• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sadly, the Cam era may be coming to an end.

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

Ok Mr.Plagiarist , how many articles have  you stolen from others as basis for your stupid analysis threads. 

79A5CE15-9F2E-46CA-8F4A-DE4137EEF935.thumb.jpeg.237c86cb64e99c6f99a6b92271640cb2.jpeg

Oh, the humor in the biggest poo poster on this board (who actually tries to seem like he knows the first thing about the sport) calling out someone else’s analysis.

Seriously, find a new team.

Find a new board.

Learn proper sentence structure. 

5 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I have no idea whether Cam is done, on the green mile of his career, or will come back.  I don't think anybody else has any idea right now, either.

I was thinking about Flacco and lamenting Bridgewater when I read this.  The question with Flacco is how much it would take to get him, either as a trade or the money if/when the Ravens release him.  Is he great?  No, he is very good at times and awful at others, but he at least has demonstrated he can do the job.  He might be enough to fill in while Cam heals properly rather than starting with a reactivation date and compromising whatever treatment is necessary to meet it.

If Cam is on the winding road to being done, we are looking for someone to fill in until you find the next long-term option or a better stop gap.  Beyond Flacco and Alex Smith, the list of backups and journeymen available for potential immediate use is limited.   Whether Cam comes back or not, and I am not willing to wave the white flag that he will not, we are not looking for a long-term solution here.

I think shifting the offense from Cam-centric to a more traditional QB role can be done.  Turner did some of that this year, and he is quite capable of devising a scheme to transition the rest of the way.  If he is flushed away, one would hope the next OC would be able to figure that out.  It is usually easier to transition to a more traditional offense (unless you have done something like the pure run and shoot and altered the roster to some extreme) than it is to transition from one.  Even under Shula, the offense was not bewildered when Derek Anderson would come in, and in fact handled it pretty well.

Again, these are not long-term solutions, but stop gaps until Cam is either healthy (and then is a credible backup) or we find the next QB.

And at this point, if I am Tepper, Rivera either walks out of my office with Cam done for the year and committed to getting him healthy, if possible, or he walks out unemployed.  There is a level of lunacy that just deserves no less of a show of force, and continuing to jeopardize the franchise QB (if you have not already ruined him) reaches that level.

I agree with you. I’m no Flacco fan and Bridgewater has his issues too but we need to have someone in case Newton has a prolonged recovery or god forbid is finished   

My feeling is build those lines.  In the first, drafting where we will be drafting, it will be the best chance at a true OT. We have to hit it. Then deal with defense.  Find free agents for the rest. Tough place as our linebacker core is losing Davis and Luke is not getting younger either 

bit no matter who the qb is, that LT position has to be fixed 

Since we will not know Cam's long-term prognosis for probably 12-18 months, I recommend the following:

Sit Cam for the last 2 games. 

Sign a FA QB to hold down things for a year or two (Tyrod Taylor / McNown, Carr).

Re-sign WIlliams, move Moton to the left, and cut ties with Kalil, Kalil, Olsen, Munnerlyn, Peppers, TD, Adams, Funchess, Shaq, and anyone else over the age of 30.  We'll probably have to eat 40 mil in dead money, but we're not competing for a SB so lets clean the books.  We may get some comp picks for Funchess and Shaq.

We are probably looking at a top 10-12 pick.

Draft a DE in the first.

Draft an OG in the second.

Draft a LB and CB/S in the third.

Play 2019 without Cam.

Then after the 2019 season, figure out what Cam's situation is and go from there.

2 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Since we will not know Cam's long-term prognosis for probably 12-18 months, I recommend the following:

Sit Cam for the last 2 games. 

Sign a FA QB to hold down things for a year or two (Tyrod Taylor / McNown, Carr).

Re-sign WIlliams, move Moton to the left, and cut ties with Kalil, Kalil, Olsen, Munnerlyn, Peppers, TD, Adams, Funchess, Shaq, and anyone else over the age of 30.  We'll probably have to eat 40 mil in dead money, but we're not competing for a SB so lets clean the books.  We may get some comp picks for Funchess and Shaq.

We are probably looking at a top 10-12 pick.

Draft a DE in the first.

Draft an OG in the second.

Draft a LB and CB/S in the third.

Play 2019 without Cam.

Then after the 2019 season, figure out what Cam's situation is and go from there.

Moton disappointed me last night.  Not sure he is a LT now....Change my mind

8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I realize that many see Brees and Rivers and Rodgers and Brady etc. playing through age 35 and beyond, but that is not Cam's fate.  He has taken too many  beatings, and they take their toll.  His third contract is on the horizon, one that will begin at age 31 or so.  If this is the beginning of the end, then we need a QB now to groom for a year. 

Cam's expression last night was all I needed to see--it was as if he realized for the first time that he is mortal. 

Yea, it looked like he was going through an anxiety attack on the bench, as it looked like he didn’t know exactly what was going on and why he couldn’t connect on his throws.

I don’t want to give up on him yet, but it would be smart for the team to get his replacement in here ASAP. I say that as a huge Cam Newton fan

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Cam has said he has no answers on his shoulder from the best doctors available. It doesn't get better, it doesn't get worse. What we are seeing now is what it will be, and that ain't great news. 

His shoulder seems to be ok up until the mid point of the NFL season before it takes a turn for the worse. It just does not appear to be able to take the stress of a full season. Cam looked like he was throwing a shot put at times yesterday. Heartbreaking to watch. Sure, another surgery could possibly improve it, but it is just as likely (if not more likely) it could make it worse. 

I feel like the Panthers had better draft a QB early this year. A team with this type of heads up that doesn't draft a contingency is doomed. I like Will Grier out of WVU. Scrappy local kid. 

Lol and it’s official this place is going downhill.

5 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Grier BLOWS.

Why the fug does everyone want to be the Browns 2.0 instead of giving Cam a chance to heal?

I don't think everybody does.  The point is to be prepared to play games while he heals, if that takes longer than the offseason, and realize he may not come back.

On balance, I think most of us would much rather he come back strong rather than being part of our history.  Very, very, very much rather.  Then again, we would very, very, very much rather our coaching staff not make things worse before the healing begins.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Stefon Lefors, Brett Basanez, Tony Pike, Brian St. Pierre, David Carr, Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen. The list goes on.

It's easier said than done finding that QB you seek.

It only took a 2-14 season, and a hell of a lot of luck. You also forgot Vinny Testaverde.

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't think everybody does.  The point is to be prepared to play games while he heals, if that takes longer than the offseason, and realize he may not come back.

On balance, I think most of us would much rather he come back strong rather than being part of our history.  Very, very, very much rather.  Then again, we would very, very, very much rather our coaching staff not make things worse before the healing begins.

Taking a quarterback that looks this bad in college isn't going to pan out. I would rather sign someone off the street, and pick someone next off-season, and probably the off-season after that, and then the next off-season after that most likely too. Drafting a first round quarterback usually means you're going to be committed to that quarterback for several years, to see if they develop. We were lucky that after picking Jimmy Clausen the team decided to practically tank the 2010 season, and ended up with the first overall pick, with Cam sitting there. That's rare, usually a team picks a  bad quarterback in the first round, and then goes 6-10 or so for a few years before bottoming out.

25 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Moton disappointed me last night.  Not sure he is a LT now....Change my mind

If I were you, I’d consider a body of work vs. one game evaluating a player.

That said, Moton is a solid olineman but I’d rather find a legitimate NFL left tackle and pay the money for it (ex Whitworth). It won’t be easy.

Archived