• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Eldest Panthers - Who do you keep?

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

This is you insulting me, not content. Get it?

No it isn't. When you become part of the media and  put out content you accept the idea that people can criticize your content just.like a book reviewer or movie critic. it isn't an indictment of the person at all. Especially if they don't call you out personally or say you don't know anything as you clearly did while I didn't to you.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

No it isn't. When you become part of the media and  put out content you accept the idea that people can criticize your content just.

YOU CONSTANTLY PUT OUT FLUFF is not a critique of the fluff. It is a critique of the author. Jesus, this isn't difficult.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

YOU CONSTANTLY PUT OUT FLUFF is not a critique of the fluff. It is a critique of the author. Jesus, this isn't difficult.

I don't think you only do fluff pieces. You have more information than most of us here and and can talk content and particulars with anyone intelligently and cogently. Folks count on you for your insider knowledge and dedication to this board. Your photography is outstanding. If you took this personally I apologize. My intent was not to get in a pissing contest.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I don't think you only do fluff pieces. You have more information than most of us here and and can talk content and particulars with anyone intelligently and cogently. Folks count on you for your insider knowledge and dedication to this board. Your photography is outstanding. If you took this personally I apologize. My intent was not to get in a pissing contest.

accepted

Julius Peppers - DL is going to only have Addison and Haynes signed next season. Peppers is one of the GOATs, still produces at his age, and can be an effective rotational piece + veteran presence. Hell, a future HoF presence at that.

Thomas Davis - Team friendly deal, he still has gas in the tank. Can still produce at a high level. Would be insurance if Shaq goes down and would give Carter Jr + Smith another year with a potential Panthers HoH.

Greg Olsen - 100% dependent on the foot, but with Manhertz and maaaaybe Armah as the only other two possible TEs on the roster (and Armah being the only one under contract for next season), we need the bodies. If Ian Thomas can continue to develop while Olsen can stay healthy and productive, we might be able to go an entire season without topics about 2TEs created by he who must not be named.

JJ Jansen - I think he has one botched snap in his entire NFL career, and that botched snap might have been on the holder? It's been so long that I can't recall, but the man is consistent. 

Kyle Love - Our best DT this year, simple and plain. Has come in and been a great in rotation, has made plays, and continues to work.

Mario Addison - Our only signed pass rusher along with Haynes. His contract could be restructured to free up cap space next season.

Da'Norris Searcy - At the very least for camp. As bare as the pass rusher cupboards will be, safety will be even worse off, especially if Reid signs elsewhere. 

Graham Gano - Like Searcy, at least bring them into camp. If we find a kicker in the draft, again, and Hurney doesn't cut them in favor of spending more money, again, then it will be time to move on.

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

Julius Peppers - DL is going to only have Addison and Haynes signed next season. Peppers is one of the GOATs, still produces at his age, and can be an effective rotational piece + veteran presence. Hell, a future HoF presence at that.

Thomas Davis - Team friendly deal, he still has gas in the tank. Can still produce at a high level. Would be insurance if Shaq goes down and would give Carter Jr + Smith another year with a potential Panthers HoH.

Greg Olsen - 100% dependent on the foot, but with Manhertz and maaaaybe Armah as the only other two possible TEs on the roster (and Armah being the only one under contract for next season), we need the bodies. If Ian Thomas can continue to develop while Olsen can stay healthy and productive, we might be able to go an entire season without topics about 2TEs created by he who must not be named.

JJ Jansen - I think he has one botched snap in his entire NFL career, and that botched snap might have been on the holder? It's been so long that I can't recall, but the man is consistent. 

Kyle Love - Our best DT this year, simple and plain. Has come in and been a great in rotation, has made plays, and continues to work.

Mario Addison - Our only signed pass rusher along with Haynes. His contract could be restructured to free up cap space next season.

Da'Norris Searcy - At the very least for camp. As bare as the pass rusher cupboards will be, safety will be even worse off, especially if Reid signs elsewhere. 

