• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Eldest Panthers - Who do you keep?

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, TN05 said:

"Less kicks" values PATs the same as field goals, which is sophistry. Gano made 97% of his field goals, Butler made 91%. Both are excellent, but one is clearly better.

Gano was the most accurate kicker in the league in 2017. Period. 

Cheaper players are only thing, garbage players are another. Butker looked awful in training camp and Gano looked great. Hurney made the logical choice, unless you think picking players who look awful over ones who look good makes sense. There is a reason we didn't choose him over Gano, and nobody else wanted him until the Chiefs kicker got hurt.

Please go back and prove your "Gano looked great, and Butker looked awful" take, because that 100% not what I remember.

If I recall, they both looked pedestrian in TC and Pre Season, but Butker saw very few kicks in the PS.

Butker has missed less kicks than Gano over the same time period.  Extra points or FG it doesn't matter.  All the while kicking in a harder stadium, and kicking more often.

It was bad then, it's bad now, and Hurney compounded it by extending Butker.

Did you know that we could have paid for Fitzpatrick to back up Cam with just the savings from Butker over Gano just this season alone?

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

At the time we made the decision Butker wasn't as good or proven. And yeah making the probowl and being recognized as the best kicker in the league is a big deal  And we tried to stash him on the practice squad to develop him as all teams and GMs do. It happened before under Gettleman as well, we try and stash a player and another team takes him. It isn't at all the huge deal you make it out to be. You always take plenty of time to bash Hurney and Rivera and make mountains out of molehills. 

It was a bad move then, and now.  Time has shown that.

Also, it's not mountain making, this is a VERY long trend with Marty Hurney.

This mountain was made by Hurney, now we have an old, expensive, average kicker coming off injury vs. a young, cheap kicker with no history of injury.

26 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

This mountain was made by Hurney, now we have an old, expensive, average kicker coming off injury vs. a young, cheap kicker with no history of injury.

lmao

31 isn't remotely old for a kicker and he's well above-average, the best kicker in the league last year and one of the best this year.

lmao

31 isn't remotely old for a kicker and he's well above-average, the best kicker in the league last year and one of the best this year.

Psssst, he is also one of the highest paid, is worse than the kicker we had signed to a 4 year cheap deal, and is hurt, while also being 8 years older than Butker.

Is this you Mrs. Gano?

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Psssst, he is also one of the highest paid, is worse than the kicker we had signed to a 4 year cheap deal, and is hurt, while also being 8 years older than Butker.

Is this you Mrs. Gano?

This is also the guy who said we should make Taylor Heinicke the backup based on his performance against the Falcons.

I think he's one of those guys that likes to post really ignorant sh-t just to see if he can get a reaction.

Kinda pathetic, but hey...

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is also the guy who said we should make Taylor Heinicke the backup based on his performance against the Falcons.

I think he's one of those guys that likes to post really ignorant sh-t just to see if he can get a reaction.

Kinda pathetic, but hey...

Yea, I'm done with him.

If you can't look at that Marty F up with the kickers and not understand what we are dealing with, then you just can't understand the finances involved with the NFL.

48 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Psssst, he is also one of the highest paid, is worse than the kicker we had signed to a 4 year cheap deal

lmao dude, Catanzero was not that good. 11 for 15 on the year and only 85% on extra points. That's much worse than Gano or Butker.

If Gettleman had chosen Gano you'd be 100% onboard.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He looked pretty solid before he got hurt, so I didn't see it as an offseason priority (either by draft or FA). That's all I meant.

Kyle Allen looked way better. He should be the backup, assuming we can keep him.

Just now, TN05 said:

He looked pretty solid before he got hurt, so I didn't see it as an offseason priority (either by draft or FA). That's all I meant.

Kyle Allen looked way better. He should be the backup, assuming we can keep him.

Wrong again.

Allen has earned the chance to compete for the backup spot...nothing more.

lmao dude, Catanzero was not that good. 11 for 15 on the year and only 85% on extra points. That's much worse than Gano or Butker.

If Gettleman had chosen Gano you'd be 100% onboard.

How did Cat enter this conversation?

He was chosen by Gettleman.  Then he became erratic and expensive, and it was time to move on to a cheaper younger option.

7 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is a list of the eldest Panthers currently on the roster posted on Panthers.com, from oldest to youngest, 30 years old or older. 

Julius Peppers
Mike Adams
Thomas Davis
Chris Clark
Greg Olsen
Kalil_Ryan
J.J. Jansen
Kyle Love
Graham Gano
Mario Addison
Colin Jones
Marshall Newhouse
Da'Norris Searcy
Amini Silatolu
Captain Munnerlyn
Ben Jacobs

Who on this list do you want to see return in 2019?

Out of that list; Jansen, Gano, Addison, Searcy, and Munnerlyn are under contract for next season. 

Searcy and Munnerlyn will eventually be released.

Re-sign Kyle Love, Colin Jones and Marshall Newhouse.

Archived