• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Eldest Panthers - Who do you keep?

Jeremy Igo

Here is a list of the eldest Panthers currently on the roster posted on Panthers.com, from oldest to youngest, 30 years old or older. 

Julius Peppers
Mike Adams
Thomas Davis
Chris Clark
Greg Olsen
Kalil_Ryan
J.J. Jansen
Kyle Love
Graham Gano
Mario Addison
Colin Jones
Marshall Newhouse
Da'Norris Searcy
Amini Silatolu
Captain Munnerlyn
Ben Jacobs

Who on this list do you want to see return in 2019?

Olsen if he is good to go. At least when he's healthy he's still one of the best. Love because he was our best DT. Addison because we need at least one able body at DE.  TD in a reduced role only because I think we should move on from Shaq. Newhouse as backup until new talent passes him. That's about it.

Kyle Love- Keep, dude has been a stud rotational DT, only one to play worth a dam this year

Addison- unless you can use his cap to help sign a big FA like Clowney 

Chris Clark- solid Depth, you always need depth on the OL

Gano- have to keep because itll cost more to cut

Olsen- im still on board givng him another year, I think he'll retire after next year anways, especially if he has 1 more injury

TD- offer him a LB Coach job

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here is a list of the eldest Panthers currently on the roster posted on Panthers.com, from oldest to youngest, 30 years old or older. 

Julius Peppers
Mike Adams
Thomas Davis
Chris Clark
Greg Olsen
Kalil_Ryan
J.J. Jansen
Kyle Love

Graham Gano
Mario Addison
Colin Jones
Marshall Newhouse
Da'Norris Searcy
Amini Silatolu
Captain Munnerlyn
Ben Jacobs

The 3 in bold is the only ones I would re-sign.  The rest I would seriously look to replace.

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Julius Peppers
Mike Adams
Thomas Davis
Chris Clark
Greg Olsen
Kalil_Ryan
J.J. Jansen
Kyle Love
Graham Gano
Mario Addison
Colin Jones
Marshall Newhouse
Da'Norris Searcy
Amini Silatolu
Captain Munnerlyn
Ben Jacobs

The issue isn't simply who you keep so much as who do you keep at what price and who is under contract. For example Searcy is already under contract this year and will cost roughly 3.4 million to keep and 625000 to cut.  So can you upgrade for 2.8 million or not in the safety market? Particularly if you spend a bunch to sign Reid.  Who is going to start or backup? Are we paying starter money or backup money? It isn't Madden where you just pick who you want without concern for cost and what else is available.

Amazingly, we have basically no one to back up most of these guys, we don't have a ton of money to spend on free agents and you don't want Hurney and Rivera deciding who to sign, anyway.  It's not good.  Some of these guys are still productive (Love, Adams, Davis to an extent, Olsen *IF* healthy), so I'd be ok signing a few of them on team-friendly deals, but that may be wishful thinking.

6 minutes ago, Little Goody Two Shoes said:

Olsen, Gano, Addison and possibly Jacobs. But I'd try to find a young kicker to unseat Gano in camp.

Getting rid of Gano will cost more in dead cap to replace him than keep him. Plus you have to pay who you replace him with. So why would you spend almost 2 million more to replace him with an rookie than keep him? Or a lot more than 2 million if you replace him with an established kicker That is the analysis you need to make with each player before simply saying who you would keep or replace.

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Getting rid of Gano will cost more in dead cap to replace him than keep him. Plus you have to pay who you replace him with. So why would you spend almost 2 million more to replace him with an rookie than keep him? Or a lot more than 2 million if you replace him with an established kicker That is the analysis you need to make with each player before simply saying who you would keep or replace.

Yeah, its not like you can just draft a 7th round kicker for cheap to out perform him.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah, its not like you can just draft a 7th round kicker for cheap to out perform him.

Again let's say you try. It will cost you roughly 4.6 million to cut Gano and another 650000 to sign the rookie or 5.2 million to do that or 3.7 million to keep him.  Next year his cap hit will be more than his dead cap hit so if he doesn't have a good 2019 it would be a good idea to do what you suggest as least financially. That is the point. You have to look at the bigger picture and you know that  

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Again let's say you try. It will cost you roughly 4.6 million to cut Gano and another 650000 to sign the rookie or 5.2 million to do that or 3.7 million to keep him.  Next year his cap hit will be more than his dead cap hit so if he doesn't have a good 2019 it would be a good idea to do what you suggest as least financially. That is the point. You have to look at the bigger picture and you know that  

Sure I do. I also know that it is fine to talk about just performance and who fans would want back on the team based on that. Not every conversation has to entail every complexity.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Sure I do. I also know that it is fine to talk about just performance and who fans would want back on the team based on that. Not every conversation has to entail every complexity.

Especially if you want to just focus on controversy like bringing up Butkurs or want to focus on fluff instead of actual football conversation which includes those complexities. Just shows how far this joint had devolved over the.last few years as we go for clicks over content.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Especially if you want to just focus on controversy like bringing up Butkurs or want to focus on fluff instead of actual football conversation which includes those complexities. Just shows how far this joint had devolved over the.last few years as we go for clicks over content.

We are all very impressed by your big brain, brad.

We have always had this discussion and ones like them for the past 15 years, just as you have always tried to show everyone how much you think you know. Some things, they never change. :)

Archived