• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman was fired for not wanting to sign Olsen and Davis beyond this season

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Mr. Scot, Gettleman made good short term moves (free agency) that helped the Panthers to compete. 

His drafting largely left much to be desired, and it's the primary reason the Panthers are so untalented in the front seven right now. 

He also submarined the Panthers cap space with that Matt Kalil signing, which kinda negates any good will he garnered from getting them out of cap hell. 

Results aside, I think Gettleman is a net negative. 

I can partially agree with that analysis.

Kalil was a disaster. I do think it's possible there was pressure to sign him, but it doesn't matter. The GM is still the one who makes that decision.

I wasn't a fan of the Butler pick, but the Bradberry pick was good. And the 2017 draft is looking like an absolute home run right now. Would love to have seen what another offseason building on that could have been, but oh well...

As I've said before, the bottom line for me is that we won when he was in charge. Now we're not.

I'm ready for whoever's next.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wasn't a fan of the Butler pick, but the Bradberry pick was good. And the 2017 draft is looking like an absolute home run right now. Would love to have seen what another offseason building on that could have been, but oh well...

As I've said before, the bottom line for me is that we won when he was in charge. Now we're not.

2014 tho

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can partially agree with that analysis.

Kalil was a disaster. I do think it's possible there was pressure to sign him, but it doesn't matter. The GM is still the one who makes that decision.

Gettleman 2018 offseason:

Activate KB's option, re-sign Norwell and Star, draft a LB in the first to replace Davis.

Starting WRs would be KB, Funch, Samuel

Starting cbs would be Bradberry and Worley.

19 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Do you guys think the Giants will get lucky or will they be in quarterback purgatory for the next several years?

Or maybe they'll get a once-in-a-lifetime QB and Gettleman will piece together a shitty line from his bargain bin to cut his career by a third.

20 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

The only times we were good under Dave was when his FA dumpster dives worked out, which was about every other year.

Which would still be far more consistent than Hurney.

Look up their respective winning percentages if you don't believe me.

yup. said it repeatedly back then but JR want to be buddy buddy with the players.

Gettleman certainly made mistakes: the Norman tag, Vernon Butler, Kalil contract, etc but for the most part he built a damn good defense and added solid pieces to a team almost completely devoid of talent despite spending almost his entire tenure in the worst salary cap hell i've ever seen a team be in.

if you want to build a consistent contender you have to be willing to cut a player a year early instead of holding onto them for too long. TD and Olsen had no leverage whatsoever but feelings got involved and now we've overpaid both of them to do nothing for the past 2 season. I know people love TD around here but he is god awful in pass coverage and has absolutely lost a step the past couple seasons.

Gettleman made some good moves as well: KK, Star, Trai, Shaq, Daryl, CMC, Samuel, and Moton, not to mention some solid FA pickups while working the the limited cap space we had at the time.

33 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Yeah, Matt Kalil was an amazing acquisition. So was the Andy Lee, only cost a fourth rounder for half a season. The 2014 defensive backs, and receivers he signed were awesome too. The guy had just as many, if not more, misses as hits in free agency.

It's funny, but Andy Lee has been awesome this year.

34 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

if you guys spent half the time scrutinizing and overanalyzing every other team’s draft picks and FA acquisitions, DG doesn’t look like such a bad GM after all. but you guys needed to believe he was awful bc your favorite players don’t like him or whatever so you threw every half assed contrived argument at the wall against him to convince yourselves that JR kicked him out over something that had nothing to do with JR’s meddling ego.

4 games in a row blown. i hate it for the players but i love it for all the smug motherfugers that thought that all our problems could be solved by running the asshole yankee out of town.

What I get a chuckle out of is guys bending over backwards to try to talk about anything and everything except winning :)

No matter how you wanna spin it, Gettleman's tenure here is the most successful period in team history. There's just no getting around that, but we have loads of butthurt people giving it their all.

It's kinda fun to watch at least, sort of like fail videos.

In the end though, the bottom line is it's time to move on to whomever's next and hope they can be even more successful than Gettleman was.

I'd add more successful than Hurney too, but that's a far lower standard.

4 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

the draft i mean

those chickens are coming home to roost now

Oh gotcha.

I look at it a lot like New England though. I see them having lousy drafts a fair amount of the time, yet somehow they win. Bad drafts certainly make it harder, but apparently not impossible.

I'm kinda hoping if we wind up with Omar Khan that he also manages to hide a couple of Steelers scouting and personnel people under his coat on the way out the door.

Archived