• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL's top run defenses on first downs... guess who is on the list?

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Our biggest problem is giving up first down on 3rd and long. I blame our soft coverage and missed tackles.

This. This. This. 

I'm not too keen on the soft coverage. But if you're going to play soft coverage and let stuff happen underneath. YOU. HAVE. TO. TACKLE. Otherwise you're just giving up free yards. 

With our poo tackling it makes more sense to play tight coverage. Yea we'll get burned some but we force the QB to make a great throw on 3rd and long versus a wide open dink and dunk that goes for 18 yards 

15 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Our biggest problem is giving up first down on 3rd and long. I blame our soft coverage and missed tackles.

Not even third and long, just 3rd down. The Panthers defense has absolutely sucked sh!t out of a dick the last two weeks on 3rd down. I added one 4th down for how critical a failure it was. How Eric Washington didn't get fired, we'll never know.

Seattle Game:

5th Seattle possession: 3rd and 4 from their own 31. Gave up a 27 yard pass to Tyler Lockett. Drive ended in a TD to tie the score 10-10

6th Seattle possession: 3rd and 12 from their own 33. Gave up a 54 yard pass to David Moore. Drive ended in a TD to take the lead 17-13.

8th Seattle possession: 4th and 3 from the Carolina 35. Gave up a 35 yard TD pass to David Moore to tie the game 27-27.

Tampa Game:

1st Tampa possession: 3rd and 2 from their own 44. Gave up a 10 yard completion to Chris Godwin. Drive ended in a TD for a 7-0 lead.

4th Tampa possession: 3rd and 4 from the Carolina 19. Gave up a 13 yard pass to Adam Humphries. Drive ended with a fumble through the end zone (luckiest moment of the game for the Panthers). Game should have been 17-7, remained 10-7 Bucs.

6th Tampa possession: 3rd and 11 from the Carolina 13. 13 yard TD pass to Chris Godwin made the score 17-7.

7th Tampa possession: 3rd and 11 from their own 39. Gave up an 18 yard pass to Chris Godwin. Drive ended in a TD for a 24-10 Tampa lead that they would never relinquish.

8th Tampa possession: 3rd and 17 from their own 18. Give up an 18 yard pass to Cameron Brate. Drive ended in a punt, but gave up valuable field position by giving up a huge third and long.

Limit the scope with enough qualifiers and you can make just about anything look good.

"Matt Kalil has never given up a sack on second down in January while playing on a natural grass field in a non-domed stadium against an opponent from the AFC East."

(I don't actually know if that's true but it's an example of what I'm talking about)

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Limit the scope with enough qualifiers and you can make just about anything look good.

"Matt Kalil has never given up a sack on second down in January while playing on a natural grass field in a non-domed stadium against an opponent from the AFC East."

(I don't actually know if that's true but it's an example of what I'm talking about)

What do you think your hyperbolic analogy contributes to this thread? Did you get your degree in False Equivalencies from Trump University?

Rush defense on 1st down has exactly one  qualifier (hint: I put it in bold for you). The point of looking at this specific stat is to look at what teams are potentially putting their defenses in good position on 2nd/3rd down, as explicitly stated in the tweet.

Archived