• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching changes likely on the way.

Jeremy Igo

12 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

Rivera announced he was taking over play calling the week before we played the browns

But he didn't take over duties on the field until after halftime. Players like Adams said he knew Rivera took over at halftime because he heard a play called not in the game plan. Seattle scored 9 points in the second versus 17 on the first half. Proves my point. His first full game calling plays was against New Orleans 

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

But he didn't take over duties on the field until after halftime. Players like Adams said he knew Rivera took over at halftime because he heard a play called not in the game plan. Seattle scored 9 points in the second versus 17 on the first half. Proves my point. His first full game calling plays was against New Orleans 

That was Tampa he took over at halftime (if not before). So his first full game calling the defense was at Cleveland.

“Rivera, a former defensive coordinator in Chicago and San Diego, "helped out" with defensive play calls on Sunday against Tampa Bay.”

Just now, mjligon said:

That was Tampa.

I could be wrong I thought it was Seattle. But I think the point remains the same we were much better once Rivera took over which is a bigger deal when you look at how little help the defense got from the offense during that time. Our offense would start out well and fade. Do you think a healthy Cam doesn't make that pass to go ahead with a few minutes left against Cleveland. 

23 minutes ago, mjligon said:

That was Tampa he took over at halftime (if not before). So his first full game calling the defense was at Cleveland.

“Rivera, a former defensive coordinator in Chicago and San Diego, "helped out" with defensive play calls on Sunday against Tampa Bay.”

Thanks for the clarification. You aren't arguing the defense didn't improve from Washington to Rivera though?

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Plus I am against starting rookies right away

Now I know why you like Rivera.  the only time he will start a rookie is when he has no other choice.  Matters not that in some cases the rookie is the better player and gives us a better chance to win.

plus he still has dan mangina morgan's # as his username.    good god what a bad contract hurney gave that dude after he showed he couldn't stay healthy.   and dangina signed it in a hurry, just like ryan's brother did.

12 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Now I know why you like Rivera.  the only time he will start a rookie is when he has no other choice.  Matters not that in some cases the rookie is the better player and gives us a better chance to win.

So he had no choice but start McCaffrey last year or Jackson this year? How about Bradberry and Worley when they were rookies? How about Cam and Kuechly and on and on.  Truth is most coaches don't start rookies if they have vets who can do the job. In most cases the rookie isn't better right away. General wisdom is most rookies need at least a half season before they are really productive. Some positions like running back can do well out the box. Rivera playing or not playing rookies has nothing to do with why I support him. It is because of which team he coaches 

7 minutes ago, raz said:

plus he still has dan mangina morgan's # as his username.    good god what a bad contract hurney gave that dude after he showed he couldn't stay healthy.   and dangina signed it in a hurry, just like ryan's brother did.

Nope not even close although it is his number. It is also the year I was born. 

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So he had no choice but start McCaffrey last year or Jackson this year? How about Bradberry and Worley when they were rookies?

What other options did he have ?   Be real with your answer.  

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

How about Cam and Kuechly and on and

Same with Cam.  Pickels ?  are you shitting me ?  even Richardson would have fired him for being so dumb.  Keek didn't start I don't think at mike till Beason was hurt.  My memory may be wrong on that.  If he did he saw a once in a blue moon talent that had to be on the field.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn kind of thing.

Just now, Paa Langfart said:

What other options did he have ?   Be real with your answer.  

Same with Cam.  Pickels ?  are you shitting me ?  even Richardson would have fired him for being so dumb.  Keek didn't start I don't think at mike till Beason was hurt.  My memory may be wrong on that.  If he did he saw a once in a blue moon talent that had to be on the field.  Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn kind of thing.

The first choice with Bradberry was keep Norman. Second was convince Gettleman to bring in a good veteran. He could have played Benwikere or McClain who both weren't good but at least we're as good as Worley.  But he went with the rookies because they weren't his first choice but were Gettleman's so little risk or blame if they struggled. 

In Cam's case he had little other choice but wasn't forced into anything. He wanted Cam from the get go and wanted to develop him. Kueckly did start at weak linebacker and moved to the Mike position when Beason got hurt. Funny that Kuechly is now a once in a  blue moon talent. I remember arguing with lots of posters who thought Kuechly wasn't that great and his numbers were inflated. I said he was the best defensive pick in that draft and still think so.

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Nope not even close although it is his number. It is also the year I was born. 

damn, you're older than me.   bro you gotta change with the times.  its a college league.  rookies can play now.  

Archived