• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Couple more observations

Jeremy Igo

Guys like Kyle Love and Mike Adams were making plays earlier on in the season against the Giants but due to age have shown they can't play a 16 game schedule and they showed signs last year.

What bothers me the most is that we comfortable maintaining the status quo and hoping that guys on the wrong side of 30 would still be productive. Look at what Seattle has done. They moved on from Sherman, Michael Bennett, and Kam Chancellor, yet with their young defense held Vikings to 7 points.

This is why I want Rivera and Hurney gone because they anticipate potential problems down the road, they only react to when its ESRD or Stage IV cancer. There is nothing that can be done this season to save this defense. We haven't developed Gaulden or Haynes and we promoted from within. 

12 minutes ago, leoslayer said:

TFL on a run play is usually the product of stunt or scheme.

Most schemes want the lineman to work flat down the line of scrimmage no more than half yard across the los.

If you get too deep and don't get home it opens a huge cutting lane and allows the G to just seal you without having to work.

In the above play we have a wam block on Poe with the guard getting to the second level.

Luke does a bad job reading this and doesn't cross the guards face quick enough.

I would actually prefer Poe squat on it a touch more.

Source I was a D1 LB/SPR

Can we hire the Rams' DC then? Because he must be cooking up the greatest DL shemes in the history football with the way Aaron Donald is playing. I don't discount the importance of scheme, but I think you're discounting the inpact of good players playing with high effort level. Poe did okay on that play occupying blockers and holding his ground. Love just got straight worked. Shaq got pretty obviously held and that was key to springing that play. Adams did a great job of tackling air.

39 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

Guys like Kyle Love and Mike Adams were making plays earlier on in the season against the Giants but due to age have shown they can't play a 16 game schedule and they showed signs last year.

What bothers me the most is that we comfortable maintaining the status quo and hoping that guys on the wrong side of 30 would still be productive. Look at what Seattle has done. They moved on from Sherman, Michael Bennett, and Kam Chancellor, yet with their young defense held Vikings to 7 points.

This is why I want Rivera and Hurney gone because they anticipate potential problems down the road, they only react to when its ESRD or Stage IV cancer. There is nothing that can be done this season to save this defense. We haven't developed Gaulden or Haynes and we promoted from within. 

Problem is you cant replace everyone.  And we did draft guys like Gaulden to replace Adams.  He just isnt ready to start. Look at how many injuries we have had in the secondary which is the biggest issue.  Hurney did his best to replace guys and shore things up.  But you can only do so much in one offseason when there are so many holes to fill.

2 hours ago, leoslayer said:

TFL on a run play is usually the product of stunt or scheme.

Most schemes want the lineman to work flat down the line of scrimmage no more than half yard across the los.

If you get too deep and don't get home it opens a huge cutting lane and allows the G to just seal you without having to work.

In the above play we have a wam block on Poe with the guard getting to the second level.

Luke does a bad job reading this and doesn't cross the guards face quick enough.

I would actually prefer Poe squat on it a touch more.

Source I was a D1 LB/SPR

There's no wham block on this play.

1 hour ago, leoslayer said:

You can scheme to have one gap penetrating 3s. But it's high risk high reward and kinda leaves the Mike on an island.

Personally I prefer a two gap scheme. With specific run stunts mixed in. I don't watch the Rams enough but maybe you are just catching it when they do it.

I think it's way more consistent.

If love squats there the play probably gets no more than 3 yards.

If you want to run a one gap scheme you have to have the guys to do it. KK could. 

The Rams are bottom third of the league in rushing defense. They have played with a lead for much of the year. Their DTs are teeing off with little concern of a run. 

Archived