• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera's Biggest Failure - Too Little, Too Late

Jeremy Igo

Everyone remember just after the Pittsburgh game when the entire Huddle was calling for Eric Washington's firing and for Ron Rivera to take over play calling? The worst defensive performance in nearly two decades and zero action was taken afterwards. 

Fast forward a month, and the moves the fans called for was exactly what was needed to improve the defense as evidenced in Tampa Bay. A month, and entire month. The Panthers lost 3 more games in that span while the defense continued to look like a shell of its former self. 

If the fans recognized this all season long, why on earth did it take Ron Rivera until December? 

He either could not recognize what every casual fan could see, or he was not capable of making the tough decisions that head coaches must make. Either way, it ain't great news. Neither a great look for a head coach. 

In my opinion, this will go down as the biggest failure of the 2018 season and likely will cost Ron his job. 

I think Rivera can actually be a lot like Jerry Richardson when it comes to some of his personnel decisions.

Richardson made decisions based on who he liked, not who was actually best for the job.

Anybody really believe Richard Rodgers was our best option for a secondary coach?

The fact that Rivera is willing to make coaching and personnel decisions to protect his friends rather than do what's best for the team is one of the clearest signs that he needs to go.

I have a theory why it always seemed like it took Ron way longer to make changes and understand things the fans see as obvious. 

An 8 season NFL career and another 10+ of college, high school, and peewee football has left Ron Rivera with brain damage. It took him 8 different interviews to get a head coaching job. Those 7 other teams obviously didn’t like what they saw in Rivera enough to hire him as their head coach. But Richardson, another former NFL player with his own litany of issues, liked that he was a former NFL player. 

Ron seems like a great person outside of football and a knowledgeable enough defensive coach. He delivered some great success to the Panthers. But one thing he’s NEVER been is sharp, quick, or witty. And in times of turmoil it always seems to take him way too long to realize he needs to change something. Looks like that will be his downfall.

One of the reasons why I'm looking so much at Dan Campbell right now is that people who talk to him come away saying that he's very, very smart.

I don't think Rivera is.

Mind you, he's got a great defensive mind. He understands super complicated concepts and can rattle off things like coverage responsibilities easily.

So what's the evidence that he's not "smart"?

His decision making.

Marty Mornhinweg is a guy who knows the complicated West Coast Offense backward and forward. But as a head coach with the Lions, under the old OT system (which was pure "sudden death") he once won a coin toss and elected to go on defense first. Predictably, the other team scored and won the game. Mornhinweg later explained his decision as being something about "setting the tone" :thinking:

Mind you, I don't believe Rivera is that dumb, but he's done enough things that I think it's reasonable to question his judgment.

I want a head coach who doesn't do dumb things.

6 minutes ago, raz said:

isn't he the guy that went all iamverybadass when he got a shot with the dolphins?  the guy who went all meathead?

You in the right thread? :thinking:

Oh sorry, you meant Campbell. I thought you were talking about Jeff Ireland for a second.

Recommended reading: A matter of when - Dan Campbell on deck for a real shot at an NFL head coaching job

To me, it's his methodology that was at fault.

For example, take Eric Washington.  He wanted EW to have an opportunity to become a DC.  Fine.  There were a number of smarter ways to go about getting him there.

Option 1:  Name him DC.  For the first 8 games of the season, Ron actually calls the defense and focuses his efforts there while slowly bringing EW into the role.  This allows a slow growth instead of dropping someone who has never been a DC at any level into the job at the highest level possible.

Option 2:  Hire a DC.  Name EW Assistant Head Coach / Defense.  Just like he did with Steve Wilkes.  EW gets an opportunity to separate himself from the daily duties on the DL, and start to learn the DC role without the pressure of calling games.

It's not that Ron has bad ideas, he simple executes his ideas poorly in a number of situations.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One of the reasons why I'm looking so much at Dan Campbell right now is that people who talk to him come away saying that he's very, very smart.

I don't think Rivera is.

Mind you, he's got a great defensive mind. He understands super complicated concepts and can rattle off things like coverage responsibilities easily.

So what's the evidence that he's not "smart"?

His decision making.

Marty Mornhinweg is a guy who knows the complicated West Coast Offense backward and forward. But as a head coach with the Lions, under the old OT system (which was pure "sudden death") he once won a coin toss and elected to go on defense first. Predictably, the other team scored and won the game. Mornhinweg later explained his decision as being something about "setting the tone" :thinking:

Mind you, I don't believe Rivera is that dumb, but he's done enough things that I think it's reasonable to question his judgment.

I want a head coach who doesn't do dumb things.

I never want a former NFL player as a head coach again. Too much brain damage 

yeah, dan campbell is the guy who went all macho meathead when he got his shot.  i saw that article when i googled him to make sure it was him.   i'm not saying he can't grow from what happened, but he was pretty crazy when he got his shot.  looked and sounded all roided up.    

Just now, raz said:

yeah, dan campbell is the guy who went all macho meathead when he got his shot.  i saw that article when i googled him to make sure it was him.   i'm not saying he can't grow from what happened, but he was pretty crazy when he got his shot.  looked and sounded all roided up.    

He's Payton's assistant head coach now. Reading his story and watching interviews of him definitely doesn't make me think "meathead".

The coaching prospect who's giving me the most pause right now is actually DeFilippo. I'm having Rob Chudzinski flashbacks with him.

Whether it’s coaching or any other job in life, if you make your decisions based on keeping friends around, when the poo hits the fan those friends disappear and they certainly can’t save your ass. 

I’m afraid Ron will learn this lesson soon.  

Ron sees himself in all of his coaches. He felt all he needed was a chance or a shot, and he’s going to give his staff that same opportunity, and make sure they’re not done the way he felt he was done. 

This works if your crew is good. If not, you got what’s happening now. Eric Washington wasn’t ready to be a DC. It will be EW, his defensive staff, and Ron’s inability to notice the weak link sooner that will cost him. 

Archived