• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sadly, the Cam era may be coming to an end.

Jeremy Igo

19 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Cam has said he has no answers on his shoulder from the best doctors available. It doesn't get better, it doesn't get worse. What we are seeing now is what it will be, and that ain't great news. 

His shoulder seems to be ok up until the mid point of the NFL season before it takes a turn for the worse. It just does not appear to be able to take the stress of a full season. Cam looked like he was throwing a shot put at times yesterday. Heartbreaking to watch. Sure, another surgery could possibly improve it, but it is just as likely (if not more likely) it could make it worse. 

I feel like the Panthers had better draft a QB early this year. A team with this type of heads up that doesn't draft a contingency is doomed. I like Will Grier out of WVU. Scrappy local kid. 

We are ready to win with Tepper...right??? Have no fear Igo...Tepper will lead us to the promised land as the golden calf of Carolina that he is!

17 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Let him go he was never a Panthers fan anyway. He was just here because of Cam.  

I was here throughout the entire Delhomme era bud.

You best quote me if you're gonna try to talk out your ass. Especially after your disappearing acts over the years when we were winning under Cam.

Straight up IMO you're a piece of poo.

Just now, TheRed said:

You best quote me if you're gonna try to talk out your ass. Especially after your disappearing acts over the years when we were winning under Cam.

I have been around but no reason to post when we are doing good. 

And honestly I could care less what you think of me.  Just find it funny that every time someone wanted to complain about Cam mechanics was you calling them a racist.  Fact was Cam didnt improve them and now that he is injured again his career span is shortened.  If he would have he could be compared to Brees and his shoulder injury and people would think Cam would have another 8 years.  

I have never hated Cam yet you tried to paint me as a hater. You sir are the biggest racist piece of poo on this board. You look for racism in ever post even when there isnt any. Sure there are racist but not everyone is.  Difference of opinion doesnt make one.  

I actually hope Cam fully recovers and plays another 8 years here.  That would be best for the organization. 

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Flacco should be available 

I know he isn’t the best option but he is a option until Newton’s situation is figured out

we have so many needs right now ..not funny 

shame they didn’t bother to try and get Bridgewater for a third last year 

problem is too this offense has been tailored for Newton 

I have no idea whether Cam is done, on the green mile of his career, or will come back.  I don't think anybody else has any idea right now, either.

I was thinking about Flacco and lamenting Bridgewater when I read this.  The question with Flacco is how much it would take to get him, either as a trade or the money if/when the Ravens release him.  Is he great?  No, he is very good at times and awful at others, but he at least has demonstrated he can do the job.  He might be enough to fill in while Cam heals properly rather than starting with a reactivation date and compromising whatever treatment is necessary to meet it.

If Cam is on the winding road to being done, we are looking for someone to fill in until you find the next long-term option or a better stop gap.  Beyond Flacco and Alex Smith, the list of backups and journeymen available for potential immediate use is limited.   Whether Cam comes back or not, and I am not willing to wave the white flag that he will not, we are not looking for a long-term solution here.

I think shifting the offense from Cam-centric to a more traditional QB role can be done.  Turner did some of that this year, and he is quite capable of devising a scheme to transition the rest of the way.  If he is flushed away, one would hope the next OC would be able to figure that out.  It is usually easier to transition to a more traditional offense (unless you have done something like the pure run and shoot and altered the roster to some extreme) than it is to transition from one.  Even under Shula, the offense was not bewildered when Derek Anderson would come in, and in fact handled it pretty well.

Again, these are not long-term solutions, but stop gaps until Cam is either healthy (and then is a credible backup) or we find the next QB.

And at this point, if I am Tepper, Rivera either walks out of my office with Cam done for the year and committed to getting him healthy, if possible, or he walks out unemployed.  There is a level of lunacy that just deserves no less of a show of force, and continuing to jeopardize the franchise QB (if you have not already ruined him) reaches that level.

20 minutes ago, TheRed said:

might as well stick around dude, you're one of about five posters I respect on here and I haven't yet encountered three of the five

Sweet troll/parody thread, Zod.

Cam sits as the 7th best QB in the league. You don't walk away from a QB like that. If his shoulder is truly shot, you do have to have a contingency plan. The Panthers do not. But like someone said, look at Luck. He came back. Cam is a great QB, but you have to look at things objectively. Your whole Panther fandom has given you Jake, Collins, Matt Moore, McCown, Beuerlein, Peete, etc. Of course Cam looks like a god among them and he is. But don't let it blind you to any truths. He's not elite right now. Hopefully he can come back to MVP form.

4 hours ago, TheRed said:

Regardless of Cam, we haven't had a legit backup QB in awhile. Drafting one at this point is all but certain. We have no choice.

But this whole thing with Cam, and the overwhelming relentless bullshit he has endured over the last 8 years has really really really soured me on Charlotte sports. I'm stepping back from the Panthers. I'm not adopting another team, I don't bandwagon, but Charlotte sports right now are just horrific. No point wasting energy following a team with a fanbase that tries so ridiculously hard to push talent out the door because "reasons".

Was just having this convo with my 16 year old son.

6 hours ago, bigdog10 said:

I’d put him in touch with Lucks people. Find out what Luck did to get right and follow the same path. 

If that means taking a year to heal then so be it. Come back in 2020 and be ready to go. If 2020 is old Cam, you sign him to an extension. If 2020 is a bomb and the shoulder is shot, it’s time to part ways. 

In this scenario, we are going to need to find a stop gap for next year. 

I said the exact same thing today. Better for him to take his time and get it right, or try to. I would be willing to take a year sucking and have one more push to the promised land with Cam. 

Archived