• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera officially taking over the defense.

Jeremy Igo

This is the only play for Rivera to save his job, and I'm thinking Tepper let him know that.

Rivera taking over the defense and salvaging the playoffs?  Tepper keeps him, and he's constantly on the hot seat next year.  He'll also be required to bring back/bring in a competent DC next year. 

I literally cannot believe that Ron thought a billion dollar business was a good place for Eric Washington to learn on the job

AND ADMITED he needed help in the press conference today if he wanted to make him assistant and bring in a real coordinator that’s One thing 

I swear to god that is one huge gamble to take with money that was not his 

I am pissed 

he needs to be shown the door because he is an idiot. Nothing more. Nothing less 

I mean Was there no one who said ‘ahhh this might not be a good idea’

RR taking over the defense is not going to stop the Saints from destroying us.

But let's say RR calls a masterpiece of 2 games against the Saints and we sweep them and beat the Falcons as well? We'd know for certain that this dumpster fire was all Washington's fault.

Albert Breer on Panthers:

1. Panthers coach Ron Rivera’s decision to strip defensive coordinator Eric Washington of play-calling is significant. Rivera has always believed in giving his DC power, despite his own experience in running defenses. It was afforded to Sean McDermott over his six years in Charlotte, and Steve Wilks in his year succeeding McDermott before going to Arizona.

“For the most part, I try to give these guys autonomy to coach it and call it the way they see it,” Rivera told me after the Panthers’ season-opening win. “I did work with Sean very closely, and Sean and I had a relationship, we worked together in Philadelphia. And then bringing Steve in and having Steve around, Steve and I worked in Chicago and San Diego together. Eric was actually my intern the year we went to the Super Bowl in 2006, when I was with the Bears. So I had tremendous background with Eric, and he’s been with us through the whole program.”

Rivera veering from that should tell you that, beyond just the dip in production, Carolina is struggling to find itself defensively. The lack of an edge rush or much depth at corner hasn’t helped, either.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/03/nfl-news-notes-rumors-week-13-ron-rivers-sam-darnold-joey-bosa

13 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

Jesus man. He does this now when we're basically out of the race. Just the reason he should be fired also.

The NFC is filled with .500 teams battling for the wildcard spot.  Rivera is going to have to win out to even give us a chance.  3 of 4 might do it but anything less and we're done.  

Honestly I don't see it happening unless we beat Cleveland on the road where we are O-fer, N.O. and Atlanta at home, and N.O. rests their starters in week 17

IMO if we beat NO at home there is no way Payton allows us to come into NO and walk out with a Win no matter what their playoff position is.

16 hours ago, pantherj said:

But let's say RR calls a masterpiece of 2 games against the Saints and we sweep them and beat the Falcons as well? We'd know for certain that this dumpster fire was all Washington's fault.

Said this elsewhere, but I don't think that helps Ron's cause. All it does is reinforce the idea Rivera made a mistake in promoting Washington rather than bringing in someone more capable from the outside and that he's is too slow to make needed changes. 

Archived