• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sadly, the Cam era may be coming to an end.

Jeremy Igo

A lot of you are in serious denial. Cam may very well be done...playing QB.

He's still plenty healthy enough to be athletic and useful. If his shoulder never heals to the point of being able to throw down field effectively, do we move him to a "joker role" on offense? He comes in sometimes at QB, he goes to TE/slot sometimes, out wide sometimes, etc. If he's down for that, he can legitimately be the most versatile weapon this league has ever seen. But it's a matter of if it's the throwing motion that is aggravating the shoulder to this point or general wear and tear. If it's the latter, and if surgery can't fix it, then he might be done all around. But if it's just the throwing 25+ passes per game + passing through the week in practice...

Cam is not even 2 years out of rotator cuff surgery and had more passing attempts this season than any other season. I really don't think it's that big of a shock that his shoulder still isn't quite ready for all of that. MRI has been negative so he did not reinjure it, he's just dealing with soreness and stiffness that can be part of the healing process and may only be resolved by rest. A lot still remains to be seen, but people are jumping to some pretty dramatic conclusions and engaging in wild speculation.

Cam himself is obviously frustrated but does not seem all that concerned about his long term prognosis.

26 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

If its true he hasn't reinjured is he just being rested because he's frustrated?

He's being rested because the soreness he's experiencing has escalated to the point that it's severely inhibiting his ability to perform and increasing his chances of reinjuring it. The pitch count he's been on while trying to manage the soreness and avoid further injury has also severely limited his ability to practice which is affecting his performance.

Also... when you begin to compensate the way Cam has been (shot putting throws) you run the risk of new and possibly even more severe injuries. 

I think this thing just reached a tipping point on Monday where Cam, the medical staff and the coaches had to accept that the only way to move past this was rest.

13 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

Cam is not even 2 years out of rotator cuff surgery and had more passing attempts this season than any other season. I really don't think it's that big of a shock that his shoulder still isn't quite ready for all of that.

I'm starting to question Hurney and Norv. CMC obviously has been playing his ass off, but we've been using him more in the passing game. I have to wonder if things might have played out differently if we had signed an RB who could actually contribute in some meaningful way instead of CJ Anderson. The failure of that signing isn't entirely on the FO of course, but this is a team built on establishing the run. That's the identity Ron wants. More versatility is always a good thing. With just CMC we were forced to give him an almost absurd number of reps at times. That limited us. I just don't understand how we basically gave up on that knowing Cam was dealing with shoulder soreness. Sounds like mismanagement to me.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

I'm starting to question Hurney and Norv. CMC obviously has been playing his ass off, but we've been using him more in the passing game. I have to wonder if things might have played out differently if we had signed an RB who could actually contribute in some meaningful way instead of CJ Anderson. The failure of that signing isn't entirely on the FO of course, but this is a team built on establishing the run. That's the identity Ron wants. More versatility is always a good thing. With just CMC we were forced to give him an almost absurd number of reps at times. That limited us. I just don't understand how we basically gave up on that knowing Cam was dealing with shoulder soreness. Sounds like mismanagement to me.

It's been mismanagement from day one. 2.5 GMs and no Oline protection, except your center... 

Everybody, or at least most people knew, Cam could be a special QB. But the Carolina Panthers didn't, and still don't know what to do with a QB like Cam. 

Newton is just 29, but at times, he moved as if he was 49 this season. It's not entirely surprising given all the hits he's taken. He spent much of this season fighting a shoulder injury, one that prompted the Panthers to decide this week to shut Newton down for the rest of the season, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. One NFL assistant coach said it looked as if Newton was experiencing a "Rob Gronkowski-type decline"; the Patriots tight end is also 29 and seemingly in a constant battle to remain healthy enough to play.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2811466-end-of-cam-newtons-season-may-not-be-all-thats-coming-to-an-end-for-panthers.amp.html

I can certainly see what  Igo is worried about & I really hope not. League is much better and more fun with a healthy Cam Newton.

OTOH, if Cam gets healthy and can add the deep throw back into Turner's system, that'll make for a really good offense.

Hate years like this for both my team and yours. Both fanbases thought a big year was possible, then key injuries derailed that.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:20 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Andrew Luck has shoulder issues 

“He’ll be fine”

Cam Newton has shoulder issues 

“I’m so excited to see who replaces Cam next year”

I've seen a couple assholes already speculate about what if Heinicke is the next Tom Brady. Seriously? He's a JAG that's lucky to be on an NFL roster. He's not even a proven backup at this point in his career. But that won't stop people from posting how much they love learning about him, and how he's "my quarterback". This fanbase is pathetic.

Archived