• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman was fired for not wanting to sign Olsen and Davis beyond this season

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Hurney 1.0 and Gettleman weren't the answer.

Hurney 2.0 isn't either.

It is past time to move on from these two GM's and look forward to Tepper putting his mark on this franchise.

The past is the past and there's no changing it.

The only thing that really matters is what we so next.

if you guys spent half the time scrutinizing and overanalyzing every other team’s draft picks and FA acquisitions, DG doesn’t look like such a bad GM after all. but you guys needed to believe he was awful bc your favorite players don’t like him or whatever so you threw every half assed contrived argument at the wall against him to convince yourselves that JR kicked him out over something that had nothing to do with JR’s meddling ego.

4 games in a row blown. i hate it for the players but i love it for all the smug motherfugers that thought that all our problems could be solved by running the asshole yankee out of town.

Mr. Scot, Gettleman made good short term moves (free agency) that helped the Panthers to compete. 

His drafting largely left much to be desired, and it's the primary reason the Panthers are so untalented in the front seven right now. 

He also submarined the Panthers cap space with that Matt Kalil signing, which kinda negates any good will he garnered from getting them out of cap hell. 

Results aside, I think Gettleman is a net negative. 

2 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

if you guys spent half the time scrutinizing and overanalyzing every other team’s draft picks and FA acquisitions, DG doesn’t look like such a bad GM after all. but you guys needed to believe he was awful bc your favorite players don’t like him or whatever so you threw every half assed contrived argument at the wall against him to convince yourselves that JR kicked him out over something that had nothing to do with JR’s meddling ego.

4 games in a row blown. i hate it for the players but i love it for all the smug motherfugers that thought that all our problems could be solved by running the asshole yankee out of town.

After all the analysis, he still looks BAD !

1 minute ago, frash.exe said:

Yeah, Matt Kalil was an amazing acquisition. So was the Andy Lee, only cost a fourth rounder for half a season. The 2014 defensive backs, and receivers he signed were awesome too. The guy had just as many, if not more, misses as hits in free agency.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's the problem.

This is obviously an emotional thing for you. It's not for me. I'm very pragmatic about my team. That's why I understand things like how sometimes well-loved players have to be let go.

It's all about winning.

Gettleman/Rivera won.

Hurney/Rivera doesn't.

It's a shame because they're both great people. I especially hate it for Ron because he's truly one of the good guys.

But it's a business, and one where when you don't win, you don't stay employed.

That's just reality. If you can't do me like that, maybe you need to find a less competitive sport.

This is anything but an emotional thing for me, but it's pretty obvious to everyone that it is for you. I gave Gettleman his due. I gave him time. But as time went on, it became painfully clear to now ludicrously crystal clear that his suspect---somewhat nonsensical---moves and philosophy of team building were bankrupt. He will never get the job complete thinking and drafting the way that he does, because it leads to holes and imbalances on the roster. It's that simple for me. The only reason why I have engaged in a long, drawn-out discussion is because you responded to me. The thread was supposedly about how Gettleman was fired for not wanting to re-sign Greg or TD. That's ludicrous. Moreover, we're losing because of Olsen and TD? It's a red herring. Our problems go much deeper than that and are in many ways tied to Gettleman, and not because of how good that he was, or because he is a good guy. It's that simple.

22 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Didn’t say that. This forum has a real issue with judging GMs on solely the draft which is asinine. Gettle wasn’t brought in for long term he was brought in to manage the money which is his strength, clearly obvious by bargain hunting and creating a 15-1 team with literally ZERO resources.

Aside from that strength he was useless to us.

You're right, but a GM that squanders the draft is fairly useless after everything is said and done (especially a blowhard, know-it-all that toots his own horn as a scouting expert). That's all I'm saying.

Archived