• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera officially taking over the defense.

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Feels like those guys were fired to male.room.for Washington's demotion, which could be a difference maker.

That might make sense for Hoke since Washington is taking the front seven.  Doesn't explain Imamura though.

Frankly, all of this screams "scapegoat" to me.

2 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

TB had 5 drives after Rivera took over at halftime. The results:

Drive 1: touchdown

Drive 2: punt

Drive 3: 3 and out punt

Drive 4: 3 and out punt

Drive 5: 3 and out punt

They looked bad on that first drive, but you could make the case that the rest of the game was the best our D has looked all year.

The touchdown was the direct result of that bullshit PI on Donte. That was an incomplete pass on 3rd down and would've been a punt. Rivera's D in the 2nd actually played amazing. It's a bummer this didn't happen after PIT because we could actually have some hope if it did.

1 minute ago, Actionman0z said:

Him and Richard Rodgers both are trash, and you bet it impacts what we are doing back there with a few rookies and a 2nd year dude. 

Richard Rodgers still has his job.  Rivera would probably cut off his own arm before firing him.

2 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

They looked bad on that first drive, but you could make the case that the rest of the game was the best our D has looked all year.

Ron= great DC

Ron = not great HC

Just now, t96 said:

The touchdown was the direct result of that bullshit PI on Donte. That was an incomplete pass on 3rd down and would've been a punt. Rivera's D in the 2nd actually played amazing. It's a bummer this didn't happen after PIT because we could actually have some hope if it did.

I forgot, but you're exactly right. That TD should have a giant asterisk by it.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That might make sense for Hoke since Washington is taking the front seven.  Doesn't explain Imamura though.

Frankly, all of this screams "scapegoat" to me.

Paying Washington DC money to be a single positions coach?

I doubt that would fly with Tepper.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Paying Washington DC money to be a single positions coach?

I doubt that would fly with Tepper.

Will firing the assistant secondary coach but not the secondary coach fly though?

And really, we're just talking about four games.

12 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

that's amazing

Okay, serious question, because it's been a personal wet dream of mine for 3 of 4 years now:

Is there any precedent in the NFL for a HC getting demoted to DC? Or once you lose the job as skipper, do most guys usually bounce/get bounced?

Ron Rivera as DC of the Panthers is about the best case scenario I could hope for the Panthers next season.

Just now, Captroop said:

Okay, serious question, because it's been a personal wet dream of mine for 3 of 4 years now:

Is there any precedent in the NFL for a HC getting demoted to DC? Or once you lose the job as skipper, do most guys usually bounce/get bounced?

Ron Rivera as DC of the Panthers is about the best case scenario I could hope for the Panthers next season.

It's a matter of pride. Unless you work in politics, you don't accept the public humiliation of being demoted once you've reached the peak of your profession. Rivera, and any head coach with a bit of self-respect, would quit first. Also, imagine being the new head coach with a guy that was head coach here for 8 years standing right behind you. It just would never work.

24 minutes ago, t96 said:

THIS.

The PI was complete horsecrap.  The receiver fell the (*&@ down trying to turn his hips around.  Donte has every right to be pissed over that call.  Take that call away and that first drive was a punt as well, and frankly the complexion of the remainder of the game is totally different.

Our defense looked like - gasp - an actual NFL defense for the second half of that game.  Luke looked like, well, Luke again.  It's four games too late, but it does show that the vast majority of our problems are on the coaches, not the players.

Archived