• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Knock Knock. Who's there?

Jeremy Igo

31 minutes ago, Hammerin'Cam1 said:

If Greg Olsen played like the typical Greg Olsen this season woulda been completely different and for the better. Everything is negative around here ... but literally, if everything else was the same this season except for the Greg Olsen we had was typical Olsen, everything would have been different. There would be no Cam shoulder talk.

Greg Olsen did play like his usual self when he played, but he was too injured to play for a lot of the year.

1 minute ago, Hammerin'Cam1 said:

Would you point to him this season, though, when asked who was a reliable target for Cam?

Or Funchess?

Or Curtis Samuel, who's not been healthy a full season?

Or DJ Moore, a rookie?

McCaffrey was the one reliable target for Cam but .. he was mainly a dump off valve .. no true reliable downfield targets + a suspect pass blocking offensive line, but it's Cam's shoulder!

McCaffrey actually set a record for yards from scrimmage by a Panthers back. You'll find that and more info in the final season report on the team website.

Heck, Maurice Jones-Drew said McCaffrey is now the primary engine of the offense.

(not that you wanna hear any of that)

Just now, Hammerin'Cam1 said:

Williams in 2008 was better than McCaffrey was this season, so take these records and shove them, they are meaningless ... DeAngelo Williams in 2008 had 20 TD's and was one of the best players on a 12 win team ...

Scot, the Panthers were 7-9 this year and missed the playoffs, who gives a fug what McCaffrey did? It wasn't instrumental in any success was it?

If we had Julio Jones I guarantee you that McCaffrey wouldn't be the engine of the offense, and set the Panthers single season scrimmage yards record.

If we had Julio Jones I still think McCaffrey would be a key component of the success but he wouldn't be the engine, for fugs sake, of the success ... the reason we suck is because any success we get on offense comes from McCaffrey, because Olsen doesn't play, Funchess sucks, and Samuel and Moore are green as hell

Ah yes, so the records only matter when they favor someone other than McCaffrey :)

Look, kid. It's pretty obvious you've got an "everybody but McCaffrey" bias. It's stupid, and it makes you say stupid things. And it's why some of us play with you like a cat playing with a ball of yarn.

But hey, if you really wanna get ticked off, read this.

MJD ranks the runningbacks

4 hours ago, TheRed said:

What choice do we really have though at this point? Just shows how horrendous that contract was.

But hey, Vernon Butler at least made one or two decent plays in his career amirite?

lets try Butler at OL...one more shot to make the team...

36 minutes ago, Hammerin'Cam1 said:

McCaffrey's stats will naturally go down when we are a better offense, you think that's false?

I think you could write down everything you know about football on a Post It note and still have room for a grocery list.

1 hour ago, Cdw said:

I'm not 100% sure, but, I thought the subject came up early this season and he refused to play any position other than LT.

Wow. You can't talk like that and be garbage at the same time. 

The equation is pretty simple

Jordan Gross: Cam ROTY

Michael Oher: Cam MVP

Hard to admit we called up Nate Chandler, Byron Bell x2, Matt Kalil, and Chris Clark to protect our QB.   

6 hours ago, t96 said:

Clark was serviceable for a few games but during our losing streak he was by far the worst starting lineman in the entire league. Kalil is terrible but has never in his career been as bad as Clark has been.

Newhouse, not Clark, was in when Allen was hurt. I believe Newhouse was also in when Heinicke was hurt. I'm not saying we can't do better than Clark or Kalil but he's not as bad as you may think.

If you don't read The Riot Report, you definitely should start. Vincent Richardson does a very good job breaking down the Panthers' needs on offense. This is only part of his article.  https://theriotreport.com/panthers-postmortem-2018-offense/

Some things are clear; neither Clark nor Newhouse are starting-caliber left tackles in the NFL, Matt Kalil is overpaid and left tackles don’t grow on trees. For the Panthers, the key is to focus on what they can control, as while I think it would be hard to argue that Matt Kalil has been worth the money the Panthers gave him a couple of years ago, this is not something they can change, and making a decision based on what can’t be changed is foolish.

Instead, what they can control is whether they add a player who is better than Kalil.

While Kalil hasn’t been perfect, the public perception of his play is more extreme than the reality, when he has been healthy he has been a solid starting left tackle. Given that the free agent tackle class is highlighted by names such as Donovan Smith, Cedric Ogbuehi and Greg Robinson, there is little chance of the Panthers getting an upgrade from the free agent pool. The draft is always an option, but the expectation that you’ll be able to find a good starting left tackle in the draft is one that runs a high risk of being met with disappointment.

The final option the Panthers have would be to resign Daryl Williams and to move Moton over to left tackle, and while this has the potential to offer some improvement, it would likely come at the cost of giving a not-insignificant contract to a player who has missed large chunks of his first four seasons to injury and who, while not a poor player by any means, is not an obvious improvement over Kalil. What should be clear at this point is that the Panthers don’t have a clear path at left tackle, but the important thing will be to get the best player possible without having to add even more cap space to what is unlikely to be a strength of the roster  – if the Panthers choose to bring back Williams, move Moton to left tackle and part with Kalil, they’ll need to ensure that it’s at the right price.

From another article on The Riot Report explining Kalil's cap hit. https://theriotreport.com/matt-kalil-panthers-cap-hit-release/

While Kalil still has over $40m left on his deal that extends through 2021, his 2019 cap hit would be $12.1m; however, if the Panthers release the 29-year old this offseason, his dead cap hit would be $14.7m against the 2019 cap and actually cost the Panthers over $2m in cap room – which certainly doesn’t sound very palatable.

But if the Panthers designate Kalil’s release as post-June 1, the left tackle will only count for $4.9m towards the 2019 cap, with most of that dead cap hit coming in 2020 – the Panthers would have $9.8m of Kalil’s contract count towards the 2020 salary cap, according to Spotrac.

The move would give the Panthers $7.25m in cap space during the 2019 offseason – perhaps money that could be used to sign a pass rusher. Perhaps a safety.

Or perhaps a new tackle.

6 hours ago, TheRed said:

Vikings fans practically threw a parade when Matt Kalil left town.

They tried to warn us.

I still follow the Vikings since they were the team I liked before the Panthers were created. They were just like us, excited to get rid of easily our worst Lineman at the time us Remmers and them Matt. Now both are hoping and praying to replace our turnstiles again just this time in reverse them Remmers and us Matt. I've lost count how many times I've seen a Viking fan cussing because of Remmers.

If matt was truly injured, I'm going to sound like a pure @ss.

I defended him til knee scope after preseason game 3. I don't care about interweb hate trains, he did improve some during the 2017 season. But it was a total weak scared scum move to get a basic knee scope AND not play. I know many people react differently to injuries, but many can play within days and most within 2 weeks. 

He heard the hate and ran away via a basic knee scope. Williams had ALL sort issues and came back, a true team-mate. If not for a random play, he may have played the entire year on a serve knee injury. Matt couldn't and let down the entire team. fug him.

Archived