• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman was fired for not wanting to sign Olsen and Davis beyond this season

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, KillaCamNewton said:

TD is still a solid player. Greg had no injury history before last season. What we are seeing though is the effect of playing big dick with Josh Norman and then frantically wasting 3 draft picks trying to fill a secondary, wasting the GDP of a small country on a garbage left tackle, and doing nothing to give us a legitimate pass rusher

Hey...you forgot to mention our wasted pick at the end of the first round coming off of our 2015 Superbowl appearance....Vernon Butler.  In hindsight we'd have been better served trading that pick away and hoping to get lucky on one of the extra draft choices 

1 hour ago, Krovvy said:

Went over? The league wide cap room increased by over 10 million each year Gettleman was in Carolina. The last few years Hurney was in the building the cap stagnated, and even went down, at a time when the Panthers biggest names were needing contracts. Hurney obviously wasn't great with the cap, but neither was Gettleman. Dave signed Matt Kalil to that contract, anyone saying otherwise is just covering his ass. The man cut Steve Smith, and Josh Norman, but somehow was forced to sign Matt fuging Kalil? Yeah right.

And this is some fantastic Bullshit! How many times do you have to have this ridiculous theory proven a complete lie. 

Here’s a little math lesson once again. When EVERY team gets more money, salaries go up. There is no magic that means you get extra players or even better ones. Cam was the highest paid QB at 20M/yr in 2014-15 offseason. Now it 33M. You think WRs we’re getting 16M back then. 

And with a stagnated cap, he signed everyone to overpriced contracts. When you consider we had to eat 18M in 2013, 27M in 2014, and 15M in 2015(plus 20M to CJ so we could cut him following year). 

Beason alone had 13.3M in dead money. Plus two RBs signed to big contracts when the rest of the league wouldn’t pay one. There was a very good reason every NFL analyst described our situation as cap hell. Let’s not act like that didn’t happen. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

And this is some fantastic Bullshit! How many times do you have to have this ridiculous theory proven a complete lie. 

Here’s a little math lesson once again. When EVERY team gets more money, salaries go up. There is no magic that means you get extra players or even better ones. Cam was the highest paid QB at 20M/yr in 2014-15 offseason. Now it 33M. You think WRs we’re getting 16M back then. 

And with a stagnated cap, he signed everyone to overpriced contracts. When you consider we had to eat 18M in 2013, 27M in 2014, and 15M in 2015(plus 20M to CJ so we could cut him following year). 

Beason alone had 13.3M in dead money. Plus two RBs signed to big contracts when the rest of the league wouldn’t pay one. There was a very good reason every NFL analyst described our situation as cap hell. Let’s not act like that didn’t happen. 

Are you this stupid? The cap space of the league is independent of what the Panthers are doing with contracts.

NFL-Salary-Cap-vs-Inflation.png

I'll explain it for you. You see that big decline of the blue line after 2009? That was Hurney's last several years. Do you see the blue line go up in 2013? That's when Gettleman took over for the Panthers.

By the way, Dave Gettleman traded a fourth round pick for an ancient punter.

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Hurney had an uncapped season.

8 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Are you this stupid? The cap space of the league is independent of what the Panthers are doing with contracts.

NFL-Salary-Cap-vs-Inflation.png

I'll explain it for you. You see that big decline of the blue line after 2009? That was Hurney's last several years. Do you see the blue line go up in 2013? That's when Gettleman took over for the Panthers.

By the way, Dave Gettleman traded a fourth round pick for an ancient punter.

So you are telling me the actual cost of players has nothing to do with the salary cap? And I’m stupid. You made a pretty little chart to show that the salary cap goes up each year. Something that everyone knows. But you refuse to enter the relevant variable of average player costs to make it actually mean anything. Are you truly stating that a rise in salaries means nothing to your theory? Or does it happen to destroy it. Why doesn’t it matter?

And how about we address all that dead money? If Kalil is an issue(and he is) what about all the numbers.. 27M in one year. Hmmm.....

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

So you are telling me the actual cost of players has nothing to do with the salary cap? And I’m stupid. You made a pretty little chart to show that the salary cap goes up each year. Something that everyone knows. But you refuse to enter the relevant variable of average player costs to make it actually mean anything. Are you truly stating that a rise in salaries means nothing to your theory? Or does it happen to destroy it. Why doesn’t it matter?

And how about we address all that dead money? If Kalil is an issue(and he is) what about all the numbers.. 27M in one year. Hmmm.....

Do you think the salary cap going down helped sign players, no? Does signing several players to contracts with the understand the cap rises every year help? Then what are you arguing? Next you'll be telling me that Gettleman trading so many picks that the Panthers had the fewest selections in the league during his time in Carolina wasn't really the case, because of the relation to player values.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm kinda hoping if we wind up with Omar Khan that he also manages to hide a couple of Steelers scouting and personnel people under his coat on the way out the door.

I think Tepper drawing on his relationships with the Steelers organization is the most likely way going forward.

Rather Ironic that JR talked about emulating the Steelers when Charlotte was awarded an NFL franchise, but it took a change in ownership to make it happen.

5 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I think Tepper drawing on his relationships with the Steelers organization is the most likely way going forward.

Rather Ironic that JR talked about emulating the Steelers when Charlotte was awarded an NFL franchise, but it took a change in ownership to make it happen.

Well, one of those relationships told him that Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera would do a fine job going forward.

I'd probably draw on other relationships besides that one.

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Do you think the salary cap going down helped sign players, no? Does signing several players to contracts with the understand the cap rises every year help? Then what are you arguing? Next you'll be telling me that Gettleman trading so many picks that the Panthers had the fewest selections in the league during his time in Carolina wasn't really the case, because of the relation to player values.

What is the point you are making? That the salary cap went up? Ok It did. Common knowledge. Now why did you bring it up as some sort of advantage for Gettleman? With no explanation why? Just that it went up. You can’t just cherry pick the portion of a statement without any case next. Whatever helps you sleep. You want to discuss the entire issue, I’m game. But don’t ignore and deflect away from anything that doesn’t help your cause. 

Marty Hurney dropped a 3rd for Joe Adams. 1 catch. Then a 4th on Frank Alexander with the next pick. 

Archived