.

17 hours ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

You do realize there are things called corrective surgery, rest, and healing right?

You do realize Cam had that ALREADY on the same shoulder, and STILL has rookie level footwork at this point in his career? Cam was never drafted to be a superior passer.( and sadly I again say because of his race, he was never coached to be a high level NFL passer) He has come this far because of his physicality ( for the simple folk...that means he is big and strong and can take a hit other weak QB's cant). That attribute gets lower and lower each year. 

I really like Tyrod and would love to see him if Cam can't play.     I'd take him over Bridgewater because of the injuries.

Grier is a gamer though, I wouldn't mind that pick either but I don't think he'll fall far enough to make sense.   

46 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A QB unable to throw the ball 20 yards because of a chronically injured throwing shoulder is kinda serious.

Can't be chronically injured if it never fully healed. He was playing injured. You've said it yourself. This team had a bad habit of playing our QB when he shouldn't be playing. Again, let the guy heal. 

There were also two parts to my post...

53 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A guy like WVU's Will Grier is projected anywhere from rounds 2-4. If he is there in 3 or 4 for the Panthers I would like to see him taken. Local kid with plenty of up side. Good value there for a mid round pick.

Then do we go West Coast?  I would say so.  Greer does not have a cannon, but he can put the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there. 

If we know that Cam is going to be limited--yes. 

As a project, I am also interested in Justin Hansen, Ark St.  He is a project, needs to work on his delivery, but a 6-4 running QB....

Unfortunately I think Bridgewater will be out of our price range and the saints may be giving him a big contract being that they gave up a big draft pick to get him. I think we are going to be stuck with drafting a qb because of the limited cap space available and the holes we currently have on the roster. Even with a healthy Cam we are not beating many with the O line play and D line play we had this past year. Honestly if Cam can’t go we are screwed this year anyway. 

One thing getting overlooked a bit is Allen also has a hurt shoulder. Being the last game of the year, we didn't hear much about it, but I'd say there's some degree of uncertainty even with him. Think about it. Three different quarterbacks (Newton, Heinke and Allen) all got serious injuries playing behind our offensive line. Rounds 1 - 3 need to be all OL and DL. We can't make up for poor drafts in a single offseason, but we need to start laying the ground work.

36 minutes ago, Skack25 said:

Hadn't thought about Tyrod, but that could actually work.  He did take the Bills to the playoffs (take that with a grain of salt).  Could definitely fit here for a year if needed.

It’s a tough call. I really like what I saw with Allen but we need to see more against teams gamepkanning for him. I don’t want to go spend 10-15 mil on a QB when we need pass rushers and not crazy about drafting one high. Not sure what the solution is

Archived