• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera officially taking over the defense.

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

It's a matter of pride. Unless you work in politics, you don't accept the public humiliation of being demoted once you've reached the peak of your profession. Rivera, and any head coach with a bit of self-respect, would quit first. Also, imagine being the new head coach with a guy that was head coach here for 8 years standing right behind you. It just would never work.

Worked for Josh McDaniels. Of course he had a couple stints in between, but he came crawling back to be the OC in New England with his tail between his legs. I guess it could happen, but he's gotta make a name for himself elsewhere first.

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

THIS.

The PI was complete horsecrap.  The receiver fell the (*&@ down trying to turn his hips around.  Donte has every right to be pissed over that call.  Take that call away and that first drive was a punt as well, and frankly the complexion of the remainder of the game is totally different.

Our defense looked like - gasp - an actual NFL defense for the second half of that game.  Luke looked like, well, Luke again.  It's four games too late, but it does show that the vast majority of our problems are on the coaches, not the players.

There's definitely truth in this, but most of the team has already packed it in and quit. I'd hate to have to name the guys who haven't, because it'd be a short list.

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

Worked for Josh McDaniels. Of course he had a couple stints in between, but he came crawling back to be the OC in New England with his tail between his legs. I guess it could happen, but he's gotta make a name for himself elsewhere first.

He went back to being a coordinator in New England though, NOT in Denver.

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

I bet we win 0 of the next 4 and Rivera is the first coach axed after Week 17. This ain't 2012.

oh I hope he's fired and I wouldn't mind going 0-4 the rest of the season. That's just not how Rivera works though. He's always more aware and a much better coach when his job is on the line and right now after today, we can all agree his job is on the line. 

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

oh I hope he's fired and I wouldn't mind going 0-4 the rest of the season. That's just not how Rivera works though. He's always more aware and a much better coach when his job is on the line and right now after today, we can all agree his job is on the line. 

True, but Fox was the same way -- until 2010. This is Rivera's 2010.

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Ron Rivera will be calling plays. Eric Washington is managing the front seven.

Again, why did it take this long?

Because Ron had grown accustomed to the job security and mediocre results that JR granted him, so he had no urgency to chnage anything until he realized Tepper was on his ass.

57 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

TB had 5 drives after Rivera took over at halftime. The results:

Drive 1: touchdown

Drive 2: punt

Drive 3: 3 and out punt

Drive 4: 3 and out punt

Drive 5: 3 and out punt

They looked bad on that first drive, but you could make the case that the rest of the game was the best our D has looked all year.

It felt like in the 4th quarter we were giving up 3rd and 17 3rd and 11 or am i imagining things is this PTS? i had quit watching, heard on radio.

1 hour ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

They looked bad on that first drive, but you could make the case that the rest of the game was the best our D has looked all year. 

Tampa was also ahead. I would not put too much stock into the D changing that much. Teams are still going to pick on Captain and Jackson. Teams will keep forcing us into Nickle packages (thought that is our Base really), which removes Shaq or Davis and puts Captain in. Until Captain or Jackson play better  or the DLine gets pressure not a lot will change. It would be nice to see those f*%king 15 yards off the line reduced to 5! That could make a difference.

1 hour ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

Rivera should have done it long time ago. Let’s see if the team can get back on track. I doubt Tepper get rids of Rivera until 1 more full season of evaluation.

Archived