• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman was fired for not wanting to sign Olsen and Davis beyond this season

Jeremy Igo

The best GM in Carolina History.  He had some 1st round misses yes, but those were towards the end of the draft.  KK/Star/CMC/Turner and the starter caliber players he could bring in with UDFA were better than anything Hurney's done.  I too, feel that he was constrained into signing some bad contracts, etc Kalil jr, at the hands of JR's meddling.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

A GM's most important job is putting the puzzle together to win championships. Part of this is drafting. A BIG part! To say anything else is pretty ludicrous.

Like Belichick?

Yes, drafting is part of the puzzle. It's not all of it.

As far as that puzzle goes for us right now, Marty is playing with crayons 

Davis has been one of the bright spots on defense, so much so I hope Shaq isn't signed this off-season and I hope they sign Davis for another season. Olsen's foot injury was a fluke, he's been healthy his entire career until last season. Olsen, up until this year, was one of Cam's only reliable targets to throw to.

Dave Gettleman tanked this team with the 2016 draft.

I may be in the minority, but I think there is a good chance both are back next year, provided they play for reasonable contracts.

Julio had 2 surgeries on his foot with a similar injury to get it right... Greg may choose to retire at this point bc of the post-career options he will have, but his body has not broken down... Gronk has had many more serious injuries and he is still going.  Olsen has never had injury issues before this

And TD looks better this year than last. And that's with playing the majority of snaps bc Shaq is inconsistent 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes, Rivera getting fired is my fault. If I would have been more positive about him, maybe we would have won more.

Or maybe he's just not very good...

Yeah, maybe he isn't, 

but I'm sure he gave his best,

you are getting a high on all this-to each their own.

13 minutes ago, jimfear said:

Too bad that 15-1 season where we lost in the super bowl because we had a POS at RT can't count towards future seasons.

I'm not arguing that Hurney is a genius, I'm saying that Dave wasn't a genius either, and he made some horrible moves that are showing up right now.

We won while he was setting the roster, more consistently than at any time in team history, with Ron Rivera at head coach.

Right now, that feat looks borderline miraculous.

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Davis has been one of the bright spots on defense, so much so I hope Shaq isn't signed this off-season and I hope they sign Davis for another season. Olsen's foot injury was a fluke, he's been healthy his entire career until last season. Olsen, up until this year, was one of Cam's only reliable targets to throw to.

Dave Gettleman tanked this team with the 2016 draft.

Yep. The 2016 draft was about on par with the 2010 draft in terms of how awful it was.

Gentleman had one good draft in 2013. His track record is nowhere even as good as Hurney's. And that's not promoting Hurney... for all the things Richardson did wrong, getting rid of Gettleman ain't one of them

Archived