• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So ... How well will Taylor Heinicke perform?

Jeremy Igo

Showing out early is easier than later.  No one has tape on Taylor, no tendencies, weaknesses, strengths out there for defensive coordinators to focus on for an entire week.  Sure they can drop back to college tape, but that is almost meaningless when translated to a pro team with different weapons, different coaching, different speed on and on.  Really, the only value college tape would provide is insight to his physical skill set.  So, in summary, I wouldn't read into any players performance early in their career.  It's when they can still be successful AFTER the rap sheet is out on how to beat them that the performance carries any value.  What Taylor does means nothing to me other than watching the last 6 hours of Panther football for the 2018 season.

9 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

That is something I have thought about as well, does all the read option, less traditional run game and lineman not knowing if the QB is going to move outside the pocket or not actually make their job more difficult? Obviously Cam has bailed them out plenty but also sometimes his mobility can be his detriment whereas small, subtle movements are more effective inside the pocket.

I'm not saying it as a slight to Cam. I'm saying it will be a gauge of how well this line is really blocking.  And I would be curious to see how this offense would look with more traditional passing. 

1 hour ago, TheRed said:

I honestly fear for any other QB not named Cam Newton behind this OL.

Just a few lapses in pocket awareness, and you could be sending a guy straight to IR.

You think Heinicke makes it through a full game with defenders going helmet first into his throwing shoulder at full speed?

This Oline is serviceable with a pocket passer.  I think Heinicke will do just fine.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I feel like it is almost a certainty that Cam won't play Sunday. Rivera just doesn't want to give Atlanta a heads up (like it even matters anyways)

Taylor Heinicke was an underdog to win the backup QB position, but won it. So he has that going for him. 

What happens if he comes out and lights it up against Atlanta? 

He won’t. The OL will be exposed. CMC will be spied bc the threat of Cam running will be gone...Norv will just try to protect the ball at Ron’s direction. Im predicting 15/25, 165 yards, 2INTs, 1 TD. 

7 minutes ago, Manther said:

This Oline is serviceable with a pocket passer.  I think Heinicke will do just fine.

I think we may have different definitions of "serviceable". Traditional passers require some semblance of a run game. We built this roster to pound the rock. This all hinges on whether or not we can successfully run the ball. Again, removing a threat like Cam from the equation means the defense can use more resources on containing CMC. They will dare the QB to beat them with his arm. If we're still running long developing routes like we have been, it's gonna be a long day for Heinicke.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I think we may have different definitions of "serviceable". Traditional passers require some semblance of a run game. We built this roster to pound the rock. This all hinges on whether or not we can successfully run the ball. Again, removing a threat like Cam from the equation means the defense can use more resources on containing CMC. They will dare the QB to beat them with his arm. If we're still running long developing routes like we have been, it's gonna be a long day for Heinicke.

Maybe.  Don't get me wrong, Heinicke is not going to outperform a healthy Cam.  That said, Cam's biggest hit was the facemask, helmet sandwich on the goal line.  He got the ball off, but never stepped up, giving the ends direct lines.

CMC turns a loss into 2 yards and and 2 yards into 4.  I bet we still are able to run with Taylor in.

Better Taylor getting beaten down than Cam, unfortunately.  

If Taylor lights it up we might stand a chance to win which is better than the odds with Cam right now. Next year is next year. We don't know where Cam will be with his shoulder or even if we have the same coaches or GM. Right now I am focused on Atlanta and winning that game. Then on to New Orleans. Plenty of time for a QB controversy next year.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

If Taylor lights it up we might stand a chance to win which is better than the odds with Cam right now. Next year is next year. We don't know where Cam will be with his shoulder or even if we have the same coaches or GM. Right now I am focused on Atlanta and winning that game. Then on to New Orleans. Plenty of time for a QB controversy next year.

I mean yea we have no chance of winning when the other team knows you arent gonna attempt a pass over 15 yards. That was probably the Stains easiest defensive outing this year based on that. And we still had chances to win.

Heinicke should be fine in the offense. In years past Cam was the offense but honestly this offense has more weapons and doesn't need the quarterback to be Superman. He simple has to find the open guy, hit them with a pass, and hand off the ball. We will be fine without Cam who wasn't effective with  a loaded box on every play.

Archived