• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman was fired for not wanting to sign Olsen and Davis beyond this season

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Davis has been one of the bright spots on defense, so much so I hope Shaq isn't signed this off-season and I hope they sign Davis for another season. Olsen's foot injury was a fluke, he's been healthy his entire career until last season. Olsen, up until this year, was one of Cam's only reliable targets to throw to.

Dave Gettleman tanked this team with the 2016 draft.

Fat ass ruined this team with the Norman situation

1 minute ago, ras977 said:

Yeah, maybe he isn't, 

but I'm sure he gave his best,

you are getting a high on all this-to each their own.

If you think I sound like I'm on a high, you need to work on your reading skills.

This sucks. And it sucks even harder because it didn't need to happen.

The only positive right now is that we can likely look forward to a house cleaning next season, but that's not exactly going to be a party either. We're likely in for a couple of rough transitional years even if we do get the best candidates.

But that's reality. You can whine about it or you can deal with it.

3 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Yep. The 2016 draft was about on par with the 2010 draft in terms of how awful it was.

Gentleman had one good draft in 2013. His track record is nowhere even as good as Hurney's. And that's not promoting Hurney... for all the things Richardson did wrong, getting rid of Gettleman ain't one of them

2017 wasn't a good draft?

Gettles specialty is cap management and he came in and did just that. TD and Olsen should not have been resigned and it was a good thing to let Gettle go.

Hurneys specialty is drafting while his cap management and contacts are dismal.

We need a new GM who can handle everything.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

If you think I sound like I'm on a high, you need to work on your reading skills.

This sucks. And it sucks even harder because it didn't need to happen.

The only positive right now is that we can likely look forward to a house cleaning next season, but that's not exactly going to be a party either. We're likely in for a couple of rough transitional years even if we do get the best candidates.

But that's reality. You can whine about it or you can deal with it.

Thanks for the advice--the one who can't forget that the god almighty gettleman  i.e.."fat ass" was fired.

9 minutes ago, Tomás The Boss said:

So...you actually blame Hurney for this season? Sounds like a predetermined opinion rather than sound reasoning...

Back to being your "son" again?

Prior to this year,  a Hurney fan asked me to commit to giving him full credit for this season. I said "Of course he gets full credit for this season, he's in charge".

I'm guessing they said that when they were expecting a Super Bowl year. Probably thought they were trapping me into saying something I'd regret. But that's how it works.

If we were winning, I'd say the same thing.

Just now, Lumps said:

Gettles specialty is cap management and he came in and did just that. TD and Olsen should not have been resigned and it was a good thing to let Gettle go.

Hurneys specialty is drafting while his cap management and contacts are dismal.

We need a new GM who can handle everything.

I feel like Matt Kalil's contract put to bed the notion that Gettleman was some kind of cap wizard. The truth is the cap went up by over 10 million per year while Gettleman was in Carolina. He also had a penchant for cutting players, even very productive ones.

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

I don't know but he also drafted Vernon Butler, Shaq Thompson, Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess and three terrible corners. 

This.  Extending Greg and TD to reasonable contracts would've been inconsequential.  This team sucks bc of coaching and shitty team building during the Gettleman Era.

Off the top of my head, the only real hits he had in the draft were CMC and Samuel.  Short has fell off, Trai was never great to begin with, all his corners sucked ass, Funchess sucks, Shaq is a JAG, Butler is a borderline NFL player and was a first round pick, he let an all-pro corner walk bc his ego was hurt, and he locked big money into Matt Kalil.  That is an atrocious legacy. 

In the draft, you either always have to hit on your firsts, or get enough production from the rest of the picks to equal it.  He only hit on two players and they came out of the same draft.

Archived