• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Adams is not ready to hang up his cleats.

Jeremy Igo

42 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Yes, this is annoying. I’m a bigger fan of Adams than a lot of the huddle. I give him credit for laying some big hits, especially one on Julio last season when the rest of the team were going through the motions. But he is slow and he is old. Regression is clearly visible.

I count 4 different players who are talking up their NFL future despite clear drop off in play on an already old team. Olsen, Davis, Kalil, Adams. 

I think if you sign him cheap he is a great backup who will be lights out in the film room helping the starters game plan and analyze film. Maybe he isn't a starter anymore but as a quality backup/starter he would be excellent if the price is right.

Olsen still looks really good, but if he takes a bad step? RR is extremely picky about his budget safeties not making too many mistakes, so if Adams returns then it's a pretty good sign that we fans are being too negative about his play mistake wise. Peppers should retire a hero. Captain can take a long walk off a short pier.

11 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Olsen still looks really good, but if he takes a bad step? RR is extremely picky about his budget safeties not making too many mistakes, so if Adams returns then it's a pretty good sign that we fans are being too negative about his play mistake wise. Peppers should retire a hero. Captain can take a long walk off a short pier.

If Ron can’t see Adams mistakes on game tape then he needs to retire himself.

He was easily the worst player on The defense from middle of the season til the end. Father Time Still undefeated. A old slow safety just has too much to make up for.  Smarts can’t make up for lack of ability in that case.

Being out of position and being able to make up for it because of speed is one thing.

Knowing what position to be in but not being able to get there is called old and slow. Beats beat 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Adams was one of the worst players on the defense as the season went on. If he is back, it is a horrible sign 

The horrible sign is if he starts. On a cheap 1 year deal as a quality backup who can start for a few games but can't go all the time without wearing down, he has great value. But we won't have the cap to retain him and a starter unless the starter is already on the roster like Searcy or Gaulden. I would feel better if we lock up Reid and draft a safety as well.

This is where it would be great if someone was honest with him and told him he really should hang up the cleats. He would hate it but he is no longer the all-pro he used to be, he's not starter quality either. The fact he has done it this long is amazing but he just doesn't have it anymore. If he still wants to be involved, there is always coaching. I have a feeling he's not thinking about coming back as a backup either. 

My theory on Marty Hurney--he is more worried about getting worse than he is about getting better. 

When he starts stocking the shelves with overpriced, known commodities, that is his way of hiding his ineptitude. 

He relies on the expertise of his head coach and scouts without knowing first hand the skill sets that are needed.  For example, the year JR did not fire Fox, Fox and MH did not communicate before the draft.  Fox was a lame duck. 

That was the year that we drafted sure handed Brandon Lafell, Jimmy Clausen, Armanti Edwards, and Eric Norwood.

Just a theory, but we all know how good RR is at evaluating talent...

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Adams was one of the worst players on the defense as the season went on. If he is back, it is a horrible sign 

I've yet to see a positive sign under Tepper. To say he's starting out ass backwards would be a complement.

36 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

My theory on Marty Hurney--he is more worried about getting worse than he is about getting better. 

When he starts stocking the shelves with overpriced, known commodities, that is his way of hiding his ineptitude. 

He relies on the expertise of his head coach and scouts without knowing first hand the skill sets that are needed.  For example, the year JR did not fire Fox, Fox and MH did not communicate before the draft.  Fox was a lame duck. 

That was the year that we drafted sure handed Brandon Lafell, Jimmy Clausen, Armanti Edwards, and Eric Norwood.

Just a theory, but we all know how good RR is at evaluating talent...

RR is a good defensive mind and know defensive talent. Gaulden and Jackson are going to be solid picks. Norv is surely good at evaluating offensive talent. If the scouts are doing there job then Hurney's doesn't have to be a great talent evaluator. Let's be real here, Gettleman best skill was talent evaluation and look at how many misses we had under his watch including first rounders. Seems to me that all Hurney has to do is manage the draft and listen to his team. 

17 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

RR is a good defensive mind and know defensive talent. Gaulden and Jackson are going to be solid picks. Norv is surely good at evaluating offensive talent. If the scouts are doing there job then Hurney's doesn't have to be a great talent evaluator. Let's be real here, Gettleman best skill was talent evaluation and look at how many misses we had under his watch including first rounders. Seems to me that all Hurney has to do is manage the draft and listen to his team. 

I think RR knows LBs, but he was the coach when Star left and Poe entered. He was the coach when we drafted D. Hall, Daryl Worley, Vernon Butler,  Kony  Ealy,  ---In fact, aside from Bradberry,  Thompson, and Jackson,  there have not been  early draft defensive picks that have worked out over the past 4 or 5 years or so..  Who are the defensive line studs we have brought in over the last 5 years?  2 DE busts, 1 DT bust in the draft and what seems to be a major free agent bust in DT Poe.  0 for 4.

Your best point is about Norv, but I think his impact goes beyond the offensive side of the ball.  First of all, he is probably the person who influenced the Moore pick.  He spent time at UM and his man crush was palpable. But there was another indication that he had some pull in the draft---We also drafted Carter,, a LB from Maryland--did he catch Norv's eye?.  Jackson was a player RR wanted badly--he wanted to trade up for him.  That was a good call, albeit an easy one---he even said he wanted the opposite of Bradberry and Worley. https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Donte-Jackson-helps-Panthers-Ron-Rivera-123826017/

Is Rivera the defensive talent guru? Since 2014, Hall, Ealy, Butler, Worley?  Free agency: Poe?   Maybe not.  Maybe Norv will have a big voice again as we move forward.

s

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think RR knows LBs, but he was the coach when Star left and Poe entered. He was the coach when we drafted D. Hall, Daryl Worley, Vernon Butler,  Kony  Ealy,  ---In fact, aside from Bradberry,  Thompson, and Jackson,  there have not been  early draft defensive picks that have worked out over the past 4 or 5 years or so..  Who are the defensive line studs we have brought in over the last 5 years?  2 DE busts, 1 DT bust in the draft and what seems to be a major free agent bust in DT Poe.  0 for 4.

Your best point is about Norv, but I think his impact goes beyond the offensive side of the ball.  First of all, he is probably the person who influenced the Moore pick.  He spent time at UM and his man crush was palpable. But there was another indication that he had some pull in the draft---We also drafted Carter,, a LB from Maryland--did he catch Norv's eye?.  Jackson was a player RR wanted badly--he wanted to trade up for him.  That was a good call, albeit an easy one---he even said he wanted the opposite of Bradberry and Worley. https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Donte-Jackson-helps-Panthers-Ron-Rivera-123826017/

Is Rivera the defensive talent guru? Since 2014, Hall, Ealy, Butler, Worley?  Free agency: Poe?   Maybe not.  Maybe Norv will have a big voice again as we move forward.

s

From what I could tell for the vast majority of RRs tenure Gettleman did most of the picking not Rivera. Sure he said it was a team decision but let's be real here. Gettleman ran the show and fancied himself a great talent evaluator. Your complaints about the misses are more of an indictment of the scouting staff and Gettleman not Rivera. If you want to complain about Rivera complain about how he used what he got not who we drafted. Now Hurney and Rivera have more of a cooperative relationship 

9 hours ago, panthers55 said:

RR is a good defensive mind and know defensive talent. Gaulden and Jackson are going to be solid picks.

Head coaches are notoriously awful at drafting and don't have much input when it is all said and done.

Hurney and his scouts have 90% say on who is chosen. The coaches inform the GM on their needs and where the offense and defense is headed. The GM and scouts run with it from there.

Archived