• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Adams is not ready to hang up his cleats.

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

Yes, this is annoying. I’m a bigger fan of Adams than a lot of the huddle. I give him credit for laying some big hits, especially one on Julio last season when the rest of the team were going through the motions. But he is slow and he is old. Regression is clearly visible.

I count 4 different players who are talking up their NFL future despite clear drop off in play on an already old team. Olsen, Davis, Kalil, Adams. 

Olsen's dropoff in play is solely related to his injury. TD's play has been declining in small increments over the last few seasons, but he was still better than most LB's in the game in 2018. Kalil is Kalil, so I'm not quite sure of this big dropoff. Like Olsen, the question with him is injury. Now Adams did seem to noticeably drop off, but we're gonna have to wait and see what options are available before jettisoning him.

Mind you, I can see replacing them all, but just want to give a little more clarity in case we retain one or more of them on the cheap.

Mike Adams is one of those guys we brought in when churning the bottom of the roster didn't make sense. I don't think anyone expected much from Mike and he delivered. Watching him try to cover big TEs in 17' and fail was pretty depressing, and this season he had some shocking bloopers and torero defense. We ran into this problem because Tre Boston wasn't intelligent enough to be our last line of defense and thus didn't receive a new contract, and we didn't have ps guy who was ready or worthy to move up.

4 minutes ago, Pissed-Off-Carolina-Chuck said:

Reid too. Shaq too. Butler is

Reid was good. You and others just need to stop with that narrative. He may not ever be great, but above average is his floor. Injury and cost are the primary reasons to consider in regards to Reid.

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Olsen's dropoff in play is solely related to his injury. TD's play has been declining in small increments over the last few seasons, but he was still better than most LB's in the game in 2018. Kalil is Kalil, so I'm not quite sure of this big dropoff. Like Olsen, the question with him is injury. Now Adams did seem to noticeably drop off, but we're gonna have to wait and see what options are available before jettisoning him.

Mind you, I can see replacing them all, but just want to give a little more clarity in case we retain one or more of them on the cheap.

Would it help if I clarified by saying drop off in production versus cap hit/expectations? Because yes Kalil never reached a good enough level to achieve a drop off I agree. Olsen being injured for the best part of 2 years while certainly not his fault rankles because he spent so much energy talking himself up and how underpaid he was at a time when we had little cap room available.

Look I understand that nobody will speak up for the players except themselves but it sometimes comes across as self serving. 

I’ve said elsewhere, I would bring Davis back because I think he had a bit of a resurgence this year and I’m personally not a fan of Shaq. I wasn’t a fan of Davis play versus his cap hit last year, but if we can get this year’s Davis at a lower price that just seems like a low risk investment in a franchise legend.

Never ever use Panthers.com as a crystal ball for what the Panthers will do in the future. That's like relying on Julio's "source" which is probably the assistant manager at Little Ceasars masquerading as a Panthers FO employee on Instagram. Panthers.com has a reputation for writing fluff pieces on players who won't be on the team much longer.

57 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not necessarily. It's just that time of year. I absolutely don't think that these articles about aging vets desiring to return have anything to do with personnel decisions.

I agree they don't know what is going to happen but they know the storylines to pursue. Which of our free agents are going to be retained and who is going to seeking employment elsewhere. Davis and Adams, Peppers and M Kalil among others like the Captain.  What else you do when we are out of it the first week of January.

Archived