Graham Gano - Like Searcy, at least bring them into camp. If we find a kicker in the draft, again, and Hurney doesn't cut them in favor of spending more money, again, then it will be time to move on.

Agree on the majority. One clarification. It will cost more to cut Gano and sign a rookie than keep Gano this year. Next year would be the time to move from Gano.

Being the unabashed Gano hater that I will always be, I would love to see him in a division opponent's jersey. Just make sure that late in the fourth quarter, if they get to your 40 you let them get inside the 15 yard line, then wait for the missed kick and LOL.

I would also keep TD, Addison and Olsen on team-friendly deals. Love as well.

Julius Peppers - Sucks he finished a half sack out of 3rd all time (which is probably why he's contemplating a return), but I'd let him retire.  But, if he is resigned let Horton walk.
Mike Adams - Walk, regressed plus we need to get younger
Thomas Davis - Walk, need to get younger
Chris Clark - No
Greg Olsen - Keep but need another pass catching TE
Ryan Kalil - No choice, he's retiring. Been regressing anyway.
J.J. Jansen - Easy keep
Kyle Love - Resign, but stop using him to back up the NT, other teams aren't fooled.
Graham Gano - Contract probably means you have to keep
Mario Addison - I'd like an upgrade but his contract would have to come off the books.  Keeping Addison is a pretty decent consultation prize though.
Colin Jones - Reluctantly keep for now.  Hope for an upgrade but he's a versatile depth piece.
Marshall Newhouse - No
Da'Norris Searcy - Nice cap savings so also walking
Amini Silatolu - why is this still a thing
Captain Munnerlyn - Take the cap savings, hasn't worked well with the added man coverage anyway
Ben Jacobs - No, pending Shaq contract along with Davis, Mayo and Norris free agency probably means another LB is on the way anyway.

16 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Agree on the majority. One clarification. It will cost more to cut Gano and sign a rookie than keep Gano this year. Next year would be the time to move from Gano.

Do you happen to know the breakdown on his contract details off the top of your head? How much do we save waiting one more season vs. this upcoming?

18 minutes ago, Icege said:

Do you happen to know the breakdown on his contract details off the top of your head? How much do we save waiting one more season vs. this upcoming?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/graham-gano-5474/ 

In 2020 his cap hit is 4.5 million and his dead cap hit will be 3 million. The likely time to move on if he continues to produce at a high level and returns from injury is 2021 where his cap is over 5 million and his dead cap space is only 1.5. All this assumes he isn't a June 1st cut with the dead cap spread out over 2 years.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/graham-gano-5474/ 

Next year his cap hit is 4.5 million and his dead cap hit will be 3 million. The likely time to move on if he continues to produce at a high level and returns from injury is 2021 where his cap is over 5 million and his dead cap space is only 1.5. All this assumes he isn't a June 1st cut with the dead cap spread out over 2 years 

Looks like if he is released post 6/1 then the team saves over $2M by releasing him at the cost of 3M the following season. I can see them taking that one on the chin, potentially. If they get a player they really buy into, ofc.

He might very well just get one more season out of the team, but I cannot see Graham here after 2019. Looking at the breakdown, we'll save $3M at the cost of $1.5M the following season. He gone.

Mario and TD, maybe Olsen if he adjusted his contract (I.e. took a pay cut and made it pretty much all incentives based so that when he inevitably gets hurt he’s not getting paid a ton). Peppers if he doesn’t retire, and Love for sure

51 minutes ago, Icege said:

Looks like if he is released post 6/1 then the team saves over $2M by releasing him at the cost of 3M the following season. I can see them taking that one on the chin, potentially. If they get a player they really buy into, ofc.

He might very well just get one more season out of the team, but I cannot see Graham here after 2019. Looking at the breakdown, we'll save $3M at the cost of $1.5M the following season. He gone.

Kicker is one position I disagree with the notion you shouldnt spend money on.  Outside of the quarterback they account for the most points on the team and often either win or lose a game at the end with a made or missed field goal. Seems they are a very critical part of the game and comparing point production versus cost even guys like Gano are deals if they keep producing.

Archived