• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera's Biggest Failure - Too Little, Too Late

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

He could have put his foot down, he didn't.  He also said he didn't want to be that type of GM...and he wasn't.

I can't imagine he's changed his stripes that much.

Logic 201.

Depends. By not putting his foot down may have contributed to his firing. Plus he had no problem rebuffing Richardson about Davis and Olsen. Getting fired does change you.

Reality 101

2 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

he could absolutely believe Shula would be useful in a diminished role, which is all he's doing in NY. That's Shurmur's offense up there. 

Shula was brought in the same way JStew was: just to help them transition.

Plus, that last name, the Maras, etc

Agreed. He may have liked the way he handled Cam and the plays he designed. Hard to know really. Don't know how diminished it is given 90% of the work of a coordinator is finished before Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Depends. By not putting his foot down may have contributed to his firing. Plus he had no problem rebuffing Richardson about Davis and Olsen. Getting fired does change you.

Reality 101

That's not reality, thats your opinion.

He firmly stated when he got here that he wanted Ron to make coaching decisions, and he would make personnel decisions.

Olsen and Davis are players, not coaches.

Shula is a coach not a player.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rivera finally made a decision that should have been made long before that because he knew his job could be in jeopardy with a new owner taking the reins.

Ass Saving 101

There is always a process when you demote or fire someone especially a hire in a different position. Not overreacting is the norm not the exception. The NFL is simply a pressure cooker where you don't get much time to.succeed or fail.

11 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

That's not reality, thats your opinion.

He firmly stated when he got here that he wanted Ron to make coaching decisions, and he would make personnel decisions.

Olsen and Davis are players, not coaches.

Shula is a coach not a player.

When he got was 6 years ago. You don't think things can change in 6 years? True one was a coach and others were players. But if you can tell your boss no and get fired for it, you don't have a problem doing what you want to regardless of the consequences or the corporate structure of where you work. Plus let's not assume you are expressing anything more than speculation about what went down unless you were there or had an inside source.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

When he got was 6 years ago. You don't think things can change in 6 years? True one was a coach and others were players. But if you can tell your boss no and get fired for it, you don't have a problem doing what you want to regardless of the consequences or the corporate structure of where you work.

I can only go off of what he said, and how he wanted to manage.

You are guessing, theorizing if you will.  I'm taking the man at his word.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

I can only go off of what he said, and how he wanted to manage.

You are guessing, theorizing if you will.  I'm taking the man at his word.

You are only going off speculation based on a presser give years earlier when he was stating intentions. You really think the coaches and GMs tell the whole picture to the press? Are you really that naive?

18 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You are only going off speculation based on a presser give years earlier when he was stating intentions. You really think the coaches and GMs tell the whole picture to the press? Are you really that naive?

Do you have one shred of proof that DG hired Shula?

If not, I'll continue to assume that he was hired by Shurmur, like most assistants and coordinators are in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's a pretty good analysis, and I think it extends to players also.

Rivera has always loved "try hard" players. That's honorable, but sometimes those guys may give it all the effort in the world and still just not be good enough.

It might suck to elevate the more talented a--hole over the good guy who's giving it his best, but if your primary goal is to win games, sometimes you have to do that.

Just ask Sean Connery.

(Language warning for the faint of heart... )

Ron doesn’t react until his job is on the line. This defense has struggled all year but we were lucky and won some games. When the Steelers beat us Ron should have taken over the defense but because there was no threat to his job he didn’t. Funny that Tepper’s old team could be the reason he gets fired

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

The same as head coaches fire coordinators. But if it relevant that Gettleman told Rivera to fire Shula then it is just as likely he told Shurmur to hire Shula.

Logic 101

Holy poo, what you just said is the very OPPOSITE of logic.

"Manager A told Coach B to fire Coordinator C, ergo Manager A told Coach D to hire Coordinator C" makes absolutely ZERO logical sense.

I think your Logic 101 instructor wasn't very good.  I would suggest taking the course with a different instructor.

52 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Holy poo, what you just said is the very OPPOSITE of logic.

"Manager A told Coach B to fire Coordinator C, ergo Manager A told Coach D to hire Coordinator C" makes absolutely ZERO logical sense.

I think your Logic 101 instructor wasn't very good.  I would suggest taking the course with a different instructor.

What he is saying is without knowing the values of B or D, it could be either B or D.

Logic 201

Archived