• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Eldest Panthers - Who do you keep?

Jeremy Igo

Of course, it gets much more complicated when you throw in the salary cap information, and you have to consider the fact that some veterans prevent rookies and youth from developing, but this is a good list.

Mike Adams  No way.  While  it is difficult to watch S play on TV, he never seemed to be where he should be when he should be there.
Thomas Davis  Yes, on  a cap-friendly deal-- a bit above vet min.   He is a good leader, but he has been riding on borrowed time for a while.  As a reserve and Captain because he is such a good locker room presence.  However, on game days, I am not sure he will be happy on the pine.
Chris Clark  Nope.  At 33, he will not be better than he was at 32.  Newhouse won the backup job, if you ask me.
Greg Olsen Ian Thomas' late season surge has me believing that Olsen and his salary are liabilities now, but Olsen was just extended.  He has played 16 games in 2 seasons. I say it would be a good time to move on, as I think we saw the changing of the guard at TE.
Kalil_Ryan  This just depends on how much we actually save by cutting him.  Can he play LG?  I know everyone hates him etc, but he is (according to the coaches) our best LT---if we can't do better, Marty Hurney, we can't cut him and create a bunch of dead money.  In other words, I would love to cut him, but I am not confident we can upgrade with so many needs.  It is obvious that Moton is not a front runner to take over as LT.
J.J. Jansen  Solid.  Yes.
Kyle Love  Yes.  Love was better than Poe.  He had 3 forced fumbles this season and plugged the gap better than Poe.  He had more tackles than Poe, more forced fumbles that Poe, and more sacks than the man playing in front of him.  At 32, we can get another year or two out of him  Bring him back on a cheap contract
Graham Gano  Yes.  I like knowing we have a shot any time we are inside the opposition's 40.  He is a bit erratic at times, but I bring him back if I can. 
Mario Addison  Yes. You really  have no choice--at about $7m per year, he is playing at a rate of about half the NFL's sack masters get.  I let Horton walk (surprised he is not on this list) and I do not bring back Peppers (Ron will try his best). The reason we are in this mess?  Kony Ealy, D. Hall busted. 
Colin Jones No.  He is doing the work we could be giving to developing players.  He is a good athlete, but he is aging and not cheap considering he is only a special team player. 
Marshall Newhouse  Yes.  He is 2 years younger than Clark and was decent most of the time--and he can play both sides.  Depth at vet min.
Da'Norris Searcy Maybe. Once again, that depends on what else we do.  Reid is uncertain, Gaulden is uncertain, Jones is certainly uncertain.  I say keep him until things are certain.  He is decent to fair.
Amini Silatolu  No. I have been anti-amini since we drafted him.  Perhaps he will lose the photos he has of Ron riding a goat so we can get back to football.  Amini is a very stupid football player. 
Captain Munnerlyn  No.  Captain "Third down Conversion."  No way.  Nickel is probably the most difficult job on the defensive side of the ball, but we can do better.
Ben Jacobs No. Ben had several special teams penalties.  He was borderline in his prime--not there any longer.  Every year, it surprises me that he gets a jersey.

If TD had fallen off a cliff performance wise, I'd say let him go but guys are getting far too hung up on his age. He performed aboved average this season...not elite but wasn't a liability either.  If the guy comes to us with a team friendly deal, it'd be a no brainer to keep him, let Shaq go and evaluate the LB position with Smith and Carter.  

Olsen is still productive when healthy but I'd like to see them start to rotate Thomas into the position of catching TE more often, he shows he has what it takes to become a #1 TE for us.  

Mario is still productive if we can get some solid DT's to help.  Love is great, bring him back.

That's about it for me. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

We are all very impressed by your big brain, brad.

We have always had this discussion and ones like them for the past 15 years, just as you have always tried to show everyone how much you think you know. Some things, they never change. :)

I just call it like I see it. I don't have to show anyone what I know or don't. Instead of insults argue the points or issues. Part of the reason this place has devolved is we don't have.many of these conversations anymore and you participate in post shaming and insults instead of setting a better example as the leader of this board.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I just call it like I see it. I don't have to show anyone what I know or don't. Instead of insults argue the points or issues. Part of the reason this place has devolved is we don't have.many of these conversations anymore and you participate in post shaming and insults instead of setting a better example as the leader of this board.

Insult this board, then whine when it bites back.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Insult this board, then whine when it bites back.

Not whining as much as pointing out  the reality.  Criticizing a message board focus is much different that making personal attacks. There is a big difference and you should know that by now 

Caveat - the Panthers can't cut everyone loose, as there would be too many open spots to fill if they did so. Sometimes continuity has to be considered. Based upon that:

Julius Peppers - reduced contract, rotational player
Mike Adams
Thomas Davis - reduced contract, rotational player
Chris Clark - depth

Greg Olsen - reduced contract.
Kalil_Ryan
J.J. Jansen - special teamer
Kyle Love
Graham Gano - camp competition
Mario Addison - on the fence. Look for a replacement.
Colin Jones - good special teams player
Marshall Newhouse
Da'Norris Searcy - IF better options not available through FA or draft
Amini Silatolu - you're kidding, right?
Captain Munnerlyn - get the fug out.
Ben Jacobs - good special teams player

For ANY of the special teams player, if a younger, comparable replacement is available through FA or draft, they have to be considered, if the money is a wash.

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not whining as much as pointing out  the reality.  Criticizing a message board focus is much different that making personal attacks. There is a big difference and you should know that by now 

You incorrectly critiqued a thread as proof that this place has devolved when threads like this have always been made. Maybe don't respond to a thread you aren't interested in next time.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

You incorrectly critiqued a thread as proof that this place has devolved when threads like this have always been made. Maybe don't respond to a thread you aren't interested in next time.

And that justified a personal attack? Sorry if I took a fluff thread and tried to interject some thought and football considerations. 

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

And that justified a personal attack? Sorry if I took a fluff thread and tried to interject some thought and football considerations. 

There you go again. Insult my thread and this place. Now I will respond and you will whine. You do realize you started the insults, right?

Archived