• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman was fired for not wanting to sign Olsen and Davis beyond this season

Jeremy Igo

Just now, Krovvy said:

I feel like Matt Kalil's contract put to bed the notion that Gettleman was some kind of cap wizard. The truth is the cap went up by over 10 million per year while Gettleman was in Carolina. He also had a penchant for cutting players, even very productive ones.

Of course it went over because of Hurney and his horrendous contracts.

I’m not saying Gettle was great and we needed to move on.

If you think Matt Kalil was a Gettle move and not a JR move well you must be new.

1 minute ago, Lumps said:

If you think Matt Kalil was a Gettle move and not a JR move well you must be new.

Blame everyone but Gettleman. ROFL

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The legend of Gettleman should be dead. How any Panthers fan can crook their mouths to defend him is beyond me.

Here's the problem.

This is obviously an emotional thing for you. It's not for me. I'm very pragmatic about my team. That's why I understand things like how sometimes well-loved players have to be let go.

It's all about winning.

Gettleman/Rivera won.

Hurney/Rivera doesn't.

It's a shame because they're both great people. I especially hate it for Ron because he's truly one of the good guys.

But it's a business, and one where when you don't win, you don't stay employed.

That's just reality. If you can't do me like that, maybe you need to find a less competitive sport.

2 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Went over? The league wide cap room increased by over 10 million each year Gettleman was in Carolina. The last few years Hurney was in the building the cap stagnated, and even went down, at a time when the Panthers biggest names were needing contracts. Hurney obviously wasn't great with the cap, but neither was Gettleman. Dave signed Matt Kalil to that contract, anyone saying otherwise is just covering his ass. The man cut Steve Smith, and Josh Norman, but somehow was forced to sign Matt fuging Kalil? Yeah right.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Blame everyone but Gettleman. ROFL

Didn’t say that. This forum has a real issue with judging GMs on solely the draft which is asinine. Gettle wasn’t brought in for long term he was brought in to manage the money which is his strength, clearly obvious by bargain hunting and creating a 15-1 team with literally ZERO resources.

Aside from that strength he was useless to us.

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You using the Giants as an example on any given Sunday in the year 2018 is ludicrous to say the least.

Your love for Gettleman is far from over.

The fact that you think anybody here "loves" a GM tells me a lot.

What I love is watching my team win.

With the current leadership, that's not happening.

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Went over? The league wide cap room increased by over 10 million each year Gettleman was in Carolina. The last few years Hurney was in the building the cap stagnated, and even went down, at a time when the Panthers biggest names were needing contracts. Hurney obviously wasn't great with the cap, but neither was Gettleman. Dave signed Matt Kalil to that contract, anyone saying otherwise is just covering his ass. The man cut Steve Smith, and Josh Norman, but somehow was forced to sign Matt fuging Kalil? Yeah right.

Yes he was forced just like he was forced to resign Olsen and TD...obviously.

and yes went over...Hurney got cap happy knowing it was going up and a lot of the cap space was eaten up by back end contracts like Williams, stewand Johnson. At one point we were paying to to 20 million for Williams and stew lol.

3 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Yes he was forced just like he was forced to resign Olsen and TD...obviously.

and yes went over...Hurney got cap happy knowing it was going up and a lot of the cap space was eaten up by back end contracts like Williams, stewand Johnson. At one point we were paying to to 20 million for Williams and stew lol.

???

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's the problem.

This is obviously an emotional thing for you. It's not for me. I'm very pragmatic about my team. That's why I understand things like how sometimes well-loved players have to be let go.

It's all about winning.

Gettleman/Rivera won.

Hurney/Rivera doesn't.

It's a shame because they're both great people. I especially hate it for Ron because he's truly one of the good guys.

But it's a business, and one where when you don't win, you don't stay employed.

That's just reality. If you can't do me like that, maybe you need to find a less competitive sport.

Again: correlation does not imply causation.

Archived