• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Couple observations

Jeremy Igo

I’ve followed this team on an in-depth (read: every game) basis since 2001. I’ve never seen less effort. In 2001, we had a rookie QB and a Swiss-cheese defense. In 2010, we had a rookie QB and a mediocre, injury-riddled defense who was kept on the field too long. 

In 2018, we have Luke, Jackson, TD, Pep, Cam, CMC, Moore and Samuel. Everyone else quit. Olsen is on IR but I still feel like he was one of our five best players last week. 

This team doesn’t lack talent. They lack heart and effort, both of which are cues taken from a lethargic coaching staff just waiting for Black Monday. I bet you Rivera has already ID’d where he wants he and Washington to go next year. 

He sure as hell hasn’t put together a game plan since Week 10. For those who watched in 2001, tell me a difference between Rivera and Seifert (aside from age and hair color). 

If players aren’t giving their all in a playoff race, they have to own that on film. We can blame coaching for a lot of things—effort can’t be taught.

Motivation? Ok, sure. Maybe they’re not “properly motivated”. But this is a veteran unit, there are no excuses for a lack of effort. And that’s on the players.

Just now, trueblade said:

The sad thing is average is an upgrade over what we had prior to that signing.

If we just had replacement-level safeties on both sides, Jackson would be in the Pro Bowl. He gets toasted some, but unlike most of his teammates and coaches, he dusts himself off and tries again 

if at first you don’t succeed 

I liked the Searcy signing, but who knows. 

There’s just not enough skill out there. Jackson makes rookie mistakes, Bradberry has had one great game this year, the safeties are grandmothers on rollerblades, and the DL doesn’t get to the spot.

It’s a miracle we don’t allow 35 a game. 

2 minutes ago, je1005 said:

I liked the Searcy signing, but who knows. 

There’s just not enough skill out there. Jackson makes rookie mistakes, Bradberry has had one great game this year, the safeties are grandmothers on rollerblades, and the DL doesn’t get to the spot.

It’s a miracle we don’t allow 35 a game. 

Well once we lose 73-13 on Monday, that’ll beef up the average. God damn those missed opportunities

25 minutes ago, je1005 said:

To be fair, players shouldn’t have to rely on a damn coach to know how to hustle. They’re grown-ass men who do this for a living. 

I agree, but the coach does have the responsibility to motivate them to hustle. When you are tired, embarrassed, etc. what is your reaction?  That is where coaching comes in. These are athletes who have had tremendous success in life--worshipped in their hometowns--given privilege and praise--head coaches know that describes the client.

This is why I say character matters.  People without character feel entitled, take short cuts, etc.  instead of paying their dues and earning respect.  Luke is what we need--an overachieving, smart (dedication) player vs. a player like Funchess---hard to explain, but I  take heart over ego any day.

14 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

If we just had replacement-level safeties on both sides, Jackson would be in the Pro Bowl. He gets toasted some, but unlike most of his teammates and coaches, he dusts himself off and tries again 

if at first you don’t succeed 

His teammates also dont help him by being out of position and he has to cover it up. Adams was lost the entire games against browns. 

Archived