• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching changes likely on the way.

Jeremy Igo

12 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

We’ve been firing everyone around Rivera for years expecting different results. Insanity 

That is commonplace in the NFL. Look at Minnesota and now the Falcons. And when we demoted Washington didn't the defense get better results. Not exactly insanity. 

19 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That is commonplace in the NFL. Look at Minnesota and now the Falcons. And when we demoted Washington didn't the defense get better results. Not exactly insanity. 

Just against the saints. They still looked bad against Cleveland and Atlanta 

I guess Tepper has already figured out that he can still make a poo-ton of money by fielding a mediocre team in the NFL.   While the average fan would like to see their team as a perennial contender for championships,  I really don't think they are all that discriminating.  Just give them a team to cheer for on lazy Sunday afternoons and they'll be content - do you think the average fan sits and broods about Rivera and his miscues that cost us games ? - hell I bet half of them don't even know who the head coach is and can't name a player other than LUUUKe and Cam.   Why take a chance on having a great team, if you can comfortably make a profit of tens of millions of dollars every year by following the same old same old ?  

I can't help but feel that this was a compromise of sorts so that RR could save his job.  It is not addressing the central problem--it is addressing the symptoms of that problem.  The central problem seems to be RR's inability to be objective in the oversight of personnel.  Part of that process is a lack of ability to reflect and grow--he simply repeats the same mistakes year in and year out.

Ron wants loyalty and respect due to his rank--common for those from military families.  Loyalty is a key virtue in the military--you trust your own and all who aren't are potential enemies or threats to the strength of the unit.

But the NFL is fluid and performance is assessed from week to week.  The "Us against them" mentality loses its luster after a while.  I do not see how RR can distance himself from the coaches he will fire as a condition of retaining his employment without analyzing his inability to address these weaknesses proactively. 

Finally, and I give Tepper a year to see the whole process, but this gives RR an out.  Once again, he is pointing the finger at someone else and Tepper is giving that practice validity.  Maybe there are things in play that we do not know.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Yeah but those coaches havent been with their teams 8 years. I think Dan Quinn just had his first losing season with the Falcons. Rivera is 3 out of 8.

12 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Yeah but those coaches havent been with their teams 8 years. I think Dan Quinn just had his first losing season with the Falcons. Rivera is 3 out of 8.

3 out of 8 is what coaches without a franchise QB do-

RR had a Super-Bowl contending team for about 6 seasons.  The window opened and closed while he had an elite QB and a top 5 defense. 

He gets it honestly.  As a Defensive Coordinator with Norv' Turner,  the 2010 Chargers failed to make the playoffs with the #1 defense and the #1 offense in the NFL .   Phillip RIvers, entering his prime, was the franchise QB. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_San_Diego_Chargers_season

They finished 9-7.

49 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Quinn's has been there 4 years and 2019 will be his 5th year. His regular season record is  36-28. He also inherited a much better team that Rivera did. Ron's first 2 seasons were losing one but he went from 2-14 to 6-10 and then 7-9 with a rookie quarterback and little talent. Quinn already had a franchise quarterback and before Quinn took over they went 6-10 in 2014. Apples and Oranges 

58 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I can't help but feel that this was a compromise of sorts so that RR could save his job.  It is not addressing the central problem--it is addressing the symptoms of that problem.  The central problem seems to be RR's inability to be objective in the oversight of personnel.  Part of that process is a lack of ability to reflect and grow--he simply repeats the same mistakes year in and year out.

Ron wants loyalty and respect due to his rank--common for those from military families.  Loyalty is a key virtue in the military--you trust your own and all who aren't are potential enemies or threats to the strength of the unit.

But the NFL is fluid and performance is assessed from week to week.  The "Us against them" mentality loses its luster after a while.  I do not see how RR can distance himself from the coaches he will fire as a condition of retaining his employment without analyzing his inability to address these weaknesses proactively. 

Finally, and I give Tepper a year to see the whole process, but this gives RR an out.  Once again, he is pointing the finger at someone else and Tepper is giving that practice validity.  Maybe there are things in play that we do not know.

Obviously Tepper doesn't think Rivera was the main problem or he would be gone. So your whole premise is your opinion which isn't shared by Tepper or those folks who he reached out to in order to make his decision or he would have made a different one 

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Obviously Tepper doesn't think Rivera was the main problem or he would be gone. So your whole premise is your opinion which isn't shared by Tepper or those folks who he reached out to in order to make his decision or he would have made a different one 

I know it is an opinion.  I presented it that way.  Nice catch. 

1 hour ago, Camp Fodder said:

Just against the saints. They still looked bad against Cleveland and Atlanta 

Cleveland was when Washington was still calling plays. And against Atlanta they didn't look bad they simply had no offense. At half time it was 10-10. We didn't score after that 

Archived